Yellowstone Off-Season

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
So a mild winter lead to some road openings early, I checked conditions, weather looked good, so off for the first time into Yellowstone. I don't think I've ever been in the park this early (May 1).

"OMG, it's already motorcycle season again?!" (Island Park, ID, Henry's Fork of the Snake River.

SAM_0543_zpsenixzmjs.jpg

I went up through West Yellowstone, MT and around Yellowstone Lake. The lake is thawing.

SAM_0545_zpswsufftcf.jpg

Parts are still iced over.

SAM_0550_zps6l3vdm10.jpg

After riding out of the East park entrance, I rode into Cody--always a good time with the cool tunnel going into town at Buffalo Bill Reservoir. Got gas in Cody, then onto the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, up and over Dead Indian Pass. I nearly had the whole road to myself (laughed as a UPS Van came by....what a route that would be!)

SAM_0552_zpswvslwdao.jpg

SAM_0553_zpsbjld7qtc.jpg

Rode up on the sidewalk since no one was around.

SAM_0556_zpsdsbmdbyh.jpg

SAM_0558_zpsj1mw1kxa.jpg

Did a little "adventure riding".

SAM_0562_zpsea1rqyye.jpg

Things got colder heading back west to Cooke City, MT, my destination for the night.

SAM_0564_zpsqehemcox.jpg

Spent the night at the Alpine Motel (Cooke City--recommended). The town was dead. One restaurant had food--choice of a burger or pork-chop cooked on a grill outside. The burger was good. No food pics...

SAM_0566_zpsjwb8o6dp.jpg

Did I mention the town was dead? If you've ever been through here in the summer, you know how strange this is. It's a motorcycle mecca during the season, sitting at the foot of the Beartooth Highway (still closed).

SAM_0567_zpssdoke1pu.jpg

They ride motorcycles here in the winter also....

SAM_0569_zpsn4xvpvk6.jpg

Leaving Cooke City, headed back to the NE Park Entrance.

SAM_0573_zpsmuckwglp.jpg

There was not a wait to get in. In fact there was no one there at all.

SAM_0574_zps9yamnq0x.jpg

Who says the park is too crowded?

SAM_0576_zpsdoywelwd.jpg

Spring runoff...

SAM_0597_zps3ipyi3qh.jpg

SAM_0577_zps3g0feqfs.jpg

Lamar Valley--there were hundreds of bison, and a lot of other critters too...

SAM_0579_zpsp7lbvaus.jpg

SAM_0582_zpsz2fdscy8.jpg

SAM_0590_zpst3k5nf17.jpg

Looking back toward Cooke CIty in the Lamar Valley.

SAM_0591_zpsrbnbzw1s.jpg

SAM_0592_zps96syjgpy.jpg

Believe it or not, this little guy (girl?) was less than one hour old. A lot of calves are dropping right now, and a photographer told me he just watched this one not long before I got there. He said momma is a first-timer and she was a little confused at first, but figured it out pretty quick.

SAM_0600_zpstl56yfty.jpg

SAM_0603_zpshq8gw84b.jpg

Different calf--further down the road I had a momma and a new one cross the road--his (her?) cord was still dangling!

SAM_0602_zpsteusfcab.jpg

This momma bear had 2 cubs, but they were hidden behind the trees.

SAM_0604_zpsbpv8qfgn.jpg

Back out through West Yellowstone after that, and home. Good start to the season
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff! Lucky you, to enjoy Yellowstone without the Disneyland tourists jamming everything up.
ok.gif

My first trip there was about a week before Memorial Day. Hot, sunny weather, completely empty roads. You might say I got a false first impression of Yellowstone. At least until the weather got ugly two days later. And until I went back in the summer. sheesh. Great experience to be there at that magic time. Thanks.

Bastage! Wish I was there, some of the best roads in the country when not tourist season.

Good stuff Spud.

Amazing weather for this time of year. I went in the first week of July around 5 or 6 years ago. Sleet and snow at higher elevations. Beartooth was closed. It's hard to predict what you will hit at higher elevations - you were lucky and I wasn't. At least the tourist traffic was relatively low the couple of days I was there.

Awesome! I need to get back up there soon, before the hords arrive for summer.