Playing Hookie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Overwhelmingly, life as a University administrator is pretty darn good. Ive got a corner office on the 2nd floor with 2 big windows overlooking the campus. Im fortunate to have a great career where I am challenged, respected, reasonably paid, and most importantly, given the authority and responsibility to administer my duties. The latter is a big one for Pants I cant have my boss sitting over my shoulder. My anal personality wont allow it. I tell others all the time that my professionalism is very selfish. I take ownership of my responsibilities to ensure I get to do them my way. My fear is that if I have to do it your way, I probably wont like it very much.

There are always trade-offs in the game of life and there are no exceptions in my work world. You are expected to deal with the questions that nobody knows the answers to. And with responsibility comes occasional stress. For a risk manager whos a self-proclaimed over-thinker with a little bit of paranoia, the boiling point is always within reach and Ive spent a good bit of time lately reigning in the pressure cooker. With maturity and experience comes wisdom. The world isnt always coming to an end. Every once in a while, you can pull the clutch of life without guilt because you know that when you get back, as long as nobody got hurt, everything else will get handled in due time.

Such was the case last week. The weather forecast was calling me one more itsy bitsy cool front reaching the gulf coast. Just one more north wind before the 6 month sauna over takes us. Its going to fall on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I really should forget about this. Ive got reports due and an audit to prepare for. The in-box is exponentially higher than the out box and the secretary is constantly bringing me more crap to read and do. I get up and stand next to the window like a dog sitting in the car at the grocery store. He knows that the world just outside of that glass is paradise, where there are thousands of smells and people that will pet him and maybe even feed him.

But alas, the dog is forced to sit in this box and the waiting is the hardest part. I stare at a few co-eds recreating on the lawn in front of the dormitory. A couple are pitching the Frisbee. One is riding his bike along a wide sidewalk. Another one is lying down on her back reading a book peacefully. For 26 years, these young adults have fed me. They have the world by the balls and most of them know it. Their energy and happiness nourishes me, especially when I am craving it.

Staring out the window on that morning, I decide that I cant take it anymore. Thursday and Friday, Im playing hookie. I called my retired father and setup a fishing trip for Thursday. We were joined by a mutual friend, also retired. The 3 of us spent the day in the swamps near Stephensville, Louisiana perch jerking under the cypress trees. We caught around 50 bream and crappie and giggled like little boys making fart noises with their arm pits. We stopped and watched a momma bald eagle teaching her eaglets how to soar. Fifty feet up, they would peep at her asking for direction, and she would reply confidently that they were doing well. We watched them for 3 or 4 minutes in absolute silence, in sheer amazement that we were so incredibly lucky to witness this. I will never forget that moment.

On Friday, the weather continued as predicted and without the slightest bit of hesitation, I went riding. I packed a picnic lunch and my sandals, and left the house with no definite plan. The motorcycle is a wonderful tool for playing hookie.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

I left the house just in time for rush hour traffic. Normally torqued immensely by this, today I am patient as at least I know these peeps are rushing to work, and I am not.

IMG_7212_zpschyc5duo.jpg

Good things will come to those that wait

IMG_7215_zpsp95ailb8.jpg

The traffic eases as I get on the I-10 heading East. I need to get across the Atchafalaya Basin swamp and the slab is the fastest way to do that.

IMG_7217_zpselmxl5nl.jpg

The water is rising as the Spring rains combine with the snow melt from parts far north of here.

IMG_7219_zpsaljqdvkd.jpg

Near Grosse Tete, Louisiana, I get caught in some more traffic as the turntable bridge is opened for barge traffic.

IMG_7221_zps4sxep3wk.jpg

The State identifies proper evacuation routes for Hurricanes to assist people in getting out. Thankfully, we do not have to worry about that any time soon.

IMG_7224_zpss5tttti4.jpg

Once the bridge opens, I pick off the slower traffic one by one as I am riding the twisty Hwy77. The FJR is running like the well-oiled machine that it is. I lean her left and right effortlessly, running 10-ish over through the countryside. At the town of Plaquemine, I decide to take the ferry across the mighty Mississippi River.

IMG_7230_zpsxuh9y0qi.jpg

The earthen and concrete levees provide flood protection for the surrounding communities.

IMG_7231_zpssghp2mnq.jpg

It would appear that we are all enjoying this gorgeous morning weather.

IMG_7233_zpsjdxujfko.jpg

Soon the ferry appears and we load up. Riding across this floating gang way is interesting.

IMG_7239_zps4cbxhqmf.jpg

They put me first in line cool.

IMG_7234_zps0u3amlpy.jpg

As we cross the river, Im entertained by all sorts of boat traffic.

IMG_7246_zpsvu1crzak.jpg

Now on the east side of the river, I run the curvy road aside Alligator Bayou, then cross the Interstate near Prairieville. As I ride past my friend Redfish Hunters house, I think about him even though I know he is sleeping now as he is working nights. One day we will ride together. Hopefully his dad can join us too.

I turn onto Hwy 22 and ride along the Amite River.

IMG_7249_zpspogtqr03.jpg

The curvy roads in Louisiana always parallel a Bayou. When in doubt, find water and follow it.

IMG_7251_zpsianzhrur.jpg

In the small village of French Settlement, Louisiana, I stop for gas and a little shade underneath this 200-300 year old Oak Tree.

IMG_7252_zpsh4aqm1i9.jpg

As I cross the Amite River closer to Springfield, I discover they are celebrating a regatta of some kind.

IMG_7254_zpsqcjzdxhf.jpg

Everyone is enjoying the day.

IMG_7256_zpsw7ngyxqs.jpg

Curious, I rode down to the boat landing to get a closer look. This has got to cost some serious money!

IMG_7260_zpsdjhxudgk.jpg

The owner of this puppy says each engine puts out about 400 horsepower. If you have to ask about fuel mileage, you cant afford it.

IMG_7261_zpsfhya5bmw.jpg

I continued northeast to my next destination.

IMG_7288_zpsejzmmxcs.jpg

This is a small State park located on a river swamp.

IMG_7263_zpsg1thfjfo.jpg

My first order of business there was lunch. I picked a shady pavilion more or less by myself.

IMG_7264_zpso7l2ve0m.jpg

All food groups represented my mother would be proud.

IMG_7265_zpsu1sdsvbw.jpg

A very short walk leads me to the nature center.

IMG_7266_zpsrpqqek1c.jpg

I enjoyed walking around and reading the displays.

IMG_7267_zpsj3eefop9.jpg

In most places, the park is very quiet.

IMG_7270_zpsbqqea3ap.jpg

However in some places, the kids are enjoying an end of the school year field trip.

IMG_7273_zpsmm906f5r.jpg

I put on my sandals and decided to take a walk.

IMG_7274_zps9hl2kgvp.jpg

Its a ½ mile elevated boardwark through the swamp and today, its wonderful. The birds are singing great songs of happiness. I wish I would have brought my binoculars.

IMG_7276_zpsiww53qki.jpg

The sun is peeking through the trees providing excellent light for my pleasure.

IMG_7277_zps07tdlmca.jpg

This looks like a neat place for a critter home, but today its empty.

IMG_7283_zpsuada9prc.jpg

There are information stations along the way that you can read and learn from.

IMG_7284_zpsrtwjl7oc.jpg

Its now getting later in the afternoon and I must start heading home. I cross I-12 and take US Hwy 190 West to Livonia before turning south toward the basin swamp. I stopped in Maringouin to drink some water under the shade of this massive oak tree.

IMG_7289_zpsulfcyd58.jpg

Shortly thereafter I rode straight home, arriving safely about 4:00 pm after around 350 miles of mental health. I promised my wife Id take her out to eat boiled crawfish and shared my adventure with her while we enjoyed our meal.

IMG_0877_zps7glpaydg.jpg

Now back at work, things are returning to a more normal schedule. Just as predicted, the meetings, deadlines, and reports were all waiting for me upon my return. Ill get those knocked down in due time. And along the way, Ill day dream about my recent adventures, and look forward to the next time I can play hookie.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

My far away friend, great writing and pictures.

I remember feeling this back when I was gainfully employed.

" I get up and stand next to the window like a dog sitting in the car at the grocery store. He knows that the world just outside of that glass is paradise, where there are thousands of smells and people that will pet him and maybe even feed him.

But alas, the dog is forced to sit in this box and the waiting is the hardest part."

Thanks for taking us along.

This is my exact plan tomorrow. The hell with it all and it will be just me and a finely tuned 4 cylinder beast between me and the pavement.

Thanks for the report,

Dave

I think you should quit your job and just ride and write ride reports....

smile.png

Excellent! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go Pants! We also enjoyed this weekend, as we know this is the last of low humidity and temps until Fall. Looks like you had a great ride, and will provide a great memory, to reflect on, when you make it back in to work.

Well done Pants!

Another simply awesome RR 'pants! I'm sure that all of us that are still gainfully employed look out the window from time to time...

Well done.

--G

Ride report by HPPants? Yeah, I am opening that thread! Good stuff, as always. Thanks for taking us along. I feel the same way almost every day, and I have an interior office. If I had windows....

Once again, mucho thanks for reading my report and your warm replies.

Rushes - You are too kind. I'm thinking about what to do after retirement 4-ish years from now. Thinking....and dreaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pants, as you expected, the work was still there when you got back. That's why you are smart enough to go riding on a day off. Don't worry, that work will be there when you get back.

As some other person with more intelligence than I said, "Never put off until tomorrow that which you can put off until the day after tomorrow."

Beautiful report, as usual, Pants.

As always a great read.

Envious not only of your ride but the fact that you have a window....

Signed, Stuck at the Cube Farm..

Great as always. We have come to expect this level of excellence from you.

Your judicious use of "time off" (whether you call it sick days, comp days, personal days, vacation days really does not matter) is exactly why I go to school when I do not feel the best. Those days taken off are best used when you are feeling the most alive as opposed to feeling near death while on a toilet or in bed.

Ride On.

Now I just hope I can take your lead, and my own advice and play Hookie on the last 2 days of school this year and head to SW-FOG.