WV weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Friday the forecast was calling for a great weekend weather wise, so I figured to take advantage of the opportunity for a weekend getaway. Since I planned to be mainly on two lane back roads, I packed the little Suzuki and headed for Marlinton. Took VA 55 to Wardensville, then the new WV 48 to Moorefield, then south to 33. The High Germany overlook from 33:

DSC00834-1.JPG

DSC00835-1.JPG

Took 28 south to Cherry Grove and turned onto one of my favorites, Snowy Mountain Rd. I've always found the best views riding it from 28 to 220 (west to east):

DSC00836-1.JPG

DSC00837-1.JPG

Grabbed some lunch in Monterey, then got on another old favorite, 84 from Van Der Pool, VA to Frost, WV. The stretch from 220 at Van Der Pool to the WV line goes through some beautiful farm country:

DSC00838-2.JPG

Checked into a room at the Motor Inn and, since there was still daylight left, went up on the Highland Scenic Highway:

DSC00839-1.JPG

DSC00841-1.JPG

Next morning, down 219 to Burke's Garden. I'd been there a couple years ago on the Wing and liked it enough to return when I got the chance:

DSC00852-1.JPG

Rt. 16 from Tazewell south is an interesting road, with some great views from the overlooks:

DSC00853-1.JPG

DSC00854-1.JPG

Stayed in Wytheville Sunday night and slabbed it home yesterday. All in all, a great weekend; the weather cooperated, motel rates haven't gone up yet, and the traffic was light for the most part. Spring is just now starting at the higher elevations, should be great riding in this area between now and Memorial Day.

Wow, very pastoral. Thanks for the photos, as I'm looking forward to EOM up in that neck of the woods, and haven't been to WV.

DSC00854-1.JPG

16 South from Tazwell to Marion, the "Back of the Dragon". A personal favorite of mine while exploring that country on my way to EOM last fall.

I met 2 cars and 3 bikes in 30 miles, absolutely a must ride road.

Thanks for the picture, I remember the view.

Last edited by a moderator:
WV has escaped me thus far. Twice on a Fall leaf peeping tour in Appalachia I've tried to get there, and twice I failed.

I hear the Highlands Scenic Byway is wonderful. I'd like to see that bridge over the New River Gorge too.

Thanks for the pics - absolutely love the farm land - did you notice any campgrounds in that area?

WV has escaped me thus far. Twice on a Fall leaf peeping tour in Appalachia I've tried to get there, and twice I failed.
I hear the Highlands Scenic Byway is wonderful. I'd like to see that bridge over the New River Gorge too.

Thanks for the pics - absolutely love the farm land - did you notice any campgrounds in that area?
Highland Scenic Highway is 22 - 23 miles very much like the BRP. Anywhere you ride in this area, you'll find interesting roads. I haven't done any camping here (old body's just not in that good shape), but Intech could give you a rundown on the better spots; I gather from reading his posts he's camped all through this area. This spot https://www.watoga.com/camping.html has some good reviews.

WV. is very nice.

New River has a old road down to the bottom of the gorge. Old bridge is still there, good view at new one from bottom.

Can't go wrong WV.

Spent a 4 day weekend in that area, 1,000 miles from home and back.

Highland Scenic Highway is 22 - 23 miles very much like the BRP. Anywhere you ride in this area, you'll find interesting roads. I haven't done any camping here (old body's just not in that good shape), but Intech could give you a rundown on the better spots; I gather from reading his posts he's camped all through this area. This spot https://www.watoga.com/camping.html]https://www.watoga.com/camping.html[/url] has some good reviews.
Watoga is a good campground, and a great starting point for some great day rides.

Highland Scenic Highway is 22 - 23 miles very much like the BRP. Anywhere you ride in this area, you'll find interesting roads. I haven't done any camping here (old body's just not in that good shape), but Intech could give you a rundown on the better spots; I gather from reading his posts he's camped all through this area. This spot https://www.watoga.com/camping.html has some good reviews.
Watoga is one of my favorites, but there are many excellent state campgrounds that serve different areas with a lot of different riding opportunities. Check out www.wvstateparks.com.

Another scenic road for leaf peeping is Williams River Road. You can pick it up off the Highland Scenic Hwy. It runs out to 20 in Cowan. Another scenic road(actually more like a ppoorly paved goat path) is Back Mountain Road. My favorite section is from Cass to Durbin. The section from Cass to Marlinton is a little better road-wise.

WV. is very nice.
New River has a old road down to the bottom of the gorge. Old bridge is still there, good view at new one from bottom.

Can't go wrong WV.

That would be Fayette Station Road. It is good to take after stopping at the visitors center. If you stop there take the time to walk down to the bridge viewing overlook. Well worth it!

WV. is very nice.

Can't go wrong WV.

That would be Fayette Station Road. It is good to take after stopping at the visitors center. If you stop there take the time to walk down to the bridge viewing overlook. Well worth it!
So Bob...you coming to FODS? Hogan is...

Latest posts