Waterproof gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpg0511

Reaction score
What gloves do you recommend for wet weather? I recently rode 8 hours in the rain and my leather insulated gloves soaked through in about 2 hours.

These work for me. Slide right over my Aerostich Elkskin Ropers.

motorcycle-rain-gloves-header.jpg

The waterproof gloves are kept on the same shelf as the Holy Grail. Beware though, do not slip on the copious amounts of unicorn poop leading to the store.

"Water resistant" is the best you are going to get, whatever it says on the packaging. Some resist water for longer than others, most do not. Gore-Tex linings should be waterproof, and maybe they are, everywhere except where they are stitched or otherwise joined. Maybe they are waterproof when new, for a while, until you wear them!

Even the water resistant gloves become heavy and unpleasant when the outer fabric, usually leather, absorbs the life-giving liquid.

There are several things you can do. In summer, don't worry too much. They'll get wet and they will dry again. Keep on truckin'. In the winter, spring and fall it is a real problem.

Keep as much water off them as possible. Hand Guards help here ... a lot. In light rain the better "waterproof" gloves will keep your hands dry for several hours before they succumb to nature. If conditions are worse than that you have to protect either the glove or your hand.

Some folk wear latex or rubber gloves under the glove. They will keep your hands dry but sweaty. They are also vulnerable to water running down your sleeves into the gloves.

Buying glove covers is my favorite solution. Outdoor Research makes a number of mitts designed for skiing and snow-mobiles. They are either Hypertex or Gore-Tex, can be expensive, are waterproof.

An Aussie company makes a glove called "Rain-Off" This is a fully waterproof over-glove that comes right up to the mid-forearm. Can be tricky to use but is reputed to be a suitable home for goldfish if filled with water. Nothing gets through.

I have a pair of Fieldsheer Over-Gloves. These are okay and do extend the dry hands, even in hard rain, for quite a while. They are fiddly to get on and awkward to use, but they do the job, for a while. They are only $12

I really should spring for Outdoor Research Gore-Tex overmitts. They are very expensive, but they work and they would suit the riding of anyone who has no choice but to ride, whatever the weather. That might only apply to me a few times a year, and it might not rain, but if it does they would be money well spent.

Waterproof /= Gloves

I have both sold and tried many "Waterproof" motorcycle gloves. I have yet to find a glove or glove system that will keep ones hands dry during an extended ride in the rain. 75 mph forces water into places no glove designer ever dreamed it could/should/ or would go, all ending up on one's hands!

I'm looking into some type of overglove myself. One of the main issues that I've have is water running down my sleeve into the gauntlet and filling the glove with water.

I keep a set of simple cotton jersey gloves and thin nitrile gloves in a ziplock bag on my bike for those frog strangler days. Put the jerseys on, then stretch the nitriles over them. It's the cheapest AND most waterproof solution, also disposable. For normal "rain shower" days, the Gore-Tex gloves work fine if the temperature is cool. Otherwise, I just let my hands get wet then dry out in my leather gloves. It makes for a great fit.

I'm looking into some type of overglove myself. One of the main issues that I've have is water running down my sleeve into the gauntlet and filling the glove with water.
I just tuck the gauntlet section up inside the sleeve.
That's the only way to keep your hands dry in heavy rain. From one who has ridden in a lot of rain of all strengths, all wind directions, for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the info. My gloves lasted well over an hour in the pouring rain so l guess its time for covers.

Just seems like you're trading one problem for another. I'd end up with rain going up my sleeve in a heavy prolonged rain, even if cinched tightly. Just can't win, I guess.

I keep a set of simple cotton jersey gloves and thin nitrile gloves in a ziplock bag on my bike for those frog strangler days. Put the jerseys on, then stretch the nitriles over them. It's the cheapest AND most waterproof solution, also disposable. For normal "rain shower" days, the Gore-Tex gloves work fine if the temperature is cool. Otherwise, I just let my hands get wet then dry out in my leather gloves. It makes for a great fit.
Nitrite gloves is what I use. I've been doing that for a long time. Works great. My hands never get wet. :)

Just seems like you're trading one problem for another. I'd end up with rain going up my sleeve in a heavy prolonged rain, even if cinched tightly. Just can't win, I guess.
If you haven't tried it, give it a go. It may be counterintuitive, but it works, at least for me and everyone I've ever ridden with or talked to.

Ok, you don't want a gaping gap between jacket sleeves and gloves, I just do the fastenings up on the jacket sleeves round the gloves.

The worst part of wet riding is getting your gloves on if your hands are in anyway damp. Can be challenging, depending on the design of the glove, the lining material, how well the lining is attached to the glove outer.

And, of course, the greater the hurry to get going, the longer it takes. Particularly if the rest are sat on their bikes, engines running, looking at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cheap waterproof nylon over-cover is what I use. I have had bad luck with a couple of different pairs of so-called waterproof gloves. The absolute worst part is getting them back on after they (and your hands) are wet; fingers stick to the lining and the lining separates from the outer glove. Almost impossible to do in a hurry when you have to - i.e. at toll booths!

I have a pair of HD gloves I bought off a guy who had worked for a HD dealership in Florida but didn't get his visa to continue working so was going back to Australia, he was taking a trunk load of product he felt were exceptional? They do let the water in eventually but they dry soft and usually quite quickly! On those very wet and cold rides I use Neoprene kayaker's gloves from our local outdoor store. They absorb the water then your body heat warms the moisture next to your skin just like scuba diving in the same material! Works for me.