Spline

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou D

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am bringing her in for new tires soon. I remember reading something about greasing the spline on the shaft drive due to a lack of lube that causes rusting. Is this something I need to have done? I have 15,000 miles on her. Thanks

Did you put the 15K on the bike or is that what the mileage on the ODO currently is? If the latter you need to get out an ride more. That's low miles for a 2006 FJR. Either way I would have it done. It's only 4 bolts easy off easy on.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have basic mechanical skills, you can do this. After the rear wheel is taken off, just 4 bolts to take out, and the pumpkin and driveshaft slides right out. If not, take it in and have your mechanic do it. However, this is an easy thing to do, and you would save money and know more about you bike by doing it yourself.

If you have the driveshaft splines done, it makes sense to do the universal joint serviced as well. It has splines on the engine side as well. If the shaft needs lube, the u joint will as well . They are all part of the same system and should be serviced at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is having the tires changed by someone else. I presume the dealer. That's a lot of the work out of the way first. I know its easy but why not have them do it. If I was me I would at least want to see the condition the splines are in.

Dave

Thanks for the responses. I bought the bike used with only 3000 mi about 3 1/2 years ago. So I do ride it a little. In fact, we`re riding down to the Gap next month so I want to be sure the bike is in tip top shape. I`m changing the tires a little early (8,000 mi) so I`ll have fresh rubber. I would do the spline myself but since the wheel will be off any way, I`ll let my dealer do the work. Besides, lifting a 650 lb bike is not something I would look forward to.I`ll be in on a new FJR as soon as Yamaha lightens the load. Maybe a 3 cylinder?

Hey Lou. I'm just a few minutes south of you, by the college. I don't know what your setup is at home but you're welcome to swing by and use up some garage space. Everything is here to easily pull off the wheel and address what you've talked about, maybe even take care of some other p.m. stuff while at it. Don't hesitate at all if this helps in any way.