Windshield vents (ala Goldwing)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblanken64

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with installing a windshield vent on their FJR? I'm wondering how one would work regarding reducing turbulence and increasing airflow behind a taller screen. A Goldwing style vent would have the advantage of being able to close as well.

I get so much wind on my gen III, I've not pondered how to get more air. I'm interested in the abstract process of cutting plexi without damage though.

I installed a "goldwing" type vent in my Gen I AHAMAY touring screen. It worked pretty well but could have been mounted higher - more toward the middle - of the screen. Instead it tended to mostly ventilate the front of my tallish tank bag. Another mistake, I cheaped out and bought some crappy knock-off for about $25 instead of a better quality vent, maybe the actual Honda piece, for about twice that. Eventually the operating mechanism got sloppy and fell apart. I've actually been considering going this route again with a better quality piece mounted higher. I didn't trust myself with cutting it in so my shop guy, who likes a creative challenge, did it. The installation was pretty slick but IIRC the curvature of the screen slightly exceeded the curvature of the vent piece, so some extra sealing measures were taken.

Pretty much a non-issue on the Gen 3's, although the airwing route does allow for a significant amount of air control beyond anything else you can reasonably add. The Hondapotamus vent would help with the back pressure when the shield is full up I would assume. I am not sure as to the effectiveness of that vent as there has to be a fairly strong laminar flow pushing the air right over the vent rather than through. ICBW. I have the Yamaha touring screen on my G3. I use a laminar lip on my cross country ventures and in addition to my air wings I have yet to find a situation when I am not able to comfortably adjust air flow for a smooth ride. My G1 was equipped in the same manner and was very comfortable. My G3 with the addition of the factory port bleeding air into the cockpit is a tad more comfortable in my humble opinion.

I get plenty of protection from the Cee Bailey that I'm using, but in the summer it does block a lot of air that the vents in my coat would welcome. Even my mesh jacket doesn't get the airflow that I'd like. I end up keeping the windshield fully down to get less that adequate ventilation. This also results in increased noise. The ideal would be to get some airflow behind the screen when it's up, so I still get the benefit of reduced noise.

Holy grail, I know.

Perhaps instead of a pure vent, it could act like a scoop when opened. Sort of like opening the old-style vent windows on cars to full reverse. That would definitely pull in some airflow behind the screen.

The windscreens are made of polycarbonate not plexiglass. Plexiglass is not freindly to cutting and tend to shatter easier. Polycarbonate is much better to machine and can take much more abuse. Thought I would mention this fact in case your attempt to modify your screen.

Dave

I've tried the CalSci and for me it didn't seem to be as good as my Cee Bailey. The vent at the bottom of the screen seems to have the purpose of relieving back pressure rather than providing airflow, and it seems to be too small. In fact, the wind noise and turbulence behind the CalSci seemed to be more pronounced than the Cee Bailey, even thought the CalSci is a bit taller. Now maybe if that vent were larger it would be better.

I get plenty of protection from the Cee Bailey that I'm using, but in the summer it does block a lot of air that the vents in my coat would welcome. Even my mesh jacket doesn't get the airflow that I'd like. I end up keeping the windshield fully down to get less that adequate ventilation. This also results in increased noise. The ideal would be to get some airflow behind the screen when it's up, so I still get the benefit of reduced noise.
Holy grail, I know.

No...just need to spend for a Gen 3. Nothing holy about it. I know a lot of sinners that own Gen 3s.

biggrin.png

EDIT: BTW, on my Gen 1s, I just used the stocker all the way down...plenty of airflow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy grail, I know.

No...just need to spend for a Gen 3. Nothing holy about it. I know a lot of sinners that own Gen 3s.

biggrin.png

EDIT: BTW, on my Gen 1s, I just used the stocker all the way down...plenty of airflow.

Yeah, I'll probably try the stock screen pretty soon. I haven't had it on in a very long time so I've forgotten what it's like.

I do have to admit, the stock shield was nice up until about 50 mph, low or high. Once at highway speeds though, it became kinda nasty. I was much happier after I put the touring screen on. All the way up there is a little back pressure, but not too much for my tastes.