Rear axle dropped 3 ft onto concrete floor...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsher

Reaction score
FJR was on lift, with axle out for tire change. Heard/saw axle hit the floor but mechanic said nothing. Note that I did not see the angle at which it hit the floor, but it was lying on the lift so I assume it was close to horizontal impact. Any reason to be concerned about invisible damage such as hairline crack?? Thanks!

The axle should crack from being dropped. If it did then the metal was fatigued/crystalized and would have failed under the stresses applied to it in everyday riding. As long at the axle is still smooth, ie without gouges then it should be ok.

Very unlikely to be any damage. The axle is pretty stout stuff. As suggested, check for deep gouges. Light surface scratches are acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it... Pretty hard steel... Aside that the threads didn't get buggered up, but the it wouldn't go back together right...

Which could easily be fixed up proper with a thread file

Last edited by a moderator:
Non issue, I dropped the the whole dam bike a week and a half ago and I am still riding and living to tell about it.

Ride more worry less,

Dave

As we say in aviation............."you can drop it twice........once on the floor, once in the trash".

Many thanks to all. Good news is I've never dropped the bike (an '04)! FWIW, new Pilot Road 4's are nice although I was very happy with my Avon Storms as well. Easy to please, I guess.

Latest posts