Monitor Pass - Riding the Sierras Series.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
Arguably for some, but personally for me, some of the best riding in the alpine country of the Sierras, and with some spectacular views! The link below is to a Road Report on one of my favorite and probably my most ridden highway passes in the Sierra mountains.

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2015/05/monitor-pass-riding-sierras-series.html

DSC_0388.jpg

Thank you for reading!
smile.png

Beautiful pictures looks much like central Indiana....the snow that is!!

What are you using to take the pictures as you're riding? Not a go pro is it?

Thanks for sharing!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="crumpadump" data-cid="1230530" data-time="1431824632"><p>
What are you using to take the pictures as you're riding? Not a go pro is it?</p></blockquote>

Yes, it is a GoPro, on a remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Jpcarcass" data-cid="1230598" data-time="1431839750"><p>

I was just a little south of that last weekend and I posted about it, but here is the link to the pics I took. What an incredible trip.<a href='https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1Acs3DhwzbMnvw&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link5&cid=EM_sharshar'>https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1Acs3DhwzbMnvw&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link5&cid=EM_sharshar</a>Thanks</p></blockquote>

Nice pics Jp. Would love to get to that area soon. Too bad our paths didn't cross that weekend. That's a very pretty FJR! :)

You've got your shot framing totally dialed in. I love the context of seeing your gauges and mirrors while also seeing the road and surrounding landscape. You mentioned at one point a 50mm being a little better at rendering perspective more accurately, but I'm a sucker for an ultra wide angle and anything with a narrower field of view just wouldn't be the same
smile.png

Great shots and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reading! :)

I enjoy just the 'right' amount of bike in the shot as well, I picked up the Gopro because I wasn't stopping for pictures as much, yet I wanted pictures while on my ride.

I hear what you are saying about the wide angle, it does offer a unique perspective and you get a more immersive feel because you can see more around the rider, what I felt a little disappointed about was that it wasn't quite translating the perspective of the human eye. Which is very difficult to do with cameras, but I wanted to make the point that the Vistas were grander in person than as perceived by the wide angle shots. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice photos and commentary. I'll be crossing there east to west next Mon. with my Go Pro helmet cam intact. I've honestly never taken stills with the GP while riding as I'm always video taping instead and usually stop for stills with my digital Olympus but I love the quality of your stills on the fly so I may just have to try that this time. Thanks for the precursor to one of the highlights of my upcoming trip.

Thanks for reading!
smile.png
I enjoy just the 'right' amount of bike in the shot as well, I picked up the Gopro because I wasn't stopping for pictures as much, yet I wanted pictures while on my ride.

I hear what you are saying about the wide angle, it does offer a unique perspective and you get a more immersive feel because you can see more around the rider, what I felt a little disappointed about was that it wasn't quite translating the perspective of the human eye. Which is very difficult to do with cameras, but I wanted to make the point that the Vistas were grander in person than as perceived by the wide angle shots.
smile.png
Out of curiosity, where is your GoPro mounted? I couldn't tell exactly, which also says a lot about your excellent framing! At first I thought it was on your chin, but maybe it was on the top of your helmet...?

Very nice pictures - the deep blue of the "big sky"provides some excellent color. Here in the south (and southeast) we rarely see that, only in the dead of winter and then of course, there is no other color to compliment it - except brown.

One day I will ride in the Northwest....