Trunk, backrest, or bare?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you run for storage/passenger support?

• Nothing

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Trunk/top case

Votes: 59 60.2%
  • Passenger backrest

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Regularly switch back and forth

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
What do you run, top case/trunk, passenger backrest, or nothing except what came on the bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably going to depend upon whether or not you carry a passenger. I don't, and I do not like the looks of any of the add-on rear trunks. They look like they don't belong on the bike...like an afterthought IMHO. And it's not just the FJR, they look like an afterthought on the BMW R1200RT bikes as well. And unless you observe the really light weight limitations on the rear of the FJR, you are likely to break the sub-frame like so many have when they overload the rear end and hit a pothole or two. I prefer a good waterproof back-seat luggage rack bag solution. I also like Geraulds "stiffy" and luggage rack products that affectly addresse the light-duty FJR rear storage weight...however even this solution will have it's limits.

Givi 47 on Givi plastic mount with Garauld stiffy kit. Trunk holds my lightest stuff, mesh jacket, extra gloves, maps, spare shield, dirty laundry.

The SR357 alleviates load concerns of the tail sections less you're carrying a RIO that flaunts the bikes overall load rating, if Givi is your thing. The SR357 and Gerauld's product were the only things I looked at.

I run with a trunk mostly (Givi Trekker 33 or 46) on a rack I designed and fabricated myself (nobody makes one like mine). It sits directly behind me, the 46 has a back rest on it. If my wife and I ride, I remove the rack assembly and mount a trunk on an SR357 (which I have but have not used yet).

I ride 95% solo.

Dan

And, BTW, mine is weight unlimited (within the weight range of a passenger) since it is mounted directly to the structure that supports a passenger.

Dan

And, BTW, mine is weight unlimited (within the weight range of a passenger) since it is mounted directly to the structure that supports a passenger.

Dan
HEY!!!

Nice workmanship. Betcha had to do a lot of measuring to make that happen. Did you whip it up on a CNC?

Gary

darksider #44

Dan
HEY!!!

Nice workmanship. Betcha had to do a lot of measuring to make that happen. Did you whip it up on a CNC?

Gary

darksider #44
Thanks! I wish I could have used a CNC, but no. I measured, hack sawed, filed, belt sanded and drilled each part. I used a saber saw to cut the 1/8" thick deck piece and bent it 10% down over the edge of my bench. This was an extremely time consuming and tedious job to do, I thought I would never get there. It has worked perfectly since day one and I absolutely love it. One downside is it prevents access to the the under-seat area. I have to remove two fasteners on each vertical strut + the three bolts in the rear to remove it. Not huge, but not simple either. An ideal design would be one that pops off with quick release latches of some type and still retain the strength of the assembly as it is now.

Once I finished, assembled and tested it, I disassembled all parts and had them powder coated in semi-gloss black. Then I measured each part and modeled them on my 3d CAD system I have at home. I have 2d pdf drawings of each part + the assembly if anyone is interested. No charge, I'll send 'em free.

Dan

All of the above.

Mostly bare back

Have a sergeant seat with passenger back rest when the wife wants a short ride with me.

Yamaha top box for long trips to carry my rain gear and other light weight stuff to give room in my side cases.

Depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. For most rides to work I just have a tank bag. Riding with a group, I put on the tail case so I can throw my helmet and jacket in there.

Yes and the Corbin Smuggler ....
If and when I get my FJR, the Smuggler will be one of the first things on my farkle list...from the images I've seen of it on the FJR, it's not only wonderfully utilitarian but even manages to make the bike look better. That is can also be switched off and on with the passenger seat in less than a minute is just icing on the cake.

I don't like the looks of a top-case and rarely if ever have a passenger since the wife rides her own bike. For extra storage on long trips I use the Ventura luggage system and have been a fan since owning my 2001 Blackbird. Easy on/off for the pack, securely mounted and lots of storage. Between the Aero Spada VII and Aero Delta VII packs I can either have 51 or 35 liters of storage individually or zip them together for a whopping 86 liters of total storage. Once I'm at my location the pack(s) come off in about 2 seconds and I can quickly switch out the pack-rack for the grab handle if I don't want the empty pack-rack sticking up and looking like a sissy bar. https://www.ventura-mca.com/products

Dan
HEY!!!

Gary

darksider #44
Thanks! I wish I could have used a CNC, but no. I measured, hack sawed, filed, belt sanded and drilled each part. I used a saber saw to cut the 1/8" thick deck piece and bent it 10% down over the edge of my bench. This was an extremely time consuming and tedious job to do, I thought I would never get there. It has worked perfectly since day one and I absolutely love it. One downside is it prevents access to the the under-seat area. I have to remove two fasteners on each vertical strut + the three bolts in the rear to remove it. Not huge, but not simple either. An ideal design would be one that pops off with quick release latches of some type and still retain the strength of the assembly as it is now.

Once I finished, assembled and tested it, I disassembled all parts and had them powder coated in semi-gloss black. Then I measured each part and modeled them on my 3d CAD system I have at home. I have 2d pdf drawings of each part + the assembly if anyone is interested. No charge, I'll send 'em free.

Dan
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking CNC since I saw your CAD drawing. Nice job, dude. I get what cha say about time consuming. Stuff like that takes forever, but hey, ya got something to be proud of, and ya made it with yer own two hands.

Gary

darksider #44

Bare for 9 years on the '05, but the SR357 and Givi V47 with a modified backrest is always on the '14. Don't really care for the look, but it's so damn useful that I never take it off. Can't tie knots (Army, not Navy) so securing a bag on the rack was always a PITA. The Givi backrest was too thick, pushing her forward, so we yanked the cover and took the electric filet knife to it. Removed about an inch and a half of foam, scooped a concave shape in the center and stapled the cover back on. All good now. Thanks to Fred for the security pin mod; Givi trunks have been known to go bouncing down the road.

Dan- your fabrication is most excellent... I have run a Givi E55 with OEM running lights on an SR357 almost continuously since acquiring my 2014. This week, I'm trying a CWI passenger backrest and no topcase. You can definitely feel the difference in the bike, not necessarily better, but different. I miss the storage of the E55. I wish someone made a commercially available product to mount a topcase/backrest right behind the rider like Dan's, and wish someone made a better passenger backrest option for the Givi E55. If your pillion wears a jacket of any type, they won't need a backrest with that case. But mine reports a t-shirt isn't nearly enough cushion and most find the only prefab option, the givi backrest, sticks out too far.

Latest posts