How soon is too soon?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I've got the plan. When to implement? I want a new FJR...next year.

My 2005 has 88,000 on it, and I have promised myself that this is the first bike I get 100k on. At my current rate of chewing up miles, that's sometime next summer. And then I'm getting a new one,

Don't care what color it is. Just needs to be the new model. I'm from DFW and I'm planning on riding the old girl to Cullman and getting the new one and breaking it in by going to Key West, FL. And back for some service.

The real question. How soon do I need to contact D & H and tell them I'm on my way. I'm pretty sure it's a little too soon. A year? 6 months? Less?

I have heard that the prices there are very good. But does anyone have specifics? What was the full retail price that Yamaha quotes, and what has somebody actually paid to pick one up at D & H, for, say, a 2014 and a 2015 model?

Geeze, with all your accolades D&H should give you the deal of the decade. If everyone on the FORUM passes this story on D&H will have to request a larger allocation of FJR's for model year 2016. Perhaps they will give you a 2015 carry over for half price!!!

I would call up and ask. Make sure that you get someone who is at least an ASM, as the sales people often come and go so quickly. You want a connection that will still be there when you make the switch.

If they have a good amount of bikes, chances are they may have one from an earlier year, unused, that the'll discount for you.

Just ask for Rina. Not sure if I spelt it correctly but close enough. Family out fit been there for years I believe. Did a fly and ride back in 2008. I am putting some green stuff away for my next one also. When the 2008 gives up the ghost we will pull the trigger. Not sure when that will be since I will be riding it till it dies or I do. Lets see who goes first I guess.

Dave

You have the same plan as me! I ride just under 1,000 miles a month, and I have about 75 months left (2021 FJR?). I think I need to schedule some long trips...

Update. Now with 93k miles. Hoping for 100k about next March, and then a new FJr as a retirement present to myself. (involuntary retirement anticipated about April 2016. YAY!
smile.png
)

A couple of questions. I am almost certainly going to go get a new FJr from Jerold and Renaa (are those names spelled correctly?) at D & H in Cullman. Local Yamashop is full list price ONLY.) I mentioned in the beginning post I would like to ride the old one there and trade in. But some of the postings about D & H say that maybe they wouldn't want and old one. Can anyone verify? Has anyone done a trade-in there?

My bike works, runs great, tracks straight. I made the mistake of ordering a Chinese replacement fairing and installing it. From 10 feet away, it really looks great. There are serious close-up ugly parts. I am not going to give the bike away, but...does anyone know what a ballpark low-ball figure would be for the value of the bike? Or where to find that? (I still have the old fairing pieces - cosmetic damage only on them - scratches from 0 mph fall-overs, one long crack.)

Next: when 'normally' do the new model FJr's come out? Looking at the official Yamawebsite, there are already 2016 models pictured, such as the FJ-09 and YZF 600's. Does anyone remember what month in 2015 the new model 2015's came out?

Back to D & H. Does one 'order' a bike from them, or do you call and ask what is in stock?

How about accessorization? I want a trunk - either another Givi, color matched, or a native Yamaha trunk. I'd like to buy and send them the latest Garmin GPS, and have them wire it and mount it correctly. I am tall with a long torso. When I picked up my 2005 I took along a pair of handlebar mount inserts to add an inch, to reduce the lean just a bit. And I immediately found an aftermarket windshield that was taller. Has anyone had D & H make cosmetic mods to a bike before going and picking it up?

Not that I'm counting days until retirement...but...191.
rolleyes.gif

Next: when 'normally' do the new model FJr's come out? Looking at the official Yamawebsite, there are already 2016 models pictured, such as the FJ-09 and YZF 600's. Does anyone remember what month in 2015 the new model 2015's came out?
Detailed in the FJR Model Comparison Matrix. Announcement and availability are one of the top-most rows. ;)

And it will be updated after the '16 information comes out.

Most of your questions should be directed to the folks at D&H. I am certain they have dealt with most of those questions before. And they would be the only ones who would know if they have changed a policy recently.

Plenty has been discussed here regarding high-miles FJRs, or high-miles bikes in general. What are they worth? Not much. As a trade-in? Even less than not much. Most dealers flat don't want them; won't take them. Many prospective buyers remember the air-cooled days when a high-miles bike had 30,000, and believe that is still the case today. There are hundreds of H-Ds for sale - 10-15 years old - with less than 500 miles per year on them. So...when someone sees 100K on a motorcycle, they generally think of it in the same light as herpes. Very few riders - mostly a few Beemerophiles, 'Wingers and FJRtista know 100K isn't really all that much. It has been suggested a better use for a 100K+ bike is to keep it as a back up or loner, part it out for more $$$, or to consider giving it (or selling it dirt cheap) to a needy friend or relative. Heck, maybe donate it to a charity and claim a nice tax deduction. My first FJR - an '03 with a salvage title (I bought back from the insurance company) - had 75K. What was it worth? Four years ago, when it booked for around $5-6K with clean title and "average" (30K?) miles, I sold it for $2,500 to my brother-in-law and sister who still own it, ride it and love it. After 20 years, they got back into motorcycles as a result and couldn't be happier. That was a very good use for my old-timer, and a very fair deal for all. And now I get to go touring with some of my favorite people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm personally not a fan of the OEM trunk, it's tall, doesn't hold that much, and everything inside gets tossed around. Givi lower profile, sometimes with internal straps that keep things in place. As far as installing a GPS harness, I'd say do it yourself so you know it's done right and proper...... but I'm a DIY type.

Plenty has been discussed here regarding high-miles FJRs, or high-miles bikes in general. What are they worth? Not much. As a trade-in? Even less than not much. Most dealers flat don't want them; won't take them. Many prospective buyers remember the air-cooled days when a high-miles bike had 30,000, and believe that is still the case today. There are hundreds of H-Ds for sale - 10-15 years old - with less than 500 miles per year on them. So...when someone sees 100K on a motorcycle, they generally think of it in the same light as herpes. Very few riders - mostly a few Beemerophiles, 'Wingers and FJRtista know 100K isn't really all that much. It has been suggested a better use for a 100K+ bike is to keep it as a back up or loner, part it out for more $$$, or to consider giving it (or selling it dirt cheap) to a needy friend or relative. Heck, maybe donate it to a charity and claim a nice tax deduction. My first FJR - an '03 with a salvage title (I bought back from the insurance company) - had 75K. What was it worth? Four years ago, when it booked for around $5-6K with clean title and "average" (30K?) miles, I sold it for $2,500 to my brother-in-law and sister who still own it, ride it and love it. After 20 years, they got back into motorcycles as a result and couldn't be happier. That was a very good use for my old-timer, and a very fair deal for all. And now I get to go touring with some of my favorite people.
I'd agree with Dr. that they won't give you much if anything even though the bike still has life. Maybe keeping the bike for mucky day rides or selling it to a relative/friend for very little might get you more than a dealer trade in. Although sometimes you never know whats on a dealers mind. I noticed some dealers with Goldwings on the floor with over 100k miles and I know someone who just paid 10 grand for a 15yr old Goldwing with about 100k miles on it. I dont think thats the norm but the guy who bought it was in a fender bender and was going thru the hassle of getting the bike repaired. Rather than deal with that he just traded it to a dealer. So even though he seriously overpaid he didn't have to deal with the headache of doing something with his old bike.

All those D&H questions? Only D&H will know the answers. And you might want to ask if they'll support a fly-n-ride. Lets see what Google says:

D & H Cycle Inc  

Motorcycle Dealer

Address: 18115 US-31, Cullman, AL 35058
Phone: (256) 739-1840
Hours: Open today · 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

PS: That would be 9 am to 5 pm CENTRAL time.

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: