prevent tank rust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lele

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the best way to prevent rusting of the inside tank?(condensation)

- leave the tank full of petrol?

- leave it completely empty?

- sometime use a tank water absorbent additive?

ciao

I don't know about your particular bike (and I hope this isn't a problem on any but the oldest FJR's), but it was always less trouble and cheaper in the long run to have them coated. There are reasonably priced coatings that can re-line a prepared tank effectively. Short of that, leaving it full is the best preventative.

Leave it full of petrol to eliminate condensation problems and every so often put 200-300ml of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) into the petrol to mix with any water that is present and this will then get combusted. Over here we have products called "Dry Fuel" but IPA does just as good a job.

it is a problem of any bike with iron tank, if u never drain your tank a layer of water form with condensation during years...the bubble stay under the petrol (water is havier and unmixable) and start to corrode the bottom of the tank

mine is rusted, I bought used and the previous owner never drain it

plus some gas station sell petrol mixed with small amount of water here in Italy

Ha... you need some of our US gas. By law, they put something like 300ml of alcohol in it at the pump whether we want it or not.

Gary

darksider #44

Ha... you need some of our US gas. By law, they put something like 300ml of alcohol in it at the pump whether we want it or not.
Gary

darksider #44
Yes, Gary, but that ethacrap is saturated at about 4.5% water, then it phase separates leaving the water in the bottom...... Jeremy has the right idea, tank full during storage and add some IPA..... or Seafoam which contains IPA. It will absorb far more water than ethacrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
IPA???? What, pray tell would you suggest?

I hear Founders makes a top rated Wheat,as Does Hopslam here in Michigan. Sculpin in sandy eggo does a nice job also..

Then you have Dogfish Head from Delaware making a splash, followed by White Oak Jai Alai from the Tampa area...

Decisions decisions...

I hear Founders makes a top rated Wheat,as Does Hopslam here in Michigan. Sculpin in sandy eggo does a nice job also..

Then you have Dogfish Head from Delaware making a splash, followed by White Oak Jai Alai from the Tampa area...

Decisions decisions...
No good. They contain the regular ethanol. On the other hand, who in their right mind would want to pour any of the above into a gas tank?

Decisions decisions...
No good. They contain the regular ethanol. On the other hand, who in their right mind would want to pour any of the above into a gas tank?
Me.... That way when somebody's rusty tank causes failure, I can get drunk as a Canadian at a Maple Leaves game and sit in a drunkin stupor while the smart guys clean lines and shit..

Tank rust ain't a big problem really I think duochebag Howie was the only one who suffered any miss adventure because of it. But that was only because Beemerdons borrowed his bike and pissed in the tank for a week plus.....

Nothing to see here Folks. Move along, the bodys are on the way to the morgue.

Here's a result of water in a fuel tank (which rusted the inside of the tank)sucked into the fuel pump filter. This particular pump is a single line(no return for an FZ6, the R6's, R1,

etc have a return line but you get the idea..

To my knowledge, the FJR pump is very similar. BTW, that filter is NOT replaceable.

What I use in the boat (large fuel tank) is K100; https://k-100.com/?page_id=74 It does NOT remove the water but suspends it so it can be burned off as the engine burns fuel. On my outboard engine, a Yamaha F150, an inline 4 cylinder, FI'ed, it has basically a carb (a VST) with the HP fuel pump in it. This VST can be drained.

After using K100 and NON-Ethonol fuel for awhile, the visable moisture eventually went away, fuel NOT cloudy. In the approx 9 years I've been using it, no issues with water, no corrosion to the original, 18 year old fuel tank...

Hi,

ciao
My 2 cents..

It depends on how long you plan to let it sit.

2 months, leave the tank full.

2 years, leave it completely empty.

Use of an additive like Stabil would be good either way.

*edit*

And use a battery tender....

Decisions decisions...
Well, I'm a hophead and contend the best IPA's are produced in CA and OR. Lagunitas IPA is generally considered the benchmark IPA. I have consumed copious quantities of it but never added it to my FJR gas tank.

Hi,

ciao
My 2 cents..

It depends on how long you plan to let it sit.

2 months, leave the tank full.

2 years, leave it completely empty.

Use of an additive like Stabil would be good either way.

*edit*

And use a battery tender....

why use a battery tender??

For those that don't ride regularly, or are purely seasonal riders, it's the most battery-friendly way to keep the bike ready to start. I have two and have never used them, but if something came up where I couldn't ride for a month or more at a time, I'd plug one in.

For those that don't ride regularly, or are purely seasonal riders, it's the most battery-friendly way to keep the bike ready to start. I have two and have never used them, but if something came up where I couldn't ride for a month or more at a time, I'd plug one in.
I think he was referring to be a bit off topic as the thread was about tank rust.
smile.png

With that said, I have read about using a battery tender and a certain procedure (takes a day or so) about eliminating inside tank rust using a chemical reaction.

If someone needs it, I can probably find it

yes infact

maybe unplug the battery from the bike will avoid electrochemical polarization of iron (...rust...)

Greetings

DO NOT coat your tank.

The fuels eat the rubber and contaminates your fuel. Starting problems begin to occur.

The rubber loses adhesion and separates from the tank and rust breeds between the rubber and tank metal.

Taking the rubber out is a nightmare when problems occur. (Its all basically rubber stuff)

Peace