covered/not covered

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter

Reaction score
So I bought my very lightly used 06 a few months ago and shes been great fun to ride. I also have been reading and hanging out so my knowledge has grown, even performed some routine maintenance on her. So today I call my local Yammy shop to talk to the service dpt about her and the various issues I have. She does have altitude sickness (but I know how to work around it) I was told the time limit on this had expired and so I was SOL ... ok so I guess save my pennies and a PC5 with O2 sensor is in my future. Told them my LCD was giving me the 17 mpg issue and again I was told I was SOL that that also had expired... hrumph. I was told they would do the ignition failure repair as well and spider grounding repair, both of I'm not having any issue with and am unsure if I should let them do it or if its a let sleeping giants sleep kind of thing. Whats you guys opinions? are these issues that will come to visit some day and so doing them now is wise move or are they if they ant broke don't fix em issues?

Any open recall must be performed by a dealership regardless of how old the recall is. The "altitude sickness" issue was a recall. I just had it done on my '07 less than 2 years ago so I know they still have the ability to perform this. At first glance it would appear your particular dealership just doesn't want bothered.

I'd call other dealerships that are within a reasonable drive and ask for their help.

Best of luck to you.

First and foremost...read our section on these problems. They're the most detailed and complete anywhere.

Second, it's interesting on the notion the altitude issue fix may have expired. Recollection was that was a manufacturer initatiated campaign. The 17 mpg thing may have been as well.

But, the spider issue was a NHTSA Recall and was a fundamental safety issue. I'm not sure it expires.

Again, we've laid out the resources for you in the linked area. Please use them by posting to the respective areas about your experiences,

The "altitude sickness" issue was a recall.
I don't think it was! It was a technical bulletin issued by Yamaha....not NHTSA. I remember us admins cogitating because Yamaha copyrighted the material. Unless you can find a link at a NHTSA site?

Again, lets please use the variety of pinned threads for these different issues.

Any open recall must be performed by a dealership regardless of how old the recall is. The "altitude sickness" issue was a recall. I just had it done on my '07 less than 2 years ago so I know they still have the ability to perform this. At first glance it would appear your particular dealership just doesn't want bothered. I'd call other dealerships that are within a reasonable drive and ask for their help. Best of luck to you.
Walter,

+1 on BkerChuck. When talking to the other dealerships, it's probably best NOT to mention the refusal(s) of any other dealerships in the past. It does not help your case, and they may be tempted to refuse you for the same reasons. Even if asked about dealers closer to you, just say "I don't like those guys," or "I heard this place was better for maintenance." Make each place refuse to fix those recall items separately, and see if they all give you the same reasons. As a last resort, I would write to Yamaha, but only if nobody wants to help. Once you give them the bike to fix for one recall, they might be more willing to fix the older ones, also.

I'd want to get any recalls done, especially if recalls can "expire" somehow. If you ever want to sell or trade the bike, it's good to say that all recalls are done. The Yamaha mothership (1-800-962-7926) can tell you if any or all recalls are done, for any year bike by VIN. Ask them if recalls can expire, and let us know what they tell you.

Cheers,

Infrared

Stealerships, kiss your ass when you are buying and disappear when there is a problem they should fix. It is of course all our fault, we are way too stupid

to own & drive a motorcycle, just ask them dumb asses at the stealership.

I bought my bike in CA about 3 years ago. I lurked here for quite some time and read everything I could about what to expect from the bike. Once the logistics were worked out and the bike got to DE, I took it to a local Yamaha dealer and had them run the VIN to check on any recalls that had not been done. It came back with 5 recalls and only 1 had been completed. They told me to wait about a week for them to get the parts in and then call to schedule when I would drop off the bike. They called me once the work was completed and I only paid for the time it took them to remove and re-install some additional wiring I had done for my fuze block, etc. The altitude sickness was one of the 5 recalls on my '07 and they never mentioned anything about any of the recalls "expiring".

This was the one and only time I had any work done to the bike by a dealership - and they re-affirmed my opinion that their service dept is comprised of a bunch of jerks.

The last thing I'm here to do is step on anyone's toes.

That being said, I worked for a dealership for almost 16 years part time. Granted it was a HD/Buell dealership not Yamaha. My understanding, from the dealership principals was that recalls must be performed by the manufacturer regardless of the age of the bike provided the company is still in business. When I bought my FJR I asked the local Yamaha dealership to check the VIN and let me know of any outstanding recalls. They are the source of my saying "altitude sickness" is a recall as it came up as one of the open recalls on my bike.

Even though HD closed the doors on Buell in 2010, as the parent company they are still required to do any outstanding Buell recalls and they still have to maintain parts to do so. They must also make major mechanical parts available to owners for a period of 7 years after they shut it down. Cosmetic items and the like are exempted from this requirement.

I think we have to distinguish between safety recalls (spider issues, ignition switches etc.) and ones initiated by Yamaha (instrument cluster, ECU altitude problem). While the latter conditions are annoying and might make for unhappy customers, the former are items that could leave you stranded (or dead). I can certainly understand Yamaha's reluctance to cover the cluster and ECU in perpetuity, but I don't think they have any option for safety-related recalls.

I can't recall the rules after 9 1/2 years away from the business. But, if the original poster will pm me his VIN I will take it to my old store and have the service manager run it and let all know what is coveted and possibly not covered.

Yamaha pays good on Warranty/Recall work. There would be no reason for a dealer to turn away good money unless perhaps they didn't have a qualified tech, which seems unlikely.

Anyways the offer is open.