2014 Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride2it

Reaction score
I am looking for a tank bag for a 2014 FJR. Preferably a hinged unit that will not be required to be removed, instead just hinge upward. Any ideas? or recommendations for a tank bag?

The Yamaha Touring tank bag isn't too bad, if it doesn't rain.

Tends to collect and store water while it's rain cover bellows and blows off.

I only use tank bags a few times a year, so it's fine for me.

Be better ones around.

Hmmm, I've not seen a "hinged" tank bag before. I currently have the Cortech 2.0 18L tank bag, and absolutely love it! When expanded, it's huge. Which I like for trips, otherwise I keep it zipped up. Here's a review of it from Compacc, though I didn't buy mine from there.

Big Mac used to make the only hinged tank bag set up I ever seen and I would have one on my FJR, except they went out of business. Bummer. They worked great for a quick fill-up without removing the bag. The hinging was on a plate that the bag mounted to and not on the bag itself. I now have the Givi tankloc set-up which is probably the next best thing, but still have to remove it for fueling up.

Bags Connection from Twisted Throttle. I use a medium size and it locks right on the tank ring and does not touch the paint.

I was fixated on a tank bag, but with a helibridge and the bars cranked all the way back, I think the largest tank bag I could swing would be the size of a twinkie. I'd definitely go swing-up tank-ring style though.

The only swing away tank bag is made by Bagster, but it only works with their gas tank cover.

I currently use the OEM. It's easy to unlatch the front two quick-fasteners and hinge the bag back on its rear two.

Not that I'm recommending it, it's not the best bag in the world, but it does a job.

Just put mine on ready for a trip, pics show "normal" and "ready for fuelling"

(Click on image for larger view)

I've got the Yammie bag and the Helibridge riser.

Ya, it nearly hits with bars pointing straight ahead. I'm shopping for a new bag now as well.

I like the givi tank lock system. the bag bottom is hard, and floats over the paint, so it never touches. It is easy on, easy off, and you can move it forward and backward by moving the mounting bracket on the bag itself.

fjr1300bags.jpg

tbone ... stock bars on the bike or do you have any kind or risers/setback? I'd like to get either the Give it Bags_connection style of

bag but with the MV setbacks I'm concerned about interference between the bag and bars.

Thanks,

Gary

st4gary -

I have the Givi tankloc and the Helibar bridge. Yes the handlebars hit the tankbag - even with the bag in the full rear (closest to the seat) position. On full left, the XS307 15lt bag edge molding is in exactly the right place to honk the horn and on full right the bag hits the starter button which lights the ABS lamp. I have installed a 'horn defeat' button to kill the horn when I know I will be doing some full lock maneuvers with the bag on, like parking. But on long trips I like the storage space, top map pocket and side pockets (perfect place for NEXUS card, the card registers on the scanner, I dont even have to take it out of the left pocket) My clear pinlock face shield fits within the front curve of the tankbag without vertically expanding the bag. Also the tankbag is a pefect fit inside a saddlebag if you park somewhere sketchy.

The back of the tankbag is curved and narrower than the front, I have toyed with rotating the bag 180 to get more clearance. But the Givi distributor in Canada cant or wont sell me any parts and I am not ready to mess up perfectly good bag. I think you would need to alter the tank base, the lock ring and the release lever. Did the 'horn defeat' button instead!

If you PM me your email, I can send you some photos of the the bag and the clearance issues.

- Steve

I have the Bags Connection City and the Helibars and have no issues. It narrows at the front so that the bars don't hit even on full lock. I have a Bags Connection GS bag (for my GS, naturally) as well and I have been trying it on the FJR - it also fits well (it's the same shape and the City but taller and the back of the tank part is deeper).

I also have one of the Givi's that TBone has but I like the City more because of the shape - the Givi sticks off the back of the tank (you can see it in the pics) and looks kind of weird. You don't see it when you are on the bike but from the side it was annoying. It is a nice bag, other than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
tbone ... stock bars on the bike or do you have any kind or risers/setback? I'd like to get either the Give it Bags_connection style ofbag but with the MV setbacks I'm concerned about interference between the bag and bars.

Thanks,

Gary
I have the stock bars on the bike, no risers. They are in the middle position (stock). I currently only get a bit of interference at full lock. If i moved the back back to the farthest position, I probably wouldn't get any.