Touring Pants - Badlands Pro?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I am struggling with whether to find a safer pair of riding pants than my Klim Mojave for our long trips. I only got into wearing good gear in the last few years by the peer pressure of this forum and the need for some overpants when I ride to work in the cooler temps. I have to admit that I don't always wear the pants and boots when I commute my short and reasonably safe country commute to work every day, but I always wear a helmet, jacket and gloves. The Mojave pants are a big plus over just my dress pants and they are convenient enough that I have little excuse to wearing them.

When the wife and I take long trips (usually on the wing these days) we do ATGATT. I have two pairs of riding pants: the Klim Mojave, which are really just Motocross pants and don't offer a lot of road protection, and a pair of Fieldsheer Titanium which I just don't like. The Fieldsheers are colder in the winter than the Mojave, and hotter in the summer too. The Mojave are fine without any other pants, but also fit me really well with jeans. This is why I like them so much.

I just think I may be in for a surprise if I hit the pavement one of these days. They've got a little body armor but as I said, they are motocross pants so they may not be made for a slide.

With this being said, I've been considering upgrading to some good pants before we head out West in a week. (Dang, is it a week? Time's flying by). Do you think I would like the Badlands Pro since I've only been happy with the motocross pants? It seems they are geared more for some off-road needs. Also people struggle with the fit sometimes, from the reviews. I'm 5'10 and 220 so if the legs are very long it could be a problem. It needs to be pretty cool, or I'll give up and go back to the Mojave type pants. Some protection is better than none.

Goodman,

I wear both the Badlands Pro jacket and the Badlands Pro pants (ATGATT). I like them both a lot. In an attempt to answer your questions:

• Protection and durability - The pants are very rugged and quite well-armoured. I have confidence that if I go for a slide they'll provide about as much protection as can be bought short of full-body 1-piece leathers.
  • Heat - Are they warm riding in desert heat? Yes. They have 1 large vent zipper on each side (along the outer thigh) which helps significantly and the material is breathable, but thick black fabric is going to heat up. You might consider the grey colour if they still offer that to keep the heat down a bit.
  • Fit - You'd best try them on if you can. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and weigh 165 lbs. Mine (the "tall" size) fit me quite well but I did have to sew in little elastic "stirrups" to keep the cuffs from riding up over my left boot when I put my foot up and down at stops.
  • Armour - I found the knee pads to be very "floppy" and difficult to keep in place using just the awkward velcro tab system inside the liner. I rigged up little black elastic straps that I just throw around the outside (at the bottom of the knee pad) that keeps the pads in place and everything much more comfortable. There have been times that the hip pads have dug in a little bit, but it's never been a big issue for me (and was resolved by flipping them around so the beveled side is against my body).
  • Weatherproofing - So far (knock on wood) through 18,000 km of use they've been 100% waterproof even in the foulest weather. Very impressive. I like that I wear the same pants every ride, regardless of the conditions (although I may wear anything from skivvies to thick long-johns underneath, depending on the temperature).
  • Other stuff - pockets are a little awkward the way the zippers and flaps are arranged, but workable. Reflective hits are nice.
Overall, I'm very happy with my experience with the pants. Not perfect (the biggest issue being the padding positioning) but very good.

Hope this helps.

PS: Now that I've taken the time to answer your post I hope I can be permitted some more "peer pressuring": WEAR ATGATT! Having personally hit the pavement at a mere 29 km/hr (off a bicycle, not a motorcycle) I can attest that no amount of convenience, comfort, or laziness is worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants as well. I agree with everything GMAN has said. Great pants. I have the grey ones.

Some people complain that they fit oddly in the butt and legs but I really like mine (I'm 6'3", 215#, 34" inseam and wear 36T)

Klim has come out with many new versions and new models recently. Although the Badlands Pro are great pants they fit very loose, are cut to go over a motor cross style boot with more of a off road look and are heavily designed for off road or adventure touring. If I were you, I would look at the new Torrent or Latitude models as they look and fit much more appropriate for on road use. I think it will have more of the look you would want on the FJR or Wing and the new Torrent comes with a 3/4 length leg zipper for ease on don and doffing. I am on my second set of Latitude coat and pants after a deer strike. I would think you would also like the fit of the Latitude over the Badlands as well.

I have taken a liking to my Klim Latitude gear and have a bad lust for the new Apex and Induction jackets and Torrent pants for use on the FJR.

I decided against the new pants. It seems those who are happy with the Badlands seem to be of the tall variety as I'd feared. Looks like I'll have to pass on Alex's good deal on last year's model.

But thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Torrent or maybe one of the Rev-It varieties that match my jacket for the next trip.

But thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Torrent or maybe one of the Rev-It varieties that match my jacket for the next trip.
I've got my second pair of Rev'It Airwave pants coming in. The last pair and my build didn't quit agree with each other. Small matter of the top button popping loose any time I breathed.
rolleyes.gif

I normally wear a 38x32 blue jean pant and these were the XL size (was going to layer them with some lighter base layer). I've got the 2XL short on order now to try.

Overall I really liked the build of them and if these will fit I'll be happy with them for summer use and even for cooler when layered appropriately.

I have been looking at Motoport and seems like it could be the last gear you'd ever buy. According to their website and warrantee. Also seems like with the optional liner it could be used in any weather.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NHredliner" data-cid="1261650" data-time="1443497636"><p>

I have been looking at Motoport and seems like it could be the last gear you'd ever buy. According to their website and warrantee. Also seems like with the optional liner it could be used in any weather.</p></blockquote>

I have the motoport pants. I have a 2nd hand pair as in they were cut for someone else similar in size to me. The liner works pretty well but I'm thinking without warmer base layers they won't work well below 50. I am very happy with them however. They're also not the coolest in the summer due to all the pads. However, I'm sure they'll protect me in a fall.

I have MotoPort 2-piece suit, and with liner has worked well down to 40 degrees (slushy snow, rain). without liner breathes pretty well up into the 90's.

$$$, heavy, bulky, but superb protection.......

Tour Master Venture Aire. They are mesh overpants, awesome in summer, with zip-in thermal liners for the cold. I've ridden them around town down to 25 degrees, not sure I'd want to on the road without at least sweats under them, too. Crash-tested way back in 2007 and replaced with another pair. I've only needed one more replacement since then, the side zippers just stopped holding together after 4 or 5 years.

They could do with better protection on the hip,where they have a pretty thin foam pad, but the knees have hard armor, adjustable to 3 positions in their pockets.

The Venture Aire 2 is out, so the original is on closeout pricing most places, if they have your size.

5'10", 230+ish lbs and love my Badlands Jacket and pants combo. Much more so than the Latitude combo that sits in the closet (need to get motivated and sell them). XL Jacket and 40 regular pants. They fit normalish people as well as tall ones. Even roundish ones like me
smile.png

They do sit low on the waist when you put them on but sit perfectly when in the saddle.

I need to pick up some pants myself. Never wore them much. Usually jacket, gloves and boots. After trading my gen 2 in on a harley I got away from gear all together. Its amazing how bike culture affects you. Now with my gen 3 im back to leather jacket, gloves and boots.

Klim Badlands gear or eat for 3 months, it's an easy choice for me.
no.gif