Previous Goldwing Owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DezzertRider

Reaction score
When I'm at one of the local super dealers, I will often go sit on a GoldWing. I have to admit, the things are comfortable and from time to time think that I might want to get one some day. I've noted that there are a few forum members that use to own a Goldwing and now FJRs. I always heard that once you own a GoldWing there is no going back to anything else.

For those that have owned GoldWings and got rid of them, why?

Had a GL1200 and a (2002) GL1800. Loved the GL1800 - munched the miles in comfort and was very comfortable for my wife as a passenger. Handled great but trying to ride it hard in the twisties all day would wear me down - 900+ lbs of plastic and aluminum to throw around. Had over 80,000+ miles on it when it was sold - just time for something different (went to a DL1000 Vstrom and then back to sport-touring m/c's).

I have had 1-1000 2-1100's 1-1200 no 1500 and 3 1800's

Goldwings are hard to beat. I will have another one but at 48 bikes variety is the spice of life. I have nothing bad to say about the 1800's they are a great machine and will keep up with my FJR

well I guess I do have a bad word on the 1800's changing the air filter. that is one pain in the A$$ but it get easier each time

my gosh what a mess that is compared to others. changing tires is easier, spark plugs are easier did I tell you about the dam air filter? it is a mess

find someone and swap for an afternoon

you will be amazed I bet. they are heavy till they get rolling. center of gravity is low. slow speed maneuvers are easy and twisties just leave it in 5th and twist that thing in your right hand

not as good gas mileage as the FJR audio is great

try one. let us know your thoughts

Depends how and where you want to ride. I owed an 1800 for about 2 years strictly to made my wife comfortable and get her to ride with me. After 2 long trips all over the NW, she decided it wasn't for her and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It has tons of power and was a great mileage gobbler but that thing was a PIG in the twisties. No fun at all and as UCWINTERS stated it just wears you down fighting the weight. Honda also needs to figure out suspension. It sucks to say the least. You feel every bump in the road on the front end. There are other pluses but none that would have justified me keeping it with my brisk riding style. Just my 2 cents.

GL1800, 3 years, 20K miles, upgraded the piss poor suspension but never figured out how to overcome the law of physics....it's too damn heavy.....and too much like driving a car. I didn't like the straight up sitting position that puts all your weight on the tailbone or the side radiators that dump all the heat on the rider when the thermostats open. Still is a great bike for riding 2-up if the passenger is nimble enough to climb unto the rear seat without kicking the saddle bags and trunk.

The GL1800 is a fine bike, comfortable for both pilot and RIO. My bride won't even sit on anything else (degenerative issues - comfort is not an option).

After about a dozen years on it, I really looked forward getting an FJR - lighter, quicker, more nimble. Anything the Wing can do, the FJR can do better, other than feet-forward lounging. Either bike is capable of 1000 mile days, though mountains are easier on the FJR.

Around town? Leave the barge at home!

Last edited by a moderator:
"For those that have owned GoldWings and got rid of them, why?"

After riding a Goldwing for over ten years I realized, at age 46,

that i was simply too young to be on a Goldwing.

I bought my first sport-tourer ( now on my third ) and never looked back.

For where I live and how I ride a sport-tourer ( currently an FJR ) is simply perfect.

It's now been 13 seasons on STs and I can't imagine riding anything else.

And for those who keep hearing that nothing beats a Goldwing for two-up,

that's certainly true for the passenger, but the FJR is the best for the rider.

It accelerates, brakes and turns better than anything else I've ever ridden

two-up. Including a Goldwing.

Thanks for everyones perspective on the goldwing. The common theme is that they are too heavy and the suspension blows. Certainly makes sense because they are over 900 lbs. before you put a rider and gear on one.

Had a GL1800 once, new suspenders and a taller 70 series Avon Cobra rear tire.... it was a 900 lb. sport tourer, good for covering miles, but always a struggle to keep up with other sport tourers........ just too heavy. Great at covering miles on long trips though. It's been a couple of years, took a short ride on my buddy's the other day...... um...... great machine although I don't think I'll have another one anytime soon.

Loved the Wing! Great long distance two up bike, unfortunately the wife quit riding so much. Pretty much became a heavy commuter, which is not what it was designed for. She had to go, not the wife, the bike. The smoothness and power of the FJR occasionally brings back memories.

I could never bond with my 2008 Level III Gold Wing. I never liked the fact that it had a place for a CD player, a CB radio and fairing speakers. Who uses corded headsets in 2015? What is this, 1985? It ran great and its reliability is unquestioned. It will run all day every day. But it's heavy like a cow. Great low end torque. The stock suspension blows. It's like taking an RV out anytime you want to go anywhere. It's bloodless. Not visceral like a motorcycle should feel. It makes you feel old when you're not. I tried very hard to love it. I could not. The FJR can spoil a man. If you're going to ride two up most of the time it will keep your passenger quiet while you serve as the mahout. I guess I would rather ride a horse than operate a stage coach. I recognize these are mainly subjective points but we are talking about motorcycles after all, and you asked the question.

My question is why not have both.... I ride each bike for a different reason. Variety is the spice of life.... And the dual sport also needs some attention from time to time...
I like your thinking!

Have a wing right now. Thinking of buying an FJR. Seems like a good idea
smile.png

I currently have both, love riding the wing long distance....took it to CA last year, 8000 miles in 18 days! Like the FJR even more but no long trips yet, planning on Billings, MT in July. Definitely more fun in the twisties than the wing, but check out Yellow Wolf riding his wing on the Dragon.

When I'm at one of the local super dealers, I will often go sit on a GoldWing. I have to admit, the things are comfortable and from time to time think that I might want to get one some day. I've noted that there are a few forum members that use to own a Goldwing and now FJRs. I always heard that once you own a GoldWing there is no going back to anything else.
For those that have owned GoldWings and got rid of them, why?
How many times have I heard "Once you've owned a _________ you won't go back." Really, if there were one motorcycle that'd be perfect for everyone, there'd only be one motorcycle ... period.

I rode a Goldwing GL1800 for 11 years and 111,000 miles. The bike was big, comfortable, had lots of bells and whistles, and more closet space than my house. It even handled pretty well on a crooked road. But I ride for one thing -- fun. And my 16-year-old ZRX had more of that then the Goldwing. It was my preferred ride on a fun Saturday or Sunday, and I routinely do 400 mile days on it. Yes, I'm pretty much whupped when I get home, but if I'm not worn out by the time I get home I don't feel like I've been on a ride.

Then, being the old dude that I am, I developed degenerative disk disease in my lower back, and the upright position on the 'wing became too painful without a back brace. I endured that for a couple of years and finally realized that the ZRX doesn't hurt my back like the 'wing. I'd always sort of been interested in the FJR, so I check the ergonomics of the FJR against the ZRX. (https://cycle-ergo.com/) and discovered that they are virtually the same, except the FJR has more legroom. I've had the FJR now for two years and 30,000 miles, and I haven't had the back brace on since the 'wing went away.

I'm 68 years old with the aforementioned back problem, but I do 700-mile days pretty routinely on the FJR. Even without the back problems, I prefer the FJR. It's just more fun. What do you want? The Porsche of motorcycles or the Cadillac of motorcycles?

What do you want? The Porsche of motorcycles or the Cadillac of motorcycles?
Funny you should mention that.

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S: 0-60 mph 3.5 sec | Quarter mile 11.8 | MSRP $106,580.00 (base price)

2013 FJR1300A: 0-60 mph 2.8 sec. | 1/4-mile 10.98 sec | MSRP $15,980.00

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you want? The Porsche of motorcycles or the Cadillac of motorcycles?
Funny you should mention that.

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S: 0-60 mph 3.5 sec | Quarter mile 11.8 | MSRP $106,580.00 (base price)

2013 FJR1300A: 0-60 mph 2.8 sec. | 1/4-mile 10.98 sec | MSRP $15,980.00
smile.png

It's hard to come up with comparisons in the auto world. After I posted that I thought of the Cadillac CTS, which is not exactly the kind of Caddy I was thinking of. I guess it boils down to what's more important to you. The sport side of motorcycling or the touring side.