TomTom - Motorcycle Dealer POI Search

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
It has long pissed me off that there is no POI category in the TomTom Rider Motorcycle GPS that allows one to search for Motorcycle Dealers or Shops near you or in a specific city.

I initiated a support request with TomTom a week or two ago, after several attempts to break the multikultural Phone Support barrier I received a phone call from Khalid. Khalid provided the following steps in an email, because it was damn hard to follow on the cell phone.

In order to find a Motorcycle Repair shops as Points of Interest request you to follow the below steps on your device.

1. Tap on the map Screen
  2. You will be able to see three option.
  3. Plan route, Plan winding, Manage itineraries
  4. Tap on the option called as Plan route
  5. Go to Point of Interest
  6. Go to POI in City
  7. Enter the city where you reside in.
  8. Tap on the city name
  9. Go to Search POI
  10. Type in Motorcycle
  11. Tap on OK
  12. You will see the different repair shop as a POIs
If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST.

I have not yet tried this but will and wanted any others with TomTom Riders to give it a whirl as well.

Thanks, please post your results, if it don't work I'll keep after Khalid!

It works great, John. But, if you type just "motorcycle", it'll give you everything that has to do with motorcycles. If you're looking for the local Yamaha dealer, type "Yamaha" and the Yamaha dealer shows up. Thanks! It'll come in real handy in a pinch.

Not so fast Moosebreath!

I've been playing with it and it misses a lot of businesses, it is not nearly as comprehensive as their TomTom created Car Dealers POI.

I'm going to email Khalid and continue to bitch.

Having an iPhone, I just ask seri.

When she finds what I am looking for I ask her to navigate.

It just simplifies everything.

Not so fast Moosebreath! I've been playing with it and it misses a lot of businesses, it is not nearly as comprehensive as their TomTom created Car Dealers POI. I'm going to email Khalid and continue to bitch.
Yep. The search just looks up local businesses that have the word "motorcycle" or "yamaha" or whatever you typed in their business name. It has no detailed knowledge of what the business actually is.

On the other hand, you don't need no stinking internet connection for it to work...
wink.png

Siri is an idiot.

Not so fast Moosebreath! I've been playing with it and it misses a lot of businesses, it is not nearly as comprehensive as their TomTom created Car Dealers POI. I'm going to email Khalid and continue to bitch.
Yep. The search just looks up local businesses that have the word "motorcycle" or "yamaha" or whatever you typed in their business name. It has no detailed knowledge of what the business actually is.

On the other hand, you don't need no stinking internet connection for it to work...
wink.png

Siri is an idiot.
I just called Seri an idiot, the response was, "After all I have done for you."

I think she is pissed.
waaa.gif

I'd sure like for the fricking TomTom to have an internet independent way to find all the dealers or shops in/near a town like it does for the car dealers.

TomTom sent me an email stating that because i had not replied in 72 hours the issue was deemed resolved and has been closed.

I replied as follows

The issue is not resolved.

Khalid provided a solution which provides a spotty and incomplete return.

Try the following test: follow Khalid's instructions for Spearfish SD USA, zip code 57783. The only Motorcycle dealer in town, a Honda and Yamaha Dealer is Outdoor Motorsports, they do not appear in your search. There are multiple motorcycle repair and custom shops in Spearfish, none if them are found either.

There has to be a better solution for a Motorcycle Riders GPS! The POI should be listed just like the Car Dealer POI is listed as a factory installed and populated POI.

How do you determine which car dealerships are listed in your Car Dealer POI?

I tested the Khalid solution for several other cities as well, the response rate was generally unsatisfactory. Many dealerships were missing when one compares a web search to the Khalid TomTom Motorcycle POI search. The goal should be to be able to search and locate a Motorcycle Dealer or Repair Shop without having to access the cell phone or internet, just like the Car Dealer POI does. Anything less is a disservice to your TomTom Rider customers.

Unquote.

It would help if others would echo my comments and make some noise.

Email comments to:

[email protected]

Use the following Subject Line

Re: TomTom: POINTS OF INTEREST - MOTORCYCLE DEALERS? [incident: 150520-000966]

H E L P

After multiple exchanges with TomTom, and after updating my TomTom Home, my TomTom Rider, my TomTom Maps and them inspecting my computer operating system and hardware configuration, I received a telephone call from another fine young man, with a different accent, from a different call center with a blocked phone #. He reviewed all that had been done so far and then after he was certain what I wanted, informed me that my problem had been sent to the next level management team.

I then received the following in an email:

Dear John,

The reference number for your query is 150520-000966

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding regarding the POIs for your TomTom rider.

At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line Team, Product Management and Marketing Team.

With Kind Regards
Khalid B.
Customer Service Representative

UnQuote

I'm pleased to be attended to by the second line team now!

I don't know if Khalid was on the First Team or the Third Team and I'm not certain either of the Teams would have appreciated me asking.

I'm supposed to get another email if and when the Second Team acts on this matter.

H E L P

If you have a Tom Tom Rider I would appreciate you sending an email to

TomTom Support Team <[email protected]>

with the subject line of: TomTom: POINTS OF INTEREST - MOTORCYCLE DEALERS? [incident: 150520-000966]

In the body of the email include your TomTom Rider Serial #, located on the back of the TomTom Unit.

Then tell Tom Tom that:

TomTom Motorcycle Rider GPS should have POI's which locate all motorcycle dealers and motorcycle repair shops by City, Zip Code and/or Near Me.

It is apparent that you have a rather complete set of data for Automobile Dealers and Automobile Repair Facilities that is sortable by Postal ZIP Code or Town and State, there is no similar Data Set for Motorcycle Dealers or Motorcycle Repair Facilities.

The Motorcycle Dealer POI should be listed just as the Car Dealer POI is listed as a factory installed and populated POI.

I tested the work around solution for many other cities, the response rate was generally unsatisfactory.
Many dealerships were missing when one compares a web search or the Yellow Page Phone Directory to the results from the work around TomTom Motorcycle POI search.

The goal should be for the TomTom Rider User to be able to search and locate a Motorcycle Dealer or Repair Shop without having to access the cell phone or internet, just like the TomTom Rider does when utilizing the Car Dealer POI. Anything less is a disservice to your TomTom Rider Motorcyclist customers.

Thanks,

John

The Zumo is the same way. I don't get how a MC specific GPS does not have MC dealers listed. Maybe many of them come and go too fast.

I will be quiet now, I have done my bit for Freedom, Motherhood and Apple Pie

I am in the hands of the "Second Team"

I will have another drink and go to bed!

The Zumo is the same way. I don't get how a MC specific GPS does not have MC dealers listed. Maybe many of them come and go too fast.
Nope, I think they have just never thought about it because the geeks that did the software are not Riders.

I'm certain it is a revenue opportunity for them, If I were Honda, Yamaha, Harley etc I'd pay money to make certain that all my dealers were in the damn mapping software. You can bet they pay Google to be there in Google Maps etc.......

Now for the drink!

I found that some motorcycle dealers were buried amongst cars garages.

When in Scotland last time, one of our number found herself with a worn out tyre.

(Click on image for larger view)

We were near the city of Perth, so I looked in my Tomtom for points of interest in Perth (I don't think it makes much difference whether you ask for "Near you", "In a city", "along your route"; it searches the same database).

Went down the list of types of POIs. Couldn't find "Motorcycle ...", but did find "Car repair/garage"

Selected that,scrolled down the list, came to "Cupar motorcycles":

Selected that, got the map offering and hit "Select"

Then navigated to that, thinking either they would have a tyre or would know someone who did. They did have one, she got a new tyre fitted straight away.

The name had changed, but the phone number in Tomtom's database was still valid, although we didn't use it. This was a Honda dealership, happy to fit the tyre to her BMW.

Tomtom's list isn't by any means complete, but it did get us out of a potentially difficult situation.

Tomtom's list isn't by any means complete, but it did get us out of a potentially difficult situation.

And that, IMHO, is the Crux of the Matter; TomTom's list isn't by any means complete.

It should be!

Manufacturers will pay to be on that list.