I've never thought about Memorial Day Like This…

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food for thought indeed.

Spent a couple of hours talking to a 91 year old former Army Air Corp B-17 pilot who spent many hours flying missions over Germany during WWII. Amazing. He spoke of how scared they were and how crazy they were off duty. Seeing the faces of enemy fighters as the flew by and how often they had to clean the stuff out of their flight suits after missions. I think of how I was at 21, man these guys were made from very tough stock.

I asked him what was the best thing after the war ended besides people not dying anymore. He had an answer that blew me away. He said" We got to go back to living again". How cool is that!

Thanks for your service all, DrWing

I've seen a number of battlefields and the attached military cemeteries that are always nearby, including Gettysburg, Arlington, Custer National Cemetery, and even Culloden in Scotland. Doesn't matter much, they all give me the same feeling. You feel the sadness, and the waste, no matter how compelling the cause was or was not. And of course, not all the casualties are buried there. Well, it's good to think of such things this Memorial Day. I hope everyone does.

In England, canada, Australia etc they use Nov 11 and call it remembrance or armistiCe day, of course 2014-2018 have special significance because of ww 1

We used to observe it in all sports events too, so 1 minute of silence before any event around that date.

I didn't know about the observation at 3pm local time , so will definitely observe that this year.

Warmongers, as a whole, tend not to be (or to have been) on the battlefield. They are, more often than not, a group of people who send someone else's children to die.
Another name for "ChickenHawks", most of which went underground or managed to find rocks to hide under until Vietnam was over.

Warmongers, as a whole, tend not to be (or to have been) on the battlefield. They are, more often than not, a group of people who send someone else's children to die.
Another name for "ChickenHawks", most of which went underground or managed to find rocks to hide under until Vietnam was over.
Not just Vietnam, but several dumb excursions since then as well.

I agree wholeheartedly, Bounce, and have been known to tell quick-to-war acquaintances that they should volunteer if they think war is the answer. If you are too old to volunteer, then send your kids.

As a PROUD veteran, I cannot help but see war's cost in lives, limbs, minds, and millions upon millions of dollars. War must be our last option, but if it is the only option remaining, it should be conducted with all the speed and power we possess.

To those who died in the service of this nation -- wartime or peacetime -- I appreciate each of your sacrifices, and hope your families have come to terms with their loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
HUD, I absolutely agree with you.

My wife and I are both Retired Navy Vet's.

Seems like way too many folks with little to no skin in the game are making the decisions about who gets to go into harms way and when.

When the "Country" goes to war it needs to be the "Whole Country" with War Bonds being sold to pay for it at the time of the conflict ala WWII.

PearlHarbor2011037.jpg

HUD, I absolutely agree with you. My wife and I are both Retired Navy Vet's.

Seems like way too many folks with little to no skin in the game are making the decisions about who gets to go into harms way and when.

When the "Country" goes to war it needs to be the "Whole Country" with War Bonds being sold to pay for it at the time of the conflict ala WWII.[img=[URL="https://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/bigjohnsd1/Pearl%20Harbor%2070th%20Anniversary%20Trip/PearlHarbor2011037.jpg%5D"]https://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/bigjohnsd1/Pearl%20Harbor%2070th%20Anniversary%20Trip/PearlHarbor2011037.jpg][/URL]
I agree,but a little different take....the day we send boots on the ground enact a draft with very few,if any,deferments and wage a tax of say 10% to pay for the deployment.Everyone should have some skin in the game,not just a few volunteer patriots and their families.

When it costs them nothing, more people are likely to pump their fists in the air whenever someone cries out for (yet another) war.

I agree wholeheartedly, Bounce, and have been known to tell quick-to-war acquaintances that they should volunteer if they think war is the answer. If you are too old to volunteer, then send your kids.

As a PROUD veteran, I cannot help but see war's cost in lives, limbs, minds, and millions upon millions of dollars. War must be our last option, but if it is the only option remaining, it should be conducted with all the speed and power we possess.

To those who died in the service of this nation -- wartime or peacetime -- I appreciate each of your sacrifices, and hope your families have come to terms with their loss.
+1, Gunny; JSNS, Oorah! Extremely well stated comments from Uncle Hud, Bounce, bigjohnsd and Others, I agree with you Gentlemen 100%!

Sergeant Don Stanley

5/32nd Artillery Battalion

1968-1974 US Army

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Memorial Day, yesterday, Rio Rancho Police Department had their first officer involved shooting death.

A guy and his girlfriend had been robbing small Albuquerque stores/businesses all day. They left Albuquerque for Rio Rancho where the department was behind on updates. A 49 year old retired Airforce officer who became a Police Officer 4 years ago saw something funny and pulled their car over.

One thing led to another and the car fled. The officer gave chase and when they stopped again, the male opened fire. The officer was hit 5 times and killed on scene. The male, who also shot his girlfriend in the foot left her there and fled.

Good police work located his car in Albuquerque's South Valley. Bad guy was surrounded and surrendered. Guess he didn't want to engage in a fight where he would lose. Fucking pussy!!

The officer leaves behind a wife and children. He was also one of my cadets, as our department houses Rio Rancho cadets. Plenty of my guys have been in shootings. He is the first one to ever lose that battle.

On Memorial Day, we lost a soldier and police officer who survived war, but lost his life to a piece of shit thief. God bless his family!

Latest posts