New tail bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Just got a new larger tail bag that works really well with Garaulds rear rack and thought I would share it in case anyone was looking for a cheaper alternative to a hard tail pack. I used to use the Saddlemen R1300LXE for my daily commute to work to pack lunch, work clothes etc. 1300 being the cubic inches capacity.

saddlemen_r1300_lxe_deluxe_roll_bag_detail.jpg

It worked well and the straps fit the rack like it was made for it.

I found that most of the time I was really stuffing it to maximum capacity and started looking for a larger bag. Saddlemen makes the TR3300DE that fits like a glove on the rack, and has 3300 c.i. of capacity.

saddlemen_tr3300_de_deluxe_rack_bag_detail.jpg

IMG_20150522_060944911_zpsjukwdbkc.jpg

IMG_20150522_060956930_HDR_zpscc7ulhqg.jpg

IMG_20150522_061001464_HDR_zpsh2ovsrdo.jpg

It slides just a little from side to side, but if you cinched it down tighter it probably wouldn't. Revzilla has it for $152, but I found a new one on Fleabay for just under $130. Had it for about a month now and use it daily for work. Very happy with the quality, and would work well as a L.D. bag as well. FYI, I just tried, and if it is empty, my full face HJC will fit with room for some stuff on the side!

Just got a new larger tail bag that works really well with Garaulds rear rack and thought I would share it in case anyone was looking for a cheaper alternative to a hard tail pack. I used to use the Saddlemen R1300LXE for my daily commute to work to pack lunch, work clothes etc. 1300 being the cubic inches capacity.
saddlemen_r1300_lxe_deluxe_roll_bag_detail.jpg

It worked well and the straps fit the rack like it was made for it.

I found that most of the time I was really stuffing it to maximum capacity and started looking for a larger bag. Saddlemen makes the TR3300DE that fits like a glove on the rack, and has 3300 c.i. of capacity.

saddlemen_tr3300_de_deluxe_rack_bag_detail.jpg

IMG_20150522_060944911_zpsjukwdbkc.jpg

IMG_20150522_060956930_HDR_zpscc7ulhqg.jpg

IMG_20150522_061001464_HDR_zpsh2ovsrdo.jpg

It slides just a little from side to side, but if you cinched it down tighter it probably wouldn't. Revzilla has it for $152, but I found a new one on Fleabay for just under $130. Had it for about a month now and use it daily for work. Very happy with the quality, and would work well as a L.D. bag as well. FYI, I just tried, and if it is empty, my full face HJC will fit with room for some stuff on the side!

On it's own probably water resistant, but it has a rain cover with a draw string in the rear zippered panel.

Bogus, I really like that rear rack. I've taken a few minutes to search for Gerauld and found other threads but it doesn't appear that he is still actively building/selling these racks. Do you know if these can still be sourced?

I use the saddlemen BR3400 on my bike. It was for my cruiser but it works on the FJR until I breakdown and get a hardcase! Plenty of room for stuff but only water resistant. Clothing is always packed inside of garbage bags.....

While that bag is a solution, for me it doesn't fit the finish of the bike. I guess I'll be sticking to the Givi offerings and a Stiffy Kit to keep it looking nice and protecting the sub-frame from breakage.

hope you plan to beef up the subframe...

packed to the max combined with rearward wind pressure, most def pushing the subframe limits...

Add the Stiffy kit or the Garauld/Givi combo and should be golden.

Good choice. I've been using the Dowco Iron Rider bags for years (their main bag and their overnighter). They are certainly one of the more intelligently designed soft luggage I've seen. The anchor points (and supplied straps) on the side and back allow for easy attachment to backrest, luggage rack, rear seat, etc. A separate set of straps and anchor points allow the bags to be mounted atop each other, which is the configuration I've used for 2-up multi-day trips.

If you don't have Gerauld's "stiffy" reinforced rack support, you might want to consider it. Otherwise you might crack/break your frame. The stock FJR is not rated for much weight back there.

My preference is always waterproof tailbags. Been through the cover thing and it's always inconvenient when it starts raining unexpectedly. YMMV.

you will hardly ever hear anyone that lives here in the NW refer to anything as "waterproof".

I've got the Stiffy Kit ordered and am looking forward to putting the Givi on there when I get it and the E228 mounting bracket. I got a good deal on a used Givi Maxia E52 with the Ardmore LED light kit installed, and had to buy it. Since I have previously owned Givi bags on my CBR1100XX I was keen to get another one. On a side note, the Givi bags are pretty darned good at keeping water out of stuff!

I've been ruined by the Givi E55 and SR357 rack that I bought before I even picked up my bike. I'll never go back to traveling without a nice topcase. But some of the bags in this thread look nice.