Fuel Tank Plastic Cap Ring Broke

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats it. Partzilla said it is available and to ignore the "obsolete". Didn't realize that its aluminum.

Given that practically every popular Yamaha road bike from 2001 onwards seems to share that same part, I'm betting you should be able to find a good used one at a fraction of that ridiculous price.
rolleyes.gif

Given that practically every popular Yamaha road bike from 2001 onwards seems to share that same part, I'm betting you should be able to find a good used one at a fraction of that ridiculous price.
rolleyes.gif
Who sells used parts? It's not a common item sold on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,the Gen 1 is the same with the Gen 2 Cap.But,the cap where i see in the ebay link is not the oem,but a Chinese product..Perhaps is a quality product,perhaps not..

Yes,the Gen 1 is the same with the Gen 2 Cap.But,the cap where i see in the ebay link is not the oem,but a Chinese product..Perhaps is a quality product,perhaps not..
Thanks. Now if I could just get a locksmith to call me back to get the cost of re-keying it to match my ignition.

Thanks. Now if I could just get a locksmith to call me back to get the cost of re-keying it to match my ignition.
You may be able to rekey it yourself by moving the tumblers around. I would try that first. Take yours out and see if it can be done.

As a fall-back, you can have a blank key cut with your ignition key pattern on one edge, and the gas cap key pattern cut on the other edge. Mark the key on the ignition edge. Put the key in the ignition with the marked edge up and ride away, rotate the key 180º and it will open the gas cap. A bit fiddly but it's inexpensive and keeps a one key solution.

Got the gas tank assembly from China. Fewer holes on the ring but the ones that are on there line up. It didn't include the rubber gasket and of course the stock doesn't fit the chinese version. I could punch some holes in the gasket and make it fit but then it becomes so butchered it might not be worth it.

What is the point of the rubber gasket? It doesn't appear to be water proof. I might fashion one out of inner tube like Mihalis suggested but I'm not good at McGyvering stuff.

Got the gas tank assembly from China. Fewer holes on the ring but the ones that are on there line up. It didn't include the rubber gasket and of course the stock doesn't fit the chinese version. I could punch some holes in the gasket and make it fit but then it becomes so butchered it might not be worth it.
What is the point of the rubber gasket? It doesn't appear to be water proof. I might fashion one out of inner tube like Mihalis suggested but I'm not good at McGyvering stuff.
I don't think that it is so difficult..Find a thick inner tube and try to make it with a blade...Perhaps not in the first attempt,but the second or third attempt will succeed..
smile.png