Bad Idle and won't stay on (but turn on...)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lele

Reaction score
Hi to all,

after 6 month of inactivity (I have been away from home) today I try to start my bike with fresh fuel and full battery.

the bike turn on with very bad idle, seems like flooded and I rev it stop immediately!!

I have try to change the plugs but nothing change

I call the mechanic and he said I must clean the throttle bodies.is it possible??

Did you drain the old fuel out of the tank before adding fresh fuel? I had similar problem and it turned out that the fuel was 25% water.

Had to drain tank and start over.

yes the tank was empty

tomorrow i will try with diagnostic mode code from 36 to 39 if every Injector still be operative..

Check the injectors and check that you are getting spark on each plug. You might have a connection problem at the spark plug boot. Make sure there is no corrosion in the tank and that the pickup screen on the fuel pump is clean.

Check all of the connectors - I think there is a large white one under the tank that has been a problem (corrosion) on some Gen I FJRs.

I very much doubt that this is due to dirty throttle bodies.

Edit: Check your air filter!! Sometimes, animals like to nest in them and this could also cause your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might try to keep it running long enough to warm up and clean itself out.

Don't be afraid to give it a little bit of throttle.

6 months is not like 6 years as far as gas turning to goo...

Dump some seafoam in there and let it stumble around a little bit. You may just have some bad gas in the lines that will clear itself.

Depending on storage procedure, and humidity of the storage environment, fuel in the fuel rail and injectors can get a bit munky and cause problems.

The first winter I put my fjr into hibernation, I didn't run sufficient stabilizer through, and had to store the bike under a portable, fabric shed. When I started it up in the spring, it exhibited very similar symptoms, and I found one of the injectors had fouled. I had to get the injectors professionally cleaned and flowed to solve the problem, as no amount of seafoam or ring-free seemed to do the trick.

I was fortunate to locate a private mechanic who happened to own an injector cleaning/flow machine, so it only cost @$50 and my time, as I removed and re-installed the injectors myself.

Depending on storage procedure, and humidity of the storage environment, fuel in the fuel rail and injectors can get a bit munky and cause problems.
The first winter I put my fjr into hibernation, I didn't run sufficient stabilizer through, and had to store the bike under a portable, fabric shed. When I started it up in the spring, it exhibited very similar symptoms, and I found one of the injectors had fouled. I had to get the injectors professionally cleaned and flowed to solve the problem, as no amount of seafoam or ring-free seemed to do the trick.

I was fortunate to locate a private mechanic who happened to own an injector cleaning/flow machine, so it only cost @$50 and my time, as I removed and re-installed the injectors myself.
ok but why injectors get clogged???

Because their holes are very small..So a very small hole is more easy to clog..
smile.png

Try to fill your fuel tank with 100 octanes fuel,you can find in Italy as we have in Greece,go to the autostrada,there are not speed limits there from what i know..Open the throttle full for as time as you can,and everything will come back to normal..!Believe me..!
smile.png
smile.png
Don't afraid to put the needle deep in the red zone!
smile.png
smile.png

Because their holes are very small..So a very small hole is more easy to clog..
smile.png

Try to fill your fuel tank with 100 octanes fuel,you can find in Italy as we have in Greece,go to the autostrada,there are not speed limits there from what i know..Open the throttle full for as time as you can,and everything will come back to normal..!Believe me..!
smile.png
smile.png
Don't afraid to put the needle deep in the red zone!
smile.png
smile.png
there are no speed limits...

ahahah

search google: italian speed tutor highway

anyway my bike got some problems PORCA TROIA

hi again!

my bike still won't start, or start for some second (if i rev it)and then go off
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif

I have change the plugs 2 days ago and today I have the injector cleaned by a mechanic (60 EUR....)

but she don't want to turn on regulary!!!!

airfilter is in order like valve clearance

before sitting in the garage for the winter 6 month was perfect

any ideas is really appreciated
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

thank u I need to ride

lele,have a look at the air filter.The mice loves this place to build their home there as RossKean said. Also a defective TPS can cause these symptoms.Have you ever replace the TPS sensor?Also check all the connectors under of the fuel tank in the front side if they are in good condition.

Another thing to check, after you've looked for mouse-clogged air filter and the TPS & related connectors, would be fuel delivery. Make sure the fuel tank vent hoses are not blocked. Also run the diagnostic to check the fuel pump is working.

Did you do any work on the bike while it was down? The problem you describe sounds like a bad ignition pickup coil (signal generator) or wire. The signal generator is located inside the timing chain area, and the wire runs along the outside of the right crankcase cover. Damage to that wire from being pinched can cause a loss of the timing signal to the ECM for the bike to fire. Carefully look at the right timing case cover and note the small black wire and the clamps that hold it in place. If there is any visible damage to the wire, replace it. This is kind of a long-shot, but the pickup coil is inexpensive. 5JW-81670-00-00

%24_35.JPG

I went out to the garage to check my pickup coil wire (visible through the rear vent of the left fairing), and it's covered with dirty oil. Looks like I need a new gasket from the last time I opened that cover for the valve clearance check. Bummer.

While we're talking about the timing cover and what's in there, I believe someone here once found a loose trigger wheel, presumably because someone was doing a valve check or such, and turned the engine counterclockwise...... which can loosen the crankshaft bolt that holds the trigger wheel snugly in place.