2015 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we having an "Official Thread" for this event, or can this be it.

If so, I'll subscribe.

In the past, Warchild has started the "official" IBR thread. I expect it'll get started a few days before the rally starts.

However I like this thread in wondering what "odd/old" bikes will be running.

Now if I were in the rally I'd be in that hopeless class. And it wouldn't be because of the bike.
smile.png

Since I own a sportster too, and belong to the XL forum, there's a guy gonna enter on a sporty, I haven't rode mine more than 60 miles from town, good luck to him!
ohno-smiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm.... I was in contact with another IBR rider this week and we were going over the "How and when" we were leaving for Albuquerque, That's when I became aware that I had planned on departing the morning of tech inspection. I would have been the 1st DNF of the rally.

So my prep started this weekend. That fact combined with the fact my bike is sitting with 225k+ should put me in the hopeless class.

BTW- Do NOT feel sorry for any HD riders in this rally. They are well represented... and one of the top rider's on one.

Last edited by a moderator:
BreAking NooZe!

The CBA prez has been offered an IBR ride on the 6 volt R60.

Tremble and shake in fear, contestants!

NOT!

:whistle:

For any FJR peeps running... I have lots of spare parts, lift, truck/trailer if needed. PM me if needed.

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

Adding to that offer .... I have a fully rally-prepped FJR ready to go. If it is needed by any riders here, you just have to ask.

In regards to the Sportster rider, that bike turned 145k miles during last weekend Mason Dixon 20-20 rally. He's also doing the Tour Of Honor ride and has 2 trophies so far this year and has hit close to 40 memorials so far. He's a serious contender.

Hmmm. I think we'll all agree Sportster is not hopeless and also unlikely to win. Tony you too are very far from hopeless, but have the right steed. Hell we even got GS addict Bray on an FJR.

Epiphany: any non FJR shall be considered Hopeless.

Thanks Prez and Twigg for generous offers!

Regarding the original question: What bikes are entered in the Hopeless Class, I have only heard about two so far...

(1) old Airhead GS, not sure what year

(2) a stock Ninja 250 (same person that rode one in the 2013 IBR)

Regarding the original question: What bikes are entered in the Hopeless Class, I have only heard about two so far...

Yes I have heard nothing else. I'm not even sure a late model Kawasaki should be considered hopeless, but that's just me. Compare an underpowered Ninja to a 30-40 yr old carbureted disaster. . Hmmm.
Like I said no FJR= hopeless :)

The airhead mentioned above is a '95 R100GS

BMW_R100GS.jpg

Given that last time out Scott Thornton might well have podium'd a 1978 XS1100, had he not lost all his photos, I'd say that BMW has a decent shot at a good finish.

Interesting... so Coons on his 94 BMW RS is going to have a bike older than the ones in the hopeless class. There is also a chance another Minnesotan will be on a 94 GS PD unless some parts come in for his GSA. Last I talked to him it was going to be close. He will argue that he is in the hopeless class either way though.

I want to see how Mr Bray has adapted the feejer to hold his sleeping pad! I was quite jealous of the perfect fit on top of the flat GS sidecases and thought of that while sleeping on the pavement last year!

I want to see how Mr Bray has adapted the feejer to hold his sleeping pad! I was quite jealous of the perfect fit on top of the flat GS sidecases and thought of that while sleeping on the pavement last year!
Haven't figured that out yet...that may be the biggest disadvantage to riding the FJR.

Status
Not open for further replies.