Will alot of rain ruin your bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbluefjr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ride to work everyday and have been for a few months now. At least once a week it has been raining here and it sits outside at work. I don't mind riding in the rain cause I don't have far to get home and the FJR is great to keep you dry when riding in the rain. My concern is will this constant rain on it when at work ruin this bike? I assumed it would be ok as long as proper periodic cleaning and lubing was done (every weekend time permitting) but like today it has been down pouring since I got here and I hate to see it in the rain like that, but for now I don't have anything else to ride unless I borrow the girlfriends car but don't want to leave her stranded if I have to work later. So will it? Is there certain other concerns I should look for? I have a 2012 with only 6000 miles. Thanks guys.

Leo

I rode an 8 day round trip to SFO and it sat outside for 4 days in none stop 24/7 monsoon conditions. The bike was just fine. The good news was I learned that this bike is magnificent in the rain. :)

Every day, all day long, I would try to find some cover. Eventually the moisture will get somewhere you don't want it to and cause corrosion problems on electrical components.

Buy an inexpensive bike cover. It'll serve two purposes by keeping the rain off and unwanted attention away!

--G

Only if you think it can double as a jetski, like this dumbass!

BMWboat-L_zps00bec279.jpg

It does make for a cheap car wash however :)

20140502_122213_zpsa8febdfe.jpg

Get a cheap cover like the Nelson rigg and use it while you are at work. Keeps the elements off and it only takes a couple minutes of your time. Mine gets covered when not at home.

If rain caused problems the guys in Washington State, Florida, England and Malaysia would have their motorcycles corrode, rot away and dissolve. Do all the maintenance per the FSM and see that all the suspension linkages are cared for. The seat is one area where water is undesirable if it soaks into the foam or repeatedly soaks a leather seat that isn't cared for. Covering the bike keeps the electrical controls and a lot of the front electrical harnesses from sitting for long periods with unnecessary wetness.

Yes Top_Speed has a BMW U-Boat but on the FJR I would worry about the rear differential vent on top of the pumpkin and getting water in the engine breather, though the water would be close to causing flame-out if it got that much into the air box. Most of the bearings are not sealed, they are highly water resistant but not water proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except for a creak in the rear suspension, mine has been no worse for wear despite long periods in downpours. I had similar concerns when I was getting ready to purchase a new FJR. Mine has been fine. My parking is covered at home and at the office, but I've logged many a mile in waterfall conditions without any issue whatsoever. In your case, I would absolutely buy a cheap cover. Take care to keep it off the pipes.

I'm a Seattle area rider with a 07 I bought new the end of 07. I currently have 97,000 miles on it and I ride all year long. We do get a lot of rain here and my bike sits outside at work for over 10 hours on the 4 days a week I work. It's never been covered and still looks nice and works fine. It would probably look better if I washed it more than twice a year. ;)

I did have some electrical issues due to corrosion on electrical connections. After the first failure (a fairly common one involving a grounding spider) I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to virtually all connections on the bike. No problems since then except a starter relay bad and the sidestand switch having a flakey connection that was easily bypassed (I will buy a new one with my next parts order).

Once or twice a year, I lube up the levers/sidestand/centerstand/shift linkage/brake pedal/lock cylinders. I'd also highly suggest lubing up the rear shock linkage because it's well known to not have enough grease from the factory.

As they like to say on the forum, Ride more Worry less. :)

Since it never rains in South Louisiana, I have no personal experience with this problem.
smile.png

My only concern with the cover is that if the bike is already wet when you cover it then the cover turns into a greenhouse/steam sauna. If the bike is dry when you park it, no worries.

For a lot of folks on this forum rain is the only time the poor thing gets washed.

I'm seriously amazed at how modern motorcycles (not just the FJR) are waterproof. When you think about all the electrical connections and mechanical bits that a little water would damage I sometimes can't believe they've figured out how to seal it all up. When I know it's just going to rain for hours and mine will be out I do like to cover it, even if it's apparently not necessary.

20150515_203437_zpscyxdkhss.jpg

I'm with Redfish Hunter on this, if the bike is already wet, don't cover it. That moisture will be trapped and seep everywhere. Much better (IMHO) to leave it uncovered and let the breeze at it.

By all means cover the saddle if you are worried about a soggy bottom, but that's it.

This from an Englishman who quite often leaves his bike out to the mercy of all that England (and sometimes Scotland) can throw at it. There is nothing more wetting than Scottish rain (except possibly Top_Speed1's "dumbass" choice of road).

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle daily commuter here and +1 for the Nelson cover when parked, though I do it more to reduce UV damage on my shiny bike than water. And +1 on ACF 50 in the key mechanisms and other exposed metal places. I ride the ferry every day with a whole army of motorcycles and those dudes are in the wet and nasty every day with me. The only bikes that look and may peform badly are truly old, and unmaintained. Lots of old FJR's around that look fantastic, despite being daily riders and experiencing the deluge.

(Truth is, Seattle doesn't get much rain. Most cities in the country get MORE rain than Seattle. And when we do get it, it usually isn't strong. Rarely do we get a downpour. Seattle gets about 30" a year, compare that to where you live! It's just greyer, and at 48 north, darker, in the winter.)

I hardly ever cover my '09 when it is sitting in the rain. I'm more likely to cover it when it is sitting in the sun all day, helps keep the plastic bits from fading so much and also keeps the seat and grips cool. Haven't had any electrical corrosion problems but I applied dielectric grease to areas commonly referenced as probloem spots and to exposed connectors like those on the backs of the horns. Maybe not necessary but it made me feel good.

After I finagled my way with G-Squared to buy my new 2014, by the time they got everything prepped, the black cloud in the distance was over our head. I didn't get 2 blocks from the dealership before the skies unzipped.

When I got home and showed the bike to my neighbor, he was shocked that I "...rode a brand new motorcycle in the rain!!!".

(Pants) "I assure you, this puppy is going to get wet from time to time."