Back to FJR after Harley Street glide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I,m riding last summer with 2 buddies on Harley Street Glides and me on my 2013 FJR. We stop for ice cream and a guy pulls up on a new Amber Whiskey color Harley Street glide.

Like a guy bowled over by a hot looking woman I took the bait and went out a bought a new HD Street glide Special last fall and sold my 13 FJR

Absolutely beautiful bike! You cannot beat Harleys for paint, chrome and overall fitment. Unfortunately it ends there however. Once you get over the initial buzz of how cool looking it is you find out that it cannot compare to all the FJR offers at a much lower cost

I sold the HD last week and am happy to say I'm getting back to a new 2015 Fjr1300 ES this coming Friday. Like I said, it was like falling for a beautiful woman only to find out after the fact that looks really are only skin deep

This will be my 4th FJR and I'm never going away again. Its just a terrific bike. The Harleys are nice but totally different

Had to go and drink the Kool Aid didn't you?

Welcome back! I managed to get my FJR while working for a Harley dealership when someone traded it in to buy a StreetGlide. I've often wondered if they've regretted it....

Harleys suck!
In many ways you're right AJ but it's pretty easy to pry money out of the owners. A lot of my work is on Harley's and the wanna be's. The only thing I won't do for them is install loud pipes. I don't like them and won't put them on. Pisses off some of them.

I've got a raffle ticket for a Street Glide special and if I win it I'll sell it and fund more travel.

Here, deep in Harley Country, only 13 miles from Mecca (Sturgis) I damn near bought one when I bought the FJR. Glad I held off now. The folks here are generally a much better group of riders, and, they don't stop every fifty miles or every bar, whichever is closer.

jim oneil said: Like a guy bowled over by a hot looking woman ...
To continue your metaphor, the FJR is like a hot-looking woman who goes to the gym regularly and was a college track star. Methinks you'll be happy with that Liquid Graphite lightning bolt.

i can't say Harley's suck, as most of my friends have them, and to each their own. I do like to be around them once in awhile, just so I can say to myself "there ya go Speed, someone who polishes their helmet way more than you ever thought of!" ooops, I meant bike.

Welcome back to Sport Touring and some very funn lean angles not obtainable by the chrome-sters.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like the Street Glide and it is Harley's best selling model. I would like to have a big Harley Touring bike in my garage. If I did have a Harley in my garage I would have to move my FJR out of the way before I could ride it because it would not be my primary bike.

A co-worker who is a very good friend has a '14 Street Glide in Charcoal Pearl. That gray is very close to my Liquid Graphite. We usually park them together at work and they look so... Different from each other. I love the classic lines of the HD but I am infatuated with the modern angularity of my FJR.

My HD friends will not ride anything else, they love their Harleys. I will ride anything with two wheels but I spent my money on the FJR.

Hunter Thompson from a story we wrote for Cycle World about a Ducati SS. "

Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
Harley's are for the squeezed out of a tube types. Not for me. Slow heavy bikes are boring to ride. If I was the type to want to ride on the freeway all day I might consider an Electra Glide because today's Gold Wings are pretty homely and passing power isn't really needed on a 4 lane highway. However, if I am going to be droning down the interstate all day I'd rather be in a car.

No doubt the best paint (and chrome) in the business. The XR1200 would be my choice if I ever did own a Harley.

rwortman wrote:
<snipped>

However, if I am going to be droning down the interstate all day I'd rather be in a car.
Perhaps that's a fundamental difference between us FJR Forum members.

In New England, the Interstate highways are full of potholes and other travelers. In the Southeast, including Texas, there are very few potholes and fellow travelers are scarce outside the metro areas like Charlotte, B'ham, Nawlins, Houston, and Atlanta. (Florida's I-95 is a noted exception, or anywhere on I-95 during snowbird migration.) Don't know about farther west.

I derive considerably more Interstate pleasure on the FJR than in a car, although the convertible provides an option for immediate and very effective cover if it starts to rain.

To jim oneil, the OP, I'd be interested in hearing a comparison between your 2013 Gen3 and your new 2015 Gen3.

Last edited by a moderator:
jim oneil said: Like a guy bowled over by a hot looking woman ...
To continue your metaphor, the FJR is like an intelligent, hot-looking woman who goes to the gym regularly, was a college track star and practices good hygiene. Methinks you'll be happy with that Liquid Graphite lightning bolt.
Fixed it for you.
rolleyes.gif

My Road Glide is the only bike I have ridden that doesn't hurt my body.

She does suck in parking lots, tho

Here, deep in Harley Country, only 13 miles from Mecca (Sturgis) I damn near bought one when I bought the FJR. Glad I held off now. The folks here are generally a much better group of riders, and, they don't stop every fifty miles for gas or every bar, whichever is closer.