Lake Erie Loop 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray ray

Reaction score
I have finished first in the 125 class and second overall the past two years. The guy that beat me both years is from Phoenix, Az. and rides a 125 Honda CBR. This bike is not even sold in this country. it is fuel injected and is capable of speeds up to 70 MPH. probably 80 behind a good draft.

The organizers of the event decided to add a vintage 250 class this year. I went out and bought a 1985 250 Honda Rebel. I put a one tooth larger counter shaft sprocket on it to up the top speed. Added my 4 gal. aux. gas tank to it, rejeted the carb, added a wind screen with extended upper and lower. I took it for a test ride and she would do about 65 into the wind, and about 80 with the wind or behind a good draft.

I'm going to give Mr. CBR a run for his money this year.

We get to the camp grounds that serve as the starting point and finishing line Friday afternoon. All of the participants are fawning over this guy's CBR, when they ask me what I will be riding I tell them a little 250 Rebel, slower then molasses.

Saturday, 6:00 A.M. class 1 starts off; 6:01 class 2; 6:02 class 3; 6:03 class 4 (that's me) Mr. CBR has a 3 minute lead. About half way to the Ohio Turnpike, who do I see in the distance in front of me but Mr. CBR brake lights on going into a 35 MPH turn. He can't be doing 40. I take the turn at 70 and I am on his back wheel in a instant. I pass him on the outside, wave as I go by, and away I go.

About two minutes later it dawns on me. This guy can't ride, he has no skills, my bike is faster then his, I have more gas then him ! THIS RACE IS OVER. All I have to do is stay out of trouble, don't get any tickets, don't break down, and I win. COOL

On to the Ohio Turnpike, in the lead, doing about 75, drafting behind a semi , get passed by a tourist class guy on a speed triple. Ahead, a concrete divided lane split, stay in right lane behind semi. About 50 yards into the lane split semi and me get stuck behind small car doing 45 in the construction zone. RATS!! 15 to 20 miles at 45MPH , can't pass. After about 10 to 15 minutes I look to the left and there he is, Mr CBR tucked in behind a mini van, he waves as he goes by at about 75 MPH. DAM!

Get to Ambassador Bridge. Ten cars in customs line, then MR CBR, then one car. I pass the car between us and pull along side. we chat, he gets through customs in about 5 min. my turn. I tell the agent "I'm with him" he waves me thru. Probably saved 5 min. Ahead, Mr. CBR stopped at red light. We are even again. Off we go, I can out accelerate him, great! Coming up to traffic light, light turns red, I hit brakes, MR. CBR hits the pipe, away he goes.DAMM! lost him again. I hit the next three or four lights red. MR. CBR is gone.

Speed limit in Canada is 60MPH. Can't get a ticket or race is lost. Drafting behind a semi at about 65 for a long time. Finally, an SUV towing a boat coming up fast. He passes, and I'm on him. He's doing 80. perfect. After about an hour, Who do I see in the distance, Mr. CBR, behind a mini van and we are closing fast. We pass, I wave and he is on my back wheel. We stay like that for an hour or so. The SUV either does not know that we are there or doesn't care. Past the half way point. I'm running low on gas. Pass my gas stop. I can't leave this draft with Mr. CBR to run away again. Pull off for gas. No gas stations. DAMM! Back on 401, next exit, truck stop, pull off again. Truck stop 1 mile from exit. DOUBLE DAMM!! Pull in, they won't take out-of-country credit cards. TRIPPLE DAMM!!! Run to cashier, give her two twenties and tell her I'm on number 7. Run back to bike. Pump handle broke. Run back to cashier, she smiles and says 7 is broken, great, turn on 6. Run back to bike fill up with high test +10% alcohol. Aux tank vent leaking. Tighten up and off I go. 36 min shot. no draft, race is over.

The bike is flying, doing 80 with out a draft. Love this Canada high test. Dam the ticket, full speed ahead. Get to Peace Bridge. Open customs lane. Agent asks if I'm with loop run. Yes, has any body been thru yet? Two guys, one on a speed triple, the other on a small red crotch rocket. How long ago? Maybe 15 min.

Both of these guys have at least two, maybe three gas stops yet. Maybe I can still catch them. Off I go. Wind is now at my back. Spedo only goes to 85. needle past that must be doing 90. At Erie Pa. I see Speed Triple ahead of me, pulling off for gas. Bang, I got him. Mr. CBR can't be far ahead.

I haven't stopped to pee or drink since 6:03 A.M. I'm about to explode. Can't stop, got to keep going.

Finally get to the camp grounds. Get my time stamp, 4:38P.M.. Has anyone got back yet? Yea, a guy on a small red bike. DAM !!!!!!!

And that's how I lost the fastest overall "2015 Lake Erie Loop". by three minutes.

The guy on the speed triple finished about 10 minutes behind me and had a fit. He could not believe that a 125 and a 250 both beat him.

Oh well, as they say in Cleveland, "Just wait till next year"

Ray you are an animal. No way could I ride that long!!Next year let me know and I will have my son sitting on the hiway and MR 125 will get a ticket or warning for something right before the finish.

Boy that was fun to read. From the 2nd sentence I was on the edge of my seat pulling for ya!!

Am I the only one that truly can't understand how a motor can turn X0000 rpm (IOW - WFO) for hours at a time and not explode?

(or how an FJR final drive can run 30 miles without oil)

Dude. I was excited and laughing the whole time reading. Guess it sorta reminds me of when in younger years, seemed everything I did was a race of some kind. Best of luck and knock'em dead next year.

Love the report. That race would be tough on a FJR just for logistics and performance award avoidance. Great story.

Hey guys have any of you guys "peeped" my brother in his "speedo", SHEEEESE!!!!! I must have "Chidded" him no less than a thousand times Dude you need to shed some of ( if not all ) of his gut. Losing 50lbs. Would easily get him a 1st place next year, plus a whole lot of (Looks) when he's strutting his "Junk" around the beach. That being said, I think we all could appreciate his unbelievable

Bladder control. He should get a front page spread on "Shoulders of Fortune Magazine" but for any of us who've ridin along behind him with are bladders screaming " Anchors Away" and contemplating just taking the embarrassment of pissing our pants and dealing with the consequences later he really does deserve a Hugh "Add-A-Boy". Buttttttttt, without any pics, I dont know if we should take his word for this, or if this is just a figment of his imagination. Watch, the next thing he's going to try flying by us is that he's contemplating "Baja" next year. All n all that really was a great ride report. Good job Bro!!!!!

Dastardly Dave #007