Clutch Boss Spring Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karstenp

Reaction score
I am posting this question for Scott Thornton who was riding a new to him FJR on the Mason Dixon 2020 rally a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, after only a few hours into the rally, Scotts FJR's clutch self destructed. I guess he is trying to put the pieces back together and had the following question.....

Which way is the clutch boss spring installed? This is the spring type washer that goes in the clutch basket before the clutch and friction plates go on.

Any help is appreciated....

FYI.....I believe Scott is not willing to show his face on any FJR forum at the moment due to the embarrassment he has caused the FJR community on posting a DNF within hours of starting his very first rally on the new to him FJR...

Perry

The one that is shaped like an "L"on the face? Thin one? I think that's the Spring Plate Seat Ring or something like that. If so, the "L" shape goes to the inside.

Mcatrophy has this detailed in his clutch soak thread with pictures and all. I think it's linked to in his Sig line.

Now, what the Hell did Scott do to his clutch? Somewhere along the line, a "self destructing" FJR clutch was operator error, so not really "self destructing" at all.

Zilla is right for once
smile.png

(Click on image for larger view)

Outside face Inside face

More pics.

Thanks for the info.... I have forwarded to Scott.....

Re clutch destruction....... Scott is in denial and is placing blame with the previous owner.. something about high mileage and 125,000 miles....blah....blah.... blah.... I just nodded my head politely at his pathetic attempt to cover up the obvious... Scott has been riding his XS1100 for so long that he has no idea how to operate a fully intact and functional motorcycle....