French Atlantic coast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enn

Reaction score
just returned from the 2 weeks trip to the Atlantic coast of France. Many of you probably know and have been at French Riviera on Mediterranean, Cannes and Nice. Well, the Atlantic resorts are way higher class and majestic than those. Here's a short report.

Ready for take off, all packed for 2 pers. No tents this time though

M2SI3lO.jpg

The first day we more or less fast fowarded through Baltics and reached Augustow in Poland, which is a pretty nice city on the river. We stayed at a cozy guest house for a very reasonable price of EUR 40-sh and enjoyed beer at a river

URVMZtt.jpg

nvJDIRG.jpg

Next stop was already in Potsdam, Germany. The town did not leave much impression, but at least the beer tasted good after some 800 km ride

Y3x0C0k.jpg

Then we decided to pop through Luxembourg as we had never been there. Here some pics of the Duke's residence

zZnD5aR.jpg

d1KGhIi.jpg

And castle of Luxembourg

Ll6Ytfn.jpg

The fourth day we were already in France and went to see the gardens in Versailles

G8OYTXn.jpg

and have some picnic there

SeJnaVq.jpg

Ifk8cQD.jpg

The gardens are of course a masterpiece of its own, but there is also an old farmers village left authentic in the area

2dvR7ci.jpg

Finally, day five we found ourself on the Atlantic coast, a marvellous small town called La Rochelle with impressive gate towers into its harbor.

BW8LN9P.jpg

and a nice old town

v0jKC7M.jpg

we stayed at a 3 star hotel which reception looked pretty cool

m1duEnA.jpg

Next to the La Rochelle is a beautiful island of Ile de Re, with a St. Martin Port.

grvRKIR.jpg

It has a great fish market

SYGE92h.jpg

and some cute design on the houses

LwsehdL.jpg

Mussels for sure tasted good, just fresh from the sea

DUt6Vtj.jpg

rtsvOur.jpg

Meanwhile our Feejer made some new friends on the parking lot

mYTbiYo.jpg

to be continued ...

After La Rochelle we continued to the Bordeaux region, passed few cute towns

fSkcobD.jpg

and took a ferry over La Charente river

lVGeO3V.jpg

We opted to stay at a sort of wine centre called Pouillac, but that place did not leave much impression except for

this kind of vehicle with 3 wheels like a trike, although looking more like an old sportscar

BNhEogx.jpg

We went for a wine tasting to a nearby winery Lynch & Bages

9GPS37E.jpg

To be honest, we are not big fans of French wines, I guess our tastes are not developed enough, but these small creatures certainly made a mark

c3pPbIb.jpg

KBpSVNZ.jpg

And then we arrived to Bordeaux, which is also called a little Paris and which many Frenchmen themselves call the most beautiful city in France

y8CuH9r.jpg

we happened to witness an action against the Spanish Corrida just in the middle of the French city, I guess they had got a bit lost... By the way, it is not me taking off the shorts, but somebody from the audience who decided to join the half naked girls ... So it was great fun after all.

2VF9DxE.jpg

Just about an hour drive from Bordeaux is a nobel beach resort Arcachon with great beaches

7bAgRVu.jpg

and the Europe's highest sand dunes near by, over 100 m over sea

JAPZhQV.jpg

s1gWLBs.jpg

It was some heavy climbing to get up there

The farest points of our trip were Le Bayonne and Biarriz. The first is a really old town on a river with very nice old houses

6WG1F5e.jpg

and occasional market place next to cathedral

4hSSUyt.jpg

Biarriz again is a more modern and vibrant beach resort

2enGLSx.jpg

NLz383l.jpg

As we were very close to the Spanish border, the tapas certainly tasted good

X1aYfIi.jpg

After Biarriz our holiday time was exhausted and we had to return home by fast track, we just met this red beauty on the way.

7hxC28k.jpg

So if you are considering a trip to Europe and wondering where to go, then the Atlantic shores of France are certainly cool places to be at

Nice ... love that area.

The "three-wheel sportscar" is a Morgan. They are getting rare, and valuable. Engines were motorcycle engines made, I believe, by JAP. Production of the three-wheeler ended in 1937.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You, Enn. That was really nice to look at. I spent 10 days in Paris on my honeymoon and I wanted to go into the countryside to see all that stuff. My wife wanted to stay in Paris. She Won!! :D

Thank You, Enn. That was really nice to look at. I spent 10 days in Paris on my honeymoon and I wanted to go into the countryside to see all that stuff. My wife wanted to stay in Paris. She Won!!
biggrin.png
well, she definitely made a right decision. I have been in Paris many times and it is a wonderful place. The beauty with France is that it all does not end there.

That is so true, Enn. Our honeymoon acutely was 10 days in London and 10 days in Paris. London was nice because I'm a major history buff. London was nice but, Paris was wonderful. It's the type of place that, if you are with your sweetheart, it's the most wonderful place on earth. I agreed to stay in the city and I had a great time. You have to make your new bride happy. I'm sure you understand what that's like. :D

Nice ... love that area.
The "three-wheel sportscar" is a Morgan. They are getting rare, and valuable. Engines were motorcycle engines made, I believe, by JAP. Production of the three-wheeler ended in 1937.
https://info.sscycle.com/performance-times/bid/51874/Introducing-The-new-X-Wedge-powered-Morgan-3-Wheeler Twigg, they are back in production, saw several in Daytona, one was at the S&S booth in the same area we were set up. Pretty cool and really snorty, for a v-twin.

What a wonderful trip. You had it all - beach, history, food, sites, and of course, great riding!!!

My wife and I look forward to returning to Europe one day. We had great fun last year.

Great ride report! Bordeaux and Biarritz are first-class, all right, and your pictures reflect that. Thanks a bunch, Enn!