My First FJR 2003 or 2005?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal rider

Reaction score
Hi,

newguy here. I have two FJR's to choose from. Opinions and advice sought from you experienced people. For what it's worth I'm 5'9" and about 180 pounds.

#1 2003 $4400 Silver

This bike has been well maintained by the original mature (a.k.a. old) owner, and has just over 30K easy miles on it. The FJR has an extremely durable and under stressed powertrain, and can easily go well over 100K miles.
This bike includes the standard saddlebags and electric windscreen, and also includes a number of extras:
• Factory heated grips
• Oversized windscreen (for more coverage and less wind noise)
• Shorai lithium ion battery (longer lasting and less weight)
• braided steel front brake lines with high performance brake pads
• Fork brace (crisper handling)
• Shop manual
• Battery tender connection (for when you can't be riding)
• Upgraded fork springs

Been in contact with the owner, and it had been a ticker but fixed by the dealer at 20K miles.

#2 2005 $4880 Blue (that eveyone seems to hate)

For sale, very nice 2005 Yamaha FJR1300 Sport Touring bike.None ABS model.Bike has 38660 miles
New sparkplugs. Brand new battery.
New engine oil, driveshaft oil, antifreeze, air filter, brakes (front and rear), brakes and clutch fluids.
Heli handlebar risers, front fork brace, radiator guard, headlights guard, it has a side drop pegs to protect body in the event of a drop.
Front forks recently serviced, new fork seals and oil. Aftermarket upgrade suspension.
Like new condition of front and rear tires.
Has light scratches and/or blemishes that a 9-year-old bike would be expected to have.
Dents on the left muffler. But the dents are pretty much hidden by the left hard bag.

Non ABS an issue?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jay

Both bikes are non-ABS, so don't stress that. Personally, I'd go for the '05 just for the suspension upgrade. I also don't know who said no one likes the blue. There are lots of '05 riders here, and supposedly, it's the second fastest color. Lol...

The 03 is the quicker of the two and the silver has more class.
punk.gif

No question, go with the '05. In addition to a newer bike, you get bigger brakes too!

This assumes of course, that the '05 is in good condition and not a beater. Good luck with the search, there are many, many great used FJRs out there...be patient and the right one will turn up.

--G

Yeah, those prices aren't spectacular. Keep looking and you'll find one with ABS in that same price range.

And HRZ is right, the Bass Bote Blue is the second best color, but you probably can't afford a Bass Bote Red bike right now if you are looking at first gens. ;)

Definitely the '05. In addition to having improved suspension, the front fairing was modified to help keep heat from the engine away from the rider. Also a question about the '03 was whether or not the valves were swapped out for the ones that were made of improved material. Also, the blue looks sharp.

Definitely the '05. In addition to having improved suspension, the front fairing was modified to help keep heat from the engine away from the rider. Also a question about the '03 was whether or not the valves were swapped out for the ones that were made of improved material. Also, the blue looks sharp.

As a guide, I paid 5500 for my '03 in 2007, with 40K miles. That was a steal, but still, seems like the mid-4s are kinda high...

It's worth pointing out that the suspension upgrade on the 05 could be a real nice addition and makes it worth that price. Lots of guys part out the aftermarket shock knowing they won't get it back in a used sale. This makes me think the previous owner was a rider and took care of that bike.

I recently bought an '06 for $5k. And why does Yamaha not include self-canceling turn signals!?!?!? How much could they cost? My Kawi Nomad, two years older, has them.

No turn signals, I will take it off your hands. None of us have sefl canceling turn signals. You have to give that up man. Learn how to use your thumbs again. its good excersize. I heard it also stimulates brain cells.

I vote the 05 definately. No brainer.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck neighbor, soundz about like a draw between them two. If'n it were me, I'd go w/ the '03

The 03 is the quicker of the two and the silver has more class.
punk.gif
This post is why FJRay is the smartest guy on our Fine FJR Forum: Next to ionbeam, Bustanut joker and odot!

Just don't buy a 2007, anyone that rides an '07 is queerer than a three dollar bill and they also smell real funny!
Butt, butt, butt, I ride an '07 and I'm not queer...

BARF-1.jpg