crashed and broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixedblade

Reaction score
Went to Deals Gap this weekend for the FZ1 rally. Had a high speed, low side crash on the Hellbender(rt-28). Bike had some road rash ,bent highway peg and radiator hose leak. I got a ride in the meat wagon. Three broke ribs, Two cracked ribs, road rash on left forearm and bruised left hip. I was wearing mesh gear and it burnt right into my skin. Buying perforated leather , no more mesh.

So sorry to hear 'blade, but glad your w us and able to talk about it.

So, did you go in too hot? Mis-judge the radius? Oncoming avoidance? Gravel?

Wow! That sucks but, if the only thing you are contemplating Is no more mesh, you'll be fine. Glad that's all you have to worry about. Yep! Leather is better than mesh for a spill. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the low-side, but it beats some of the alternatives.

Would you mind saying which brand the ineffective mesh was?

Sucks to hear about your mishap.

Second on the request for what brand the mesh gear was. I've been looking at buying some and this could make me reconsider my options.

Well that doesn't sound like fun! Glad you are able to report here, though. That says a lot for severity. Sounds like the typical outcome from using mesh gear, though. You do give up a little in protection for the comfort. Certainly would have been worse had you been wearing jeans and a tee shirt. I will not attempt an humor to cheer you up as the last thing you want to do is laugh with all those cracked and broken ribs! Heal quickly.

BTW my 2007 will be listed for sale here soon if you are in the market. It survived hellbender a couple weeks ago on our way to SW-FOG.

Recently had this very conversation with my riding buds! I wear mesh/cordura jacket and pants. Because of my shape (fat) I don't feel like my gear fits as well as it should? In order to fit certain parts of the body other areas feel? Sloppy? In the event of going down I don't feel like the protective parts will stay put? I'm always thinking "better lose some weight!", then get into vented leather or at least riding clothes that will offer the protection a rider sliding down the road needs! Does anyone have a weight loss program that still includes a few wobbly pops as part of the daily calorie count?

Sorry I didn't say get well soon to the original poster!.

Damn, that sucks. I too am curious about the cause of the low side. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Dang FZ1 rally's, someone always goes down.
biggrin.png

Sorry it had to be you.

I'm very sorry to hear of unplanned get off, FB. Too many of us here have had a first-hand perspective of such experiences. And perhaps the best step to an effective recovery is to remember to keep your sense of humor, while trying not to laugh.

Mesh-style gear is not, in itself, a poor design strategy for rider protection and comfort, but choice of material and finish is critical. And as you unfortunately related, some manufacturers don't always make construction choices that are in a rider's best interest.

From Save Your Hide Article:

Be aware that due to cost, some makers coat their nylon with a layer of polyurethane that under heavy pavement friction can melt into your skin.
Heal well...

Saw the pix at FZ1OA, sorry about the injuries man. Recycled bovine always slides better but that stuff is torture in a hot humid environment. Heal up and feel better.

+1 on Nightshine's comments. When everybody was wondering what brand you had on, fixedblade, (they still are by the way), I knew for a fact that it was NOT Motoport. I've always been thankful that I was wearing the Motorport/Cycleport kevlar mesh suit when I ate it in Montana a few years back. So at least read the article Sam linked to before you decide. (My crash was in '08. No damage at all to the suit, anywhere, and it's still flawless. Five stars.)

On the subject of the crash, damn sorry to hear about it. Feel better. Did you leave any FZ-1 parts on the Tree of Shame?

Sorry to read of your crash. Heal fast!

Yes the mesh can melt but I believe it's still better than a t shirt. Wayne claims Motoport won't melt-WRONG mine did in a few small spots and I did get 2 minor burns from heat transfer from sliding down the road after Bambi killed my 04. Other than leather and perhaps even leather any gear can transfer lots of heat from sliding down the road, it just sucks. I still wear like the Motoport.

Buy the best gear you can and wear as much as you can tolerate.