Minnesota to the West Coast and back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planing is the easy part, getting two and a half weeks off from work would be the real challenge.

Nice route, post up some pictures if you can.

You may want to check the temps in Death Valley.

The temps this week are from 115-121 degrees.

Ride safe and I hope things go your way this time.

Nice. This will give me something to read and envy every day at work right up until the start of the IBR at which point I'll continue to get nothing done!

Have fun and ride safe. Wishing for good weather for you on your travels.

Have a great trip!
punk.gif
I'll be following along for sure neighbor.

I wish I could get the time off to do this too.

Lucky Bastard is right Joe!

Hi, Rick;

Awesome looking trip. I hope you don't think I'm being rude by offering a route change suggestion. I ran into a guy at a gas station when I was on a ride last fall, and he said he'd made the trip to Colorado from the Twin Cities between 50 and 60 times. I had told him I was riding to Colorado, and told him it would be I35 down to Des Moines, then I80 over to Colorado. He had a better idea. Let me explain.

Looking at your route, I couldn't tell if you are going clockwise or counterclockwise. So I'll just describe the route from Minnesota to Colorado. Again, I altered my route through this guy's suggestions, and ran it last September. It eliminated a lot of boring and/or urban miles. Maybe some others here are familiar with these roads.

Take I90 across southern Minnesota and across part of South Dakota, to about 45 miles past Mitchell to SD Hwy 45 South (exit 289). Take 45 south to Platte. In Platte, take SD 44 west to SD 49 south. At the intersection with US 18, keep going straight south on SD 183. (It turns into Nebraka 183). Take a right (west) on NE 12 to Valentine. In Valentine, take a left on to 83 (south). In Valentine, take US 20 West for a few blocks to NE 97 south (left). This is the start of the (relatively speaking) fun part. These are the sand hills of Nebraska. We ran this stretch at between 85 to 100 mph for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. No traffic, no animals, no trees, and almost no sign of human life. Stay on 97 into Mullen. Take a right (west) on to NE 2. Take a left (south) on to NE 61, all the way to Ogallala. On the south side of Ogallala, you can hook back up with I80, and continue west. These roads are SO much less boring than the interstate, plus you avoid Des Moines and Omaha. We ran the same route (in reverse, obviously) on the return trip, but in the pitch black of night. My buddy's FJR has extra lighting, and he could really light up the road. We made good time. When I return to ride in Colorado, I WILL take this route again. It really was a great diversion, and broke up both ends of the interstate boredom tremendously.

It was great to be able to stretch the FJR's legs a little on those empty roads in the middle of Nebraska. Personally, I thought it had its' own kind of desolate beauty. Certainly less boring than the interstate. It only added 20 or 30 miles of distance, and depending on the traffic through some of the towns on I35/I80, may have possibly even shortened the time.

Enjoy your trip, Rick. Ride safe and smart, and keep us posted on your progress. (Hope you don't mind the unsolicited suggestions.....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice route. Bighorns, Beartooth, Chief Joseph.... Don't know if you've been through Idaho before, but your Salmon to Challis to Stanley to Idaho City will be a guaranteed highlight. Twisty roads, awesome wilderness. On your way to Salmon, feel free to blow out the cobwebs. If you see a car, slow down. If you don't, don't.
smile.png

Salmon%20Highway_zpsfif7sjvn.jpg

Hi, Rick;
Awesome looking trip. I hope you don't think I'm being rude by offering a route change suggestion. I ran into a guy at a gas station when I was on a ride last fall, and he said he'd made the trip to Colorado from the Twin Cities between 50 and 60 times. I had told him I was riding to Colorado, and told him it would be I35 down to Des Moines, then I80 over to Colorado. He had a better idea. Let me explain.

Looking at your route, I couldn't tell if you are going clockwise or counterclockwise. So I'll just describe the route from Minnesota to Colorado. Again, I altered my route through this guy's suggestions, and ran it last September. It eliminated a lot of boring and/or urban miles. Maybe some others here are familiar with these roads.

Take I90 across southern Minnesota and across part of South Dakota, to about 45 miles past Mitchell to SD Hwy 45 South (exit 289). Take 45 south to Platte. In Platte, take SD 44 west to SD 49 south. At the intersection with US 18, keep going straight south on SD 183. (It turns into Nebraka 183). Take a right (west) on NE 12 to Valentine. In Valentine, take a left on to 83 (south). In Valentine, take US 20 West for a few blocks to NE 97 south (left). This is the start of the (relatively speaking) fun part. These are the sand hills of Nebraska. We ran this stretch at between 85 to 100 mph for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. No traffic, no animals, no trees, and almost no sign of human life. Stay on 97 into Mullen. Take a right (west) on to NE 2. Take a left (south) on to NE 61, all the way to Ogallala. On the south side of Ogallala, you can hook back up with I80, and continue west. These roads are SO much less boring than the interstate, plus you avoid Des Moines and Omaha. We ran the same route (in reverse, obviously) on the return trip, but in the pitch black of night. My buddy's FJR has extra lighting, and he could really light up the road. We made good time. When I return to ride in Colorado, I WILL take this route again. It really was a great diversion, and broke up both ends of the interstate boredom tremendously.

It was great to be able to stretch the FJR's legs a little on those empty roads in the middle of Nebraska. Personally, I thought it had its' own kind of desolate beauty. Certainly less boring than the interstate. It only added 20 or 30 miles of distance, and depending on the traffic through some of the towns on I35/I80, may have possibly even shortened the time.

Enjoy your trip, Rick. Ride safe and smart, and keep us posted on your progress. (Hope you don't mind the unsolicited suggestions.....)
Thanks for the feedback. I am running the route west to Washington, then south and back home (I guess counter clock-wise). The route from Hover Dam back was just a direct freeway route due to time consideration. I am hoping to have enough time on the way back to enjoy a little more of Utah and Colorado and your suggestion of the Sand Hills. I have done a route similar to what you have suggested on other trips to to Colorado and I agree it beats the slab. I will see what time allows and how am I feeling at that point and make adjustments on the fly!

I hope you get that GPS charging glitch figured out Rick. However by going to paper maps might get you to stop and smell the buffalo chips roses a bit more.

I'm enjoying your blog a lot.

If you need anything while coming through the Seattle - Tacoma area, PM me. I have stuff on hand to take care of most things including a set of tires.

Enjoy the ride.

Looks like it will be a great trip! Hope you enjoy and looking forward to your updates!