CANbus system and sat nav

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entonox

Reaction score
Hi guys noobie here. I have a 2008 FJR 1300 ( why else would I be on this forum) with 11k on the clock. Could any one help with a bit of advice.

Does the bike have the CANbus electrical system ? ( UK bike) and I've bought a Garmin sat nav and was going to pay mechanic to install it.

Thought he would wire it to a power supply so the power was turned on/off with the ignition. He said he just connects it to the battery with the wiring supplied with the sat nav. Any advice or info

Cheers Terry

FJRs do not have CANbus.

I prefer to have my GPS powered full time, so that it does not get power cycled with the key switch, as the cycling tends to break up your track logs. You could add a manual switch, or other type of power disconnect, for use at the end of the day if you are worried about battery drain, but I have left my zumo 550 GPS connected on a bike (but powered off) many weeks at a time and the drain on the bike's battery to keep the GPS' battery charged is insignificant. You can also just take the GPS out of the cradle and there will be no drain at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ What Bounce says, put accessories on its own circuit so it can't cause problems with the motorcycle circuits.

FJRs don't not have a CANbus system!

Thank you guys...........................settled that then just to the battery with Garmins own connection kit.

Am useless with electrics............see if I make sense con you buy the powerlet lead and connect it to your optimate and charge your battery through the power outlet ( cigarette lighter type) if the front left pocket ??

Thanks Terry

Thank you guys...........................settled that then just to the battery with Garmins own connection kit.Am useless with electrics............see if I make sense con you buy the powerlet lead and connect it to your optimate and charge your battery through the power outlet ( cigarette lighter type) if the front left pocket ??

Thanks Terry
The front left pocket connector is switched through the ignition, so you can't charge through it.

As an aside, that outlet is fused at 3 amps, don't try to use a tyre pump through it.