Nice day for a ride on my new ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dances With Deer

Reaction score
So, I picked up my new 2015 FJR ES today in Rapid City, SD and wandered the two lanes home via Devil's Tower. What a great day for a ride. First leg (175 miles) Rapid City to my Gillette, WY house. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll head back to Rapid for the 600 mile service before heading to Laramie for the rest of the summer (I live in Gillette in winter and Laramie in summer).

First 175 mile impressions: I love the electronics (although I really need to read the book). Having been a "twin guy" since the 70s, I must say, the 4 cylinder 1300 engine is amazing in its smoothness and hp...lovely power delivery and torque. I love the electronic suspension, and I only used the cruise control for the 30 interstate miles between Moorcroft and Gillette, and that too rocked. Our speed limit is 80mph, so I set it on 85 and all was well. It's the 18th motorcycle in my family tree, and so far it's a keeper.

11150746_10206753753185186_216655574604350459_n.jpg

Now you get to start spending money "improving" the bike.

A custom seat and frame sliders and top box and angled valve stems and LEDs and gps and...

Looking good DwD. The PNW gang will be stopping by Devils Tower on Thursday before Spearfish...thanks for the preview.

Enjoy the new ES, you won't be disappointed!

--G

Thanks for the invite, Abercrombie FJR; I do appreciate it, but (hopefully) I'll be heading back to Laramie by Wednesday (providing that my bags show up). If I'm still in the area, I'll definitely swing by. It sounds like a fun gathering, and there's no place better to do wander rides than the Black Hills.

Congratulations on the bike DWD!

I too came from a twin ('56 Panhead), though with 20yrs. in between. I have nothing but great accolades to give this bike. Also, 3x,xxx miles on the stock seat, and here I was thinking I was the only here still using stock. Though, I do see why some prefer them, as some have issues (back, etc..) that basically require a more forgiving seat, so all aren't what you might call "pussies". I've added frame sliders (Murphy's Law enacted, so I'll never use them), GPS w/ Rambone, Bigfoot, and a Doran TPMS. Other than a tank and tailbag, that's all I've done, which is minor to some on here. More than likely, you're really going to love this bike.

All the best,

Rob

I use the word "pussies" lightly. It's kind of a standing joke between my riding buddies and me. I put a lot of miles on all manner of bicycles, and I always hassle my buddies for their seat/butt fascinations. After touring on a Brooks leather saddle, commuting on on a cut-out leather, or mountain biking on a skinny racing seat, I can't imagine complaining about a stock motorcycle seat. Funny, but I've been riding and owning my own motorcycle since I was 11 years old (I'm 58 now), and I've never yet bought an after market seat. Maybe some day...and yes, I can definitely see the need for sliders. The FJR is definitely a big old top heavy bike to push around the garage.

But enough about me; I'm loving the FJR so far. Wow, what a sweet package...and my father finally loves me again; he's 78 and still rides a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (he also still bicycles 20 miles a day weather permitting). My love of BMW and KTM twins has always disappointed him. When he learned that I had bought a 4 cylinder Yamaha, he put me back in the will. Life is good!

So, I picked up my new 2015 FJR ES today in Rapid City, SD and wandered the two lanes home via Devil's Tower. What a great day for a ride. First leg (175 miles) Rapid City to my Gillette, WY house. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll head back to Rapid for the 600 mile service before heading to Laramie for the rest of the summer (I live in Gillette in winter and Laramie in summer).
First 175 mile impressions: I love the electronics (although I really need to read the book). Having been a "twin guy" since the 70s, I must say, the 4 cylinder 1300 engine is amazing in its smoothness and hp...lovely power delivery and torque. I love the electronic suspension, and I only used the cruise control for the 30 interstate miles between Moorcroft and Gillette, and that too rocked. Our speed limit is 80mph, so I set it on 85 and all was well. It's the 18th motorcycle in my family tree, and so far it's a keeper.

11150746_10206753753185186_216655574604350459_n.jpg
.Your bike and Devil's Tower are matching color. I suppose this means the devil is in the details. You may want to consider some LED lights to make you more conspicuous. The speed limits in your part of the country are very high and the better your visibility the safer you are. The horn on the GenIII is worthless. A pair of PIAA slim line horns are inexpensive and will do the job. Enjoy the new ride!!

Last edited by a moderator: