Shit happens, if it wasn't for Bad Luck...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Shit happens, if it wasn't for Bad Luck...I wouldn't have any Damn Luck at all! From my very best riding Buddy, Brian Boles:

I met Don this morning over at Chester's Harley. We rolled off towards the north and stopped at Carefree Chevron. No one else was stupid enough to go for a ride today. We decided to do the Camp Verde / Payson loop. The riding was great all of the way up to Payson. Nice and cool once up on 260. Having a great day.

Then in Payson, things started to go south. At the roundabouts on the north side of town, first a guy cut across in front of Don, then at the next one, the guy in the right lane didn't see me and tried to go straight across. I laid horn on him and woke him up.

We were going to stop for lunch on the south side of Payson. At the downtown stop light, it started to change just as I approached it. So one of those split second decisions, I decided to do a quick stop as to not lose Don behind the light. Yes, a K1600GTL quick stop. In retrospect, probably a bad decision, Sorry Don. Turns out that a Harley cannot stop like a K1600GTL. I heard the tire squealing just after I hit my brakes and looked to the rear to see Don coming up with all wheels locked up but not slowing enough. I think the many greasy tar snakes didn't help matters.

Don skidded up on my left hand side. The right wheel of the trike went under my left saddlebag. It lifted the rear of my bike off of the ground and then dumped me down on my right side. The drag on the left of the trike made it slew to the right and then roll to the left. It pitched Don off to his left and he landed on what was (hopefully still is) his good left shoulder. The trike continued to roll until it came to rest up side down.

It must have looked very spectacular to the other folks on the highway, because the 911 calls reported seriously injured riders. Don and I aren't ATGATT riders, but we had enough to walk away unscathed. Within a few minutes, 4 police cars, 2 sheriff deputies, 2 ambulances, 1 fire truck and 3 tow trucks responded to the accident. In the meantime we uprighted the rides, and pushed them over into the shade at a gas station.

An hour of so of paperwork and photographs etc followed. After we got cut loose we took a nice easy ride back home for me and back to Chester's for Don. Gonna be a pricey stop for Don.

Thank goodness that we are both OK.

Here we are at the end of 260 before Strawberry. Don on the trike.

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

After the incident. I think every public servant in Payson showed up.

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

So basically, this right trike wheel went under

img005.jpg

This left side saddlebag. Note that it hit the muffler all the way in.

img006.jpg

This fellow has had better days. Although any riding day is better than any work day, even with some tupperware crunching.

img007.jpg

img008.jpg

The intersection, look at all of the tar snakes.

img009.jpg

Glad you are OK Don. Be careful out there and it's good that this wasn't worse as it could have been. Stay safe my friend!!

Glad you are OK Don. Be careful out there and it's good that this wasn't worse as it could have been. Stay safe my friend!!
Thanks Sam, I was having a great Father's Day until 1:28 pm until I hit the asphalt, the impact was so severe it stopped my wrist watch dead cold!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that you are both OK. I hope this doesn't put a damper on Don's spirits. A good perspective is important.

Don't make 'Zilla send his young daughter over there to straighten him out.
blush2.gif

Glad you folks are O.K. ! Dam it you got to knock this shit off. Maybe Don should have bought a Spider instead.

JSNS,

Dave

My Letter to Chester's Harley-Davidson in Mesa, Arizona"

"Dear Derek and Pam, I want to thank you for your Professionalism and Courtesy yesterday when I came in to your shop to report I crashed your H-D Freewheeler Trike! I was still in shock and stress when you two met with me, but you got me calmed down and easily processed my accident report.

After I got my riding gear off and got in my bath tub I discovered I had road rash on my left knee, left elbow and left shoulder with major bruising on my left thigh and left back. As you both said to me, I was extremely lucky I was not more seriously hurt. God was looking after me in this bike crash!

Derek you had asked me if you could return my BMW K1600GT to me tomorrow Tuesday 6/23, yes please anytime after 1030 hours works just fine for me.

Once again I want to sincerely thank you both for your help, if any of my Beemer and FJR Friends want an H-D I will sent them to You and Chester's!

Sincerely Yours and Many Thanks,

Don Stanley
480-440-4666"

Glad you folks are O.K. ! Dam it you got to knock this shit off. Maybe Don should have bought a Spider instead.
JSNS,

Dave
Many Thanks Dave, this morning with my aches and pains I am thinking a Camaro or Mustang convertible! Damn it, you I got to knock this shit off.

Glad to hear that you are both OK. I hope this doesn't put a damper on Don's spirits. A good perspective is important.
Don't make 'Zilla send his young daughter over there to straighten him out.
blush2.gif
Many thanks for your well wishes my Friend Greg, with the way that Papa Chuy Viejo feels this morning: Even Bustanut joker and RadioHowie could kick my ass!

Que pendejada cabron!

Don, I'm speechless. You need to take better care of yourself, and you go off and ride a Harley trike? Geeze man! Get a Spyder if you're going on 3-wheels. You'll just never look right as a pirate. You also don't need a matching set of bum shoulders. Sorry about the accident, it's gotta be tough mentally as much as the physical shit. Damn!

Don,

Sorry that the damn BMW short stopped you. What the hell was he thinking? I mean riding in front of you...he obviously has no wisdom at all. Serves him right. j/k Donny baby...

Seriously, we all care (well, except Old Michael) about you and wish you well.

You know, I bet even Old Michael cares.

Don,Sorry that the damn BMW short stopped you. What the hell was he thinking? I mean riding in front of you...he obviously has no wisdom at all. Serves him right. j/k Donny baby...

Seriously, we all care (well, except Old Michael) about you and wish you well.

You know, I bet even Old Michael cares.
Actually Marky-Mark, Old Michael has promised his Papa Chuy Viejo a nice reach around the next time he sees me. Just that Irish Hospitality, aye!

Damn Don!

Glad to hear you came away mostly unscathed. Be carful out there!

Ease up on the get offs!

Latest posts