Gen lll Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
What do you Gen lll peeps recommend for frame sliders? I see these https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231026785204?rmvSB=true They look nice, but durability is more important. I found some others that surpass the $300 mark. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-2014-Fjr1300-Frame-Sliders/dp/B00GY6998S?SubscriptionId=AKIAIKBZ7IH7LXTW3ARA&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00GY6998S&tag=wwwbookcompar-20&ascsubtag=5589545526a3dc05b88d6c58 WOW! I know the value of protecting the plastic, but > $300. That seems excessive. If that is what I truly need I will spend the money, but not without bitching and complaining!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the OEM Yamaha sliders on my 13 and put them on my 14 and they look great but the TRex should do the job and look good at half the cost. I think the Canyon Cages look better in person than I thought they would but I don't know if they are my thing with the big metal loop in front of the saddle bags.

Thanks for the responses. I have been doing some searching, but some of you provided some that I hadn't seen. After seeing the the price of the canyon cages if I am to spend $300 that is the way I will go. I like the looks of the T-Rex, though, but it is about performance. Maybe the T-Rex slider combined with the bag protector. .

I got the SW Motech sliders and put them on Day 1. I think they look pretty good as sliders go.

100_4650.jpg

They will not be as protective as Canyon cages, I think of them more as Tip Over Guards, but they are also not as ugly as Canyon Cages. Eyes of the beholder, I'm sure.

No, I did not have them on when I fell. I had just picked the bike up from the dealer and rode it straight to work. I crashed on my ride home the next morning.

The SW-Motech sliders that are on Fred's bike were the other "best" option for me. I agree with Fred about them mostly being tip over protection. If I crash at speed I don't think the canyon cages are going to save it all anyway.

I think those look good, Fred. I can't find torque specs on the instruction sheet. What did you use?

The torque spec is in the parts list, of all places. Assuming that you mean the larger M12 Allen head bolts that replace the engine mount bolts? Those get tightened to 75 Nm (55 ft-lbs)

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="1239437" data-author="Fred W"><p>The torque spec is in the parts list, of all places. Assuming that you mean the larger M12 Allen head bolts that replace the engine mount bolts? Those get tightened to 75 Nm (55 ft-lbs)</p></blockquote><br />

Fred, The torque specs for the upper engine studs is 45lbs/ft for OEM. There seems to be concern about pulling the threads on the aluminium engine block if over torqued. On my T-Rex sliders I went with 45lbs/ft.

I torqued mine to 55 ft-lbs tension and they felt fine.

That is an M12 bolt. Nominal torque on an M12 is 55 ft-lbs per the FSM generic torque table. I'm sure that with the large number of threads that engage on that long M12 bolt there is no chance of pulling the threads out.

But I'm also sure that the 35 ft-lbs would be fine too.
wink.png

PS - I think it is good when people look at specs like this and question it. It shows that you are thinking and that you care.

The bin-o-facts lists 35 ft-lbs for the slider bolts! Granted that section of engine bolt torque is still orange but surely the values have not changed from the Gen 2's?

Calling Wine Guy to the white phone..... trying to remember what his were.....I think they mount higher up...... might be better.

The set Madmudder has is very robust also.

Subscribed...not very happy with Motovation sliders on the '15.

Leaning towards the big $$$ from GSG Moko which offer a similar but more robust (appearing) mounting system verses OEM.

Haven't decided yet...we'll see.

--G