Adjusting Angle of Controls/Grip clusters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Riding longer and longer on my g-ride with the bars cranked all they way back and helibridged, I've come to the conclusion that the controls (levers) are (rotated) a bit forward on the bars, more suited for someone who is riding in a sportbike position, slightly less suited for a more upright riding position. Has anyone felt the need to adjust this angle, and if so, is it simply loosening a couple of bolts, rotating, and snugging it back up, or is one of the parts slotted to keep it specifically at the factory angle? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to change the angle is to go with MV riser plate, it allows 20 degree change.

All the rest do is move your bars up and towards you.

or is one of the parts slotted to keep it specifically at the factory angle?
Recollection is they're slotted (at least the clutch side) from when I parted out my '05 and comments from Warchild years ago when he powder-coated the triple tree. IIRC, speculation one might be able to make a custom slot, or dremel stuff off but have to come up with a way to clamp.

Let us know how it works out and you should take pictures of your modifications.
smile.png

I had to modify my triple clamp to allow the bars to angle closer to me a few degrees. That was all it took and it made a world of difference. I can post pics if needed.

Dan

I am not referring to the angle of the bars themselves, rather the rotational angle of the instrument clusters/levers as they sit on the bars. Iggy- thanks for cleaning up my thread dupe and placement.

Bill, when I installed heated grips a few years ago, there was a hole on the throttle side. I had to move the controls outward a hair, so we just measured and drilled a new hole. It's not very deep and is only for locating the piece.

Take it apart and look at it. It's super easy. You could rotate them to where you like, drill a new hole and lock them in place. Shouldn't be hard to do.

I am not referring to the angle of the bars themselves, rather the rotational angle of the instrument clusters/levers as they sit on the bars. Iggy- thanks for cleaning up my thread dupe and placement.
Oh, I get it. I just didn't read your post carefully enough.

Dan

Bill, when I installed heated grips a few years ago, there was a hole on the throttle side. I had to move the controls outward a hair, so we just measured and drilled a new hole. It's not very deep and is only for locating the piece.
Take it apart and look at it. It's super easy. You could rotate them to where you like, drill a new hole and lock them in place. Shouldn't be hard to do.
I just took a Dremel and buzzed off the pesky little peg. Eezee peezee.

Dan

Dan

Dan
That's the way to do it!

Only the switch clusters (including the throttle housing on the right) are keyed. The lever perches can be rotated or moved independently.

Only the switch clusters (including the throttle housing on the right) are keyed. The lever perches can be rotated or moved independently.
Not in my case. It was the front brake master cylinder that had the peg on it (I didn't need to rotate the switch cluster, just rotate the brake lever down).

Dan

Genll and lll's have that locating pin on the throttle side. I think it is a safety thing to ensure the assembly will not move if it loosens and inhibit the ability to brake.

Dan

Dan
Did the same. I leave just the slightest of nub though, seems to grip the handlebar a little better. On another note, I don't tighten the clutch and brake lever perches real hard, I leave them tight enough so they don't rotate when using but I can, with a little effort move them by hand so in the event I drop the bike, they will rotate and not snap off. Got this trick from my dirt days.