Top case realistic weight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maessell

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I broke down and bought a used (new to me) Givi top case. Monolock 45L with universal mounting plate. Couple of questions after searching about here-

1. Universal mount didn't quite 'fit', even though it is considered 'universal', thought about drilling a couple of holes in a 6 x 8 aluminum plate I had laying around and using steel tubing to create standoffs with the 3 tail bolts but after reading on here now, I'm paranoid that the subframe will crack off whilst traveling at speed and making me burst into flames while sending my new to me top case off into impending doom. Will the SR357 mount put all my fears to bed?

2. With the SR357, what is the realistic weight that I can carry? I know some people say they are loaded down with just using the standard mounting holes, but what kind of weight are we talking- 10, 20, 30LBS, or more? What can I do realistically with the SR357/monolock 45L? I'm not going to be carrying gold bouillon, but would like to get in the ballpark of the limits.

3. I am not going to take the side bags off- What is the realistic weight that I can put on the bike? (me, pillion, side bags, and top case)

Thanks for any input,

Mike

If the early gen 2's are the same as later years, total load is about 465 lbs. not including factory side cases. They are part of bike anyway.

Max load 459 lbs., compared to 474 lbs. for a 2014 model. Springing might be an issue, as earlier bikes are reported to be sprung lighter. But that's anecdotal, I only own a gen III. The givi and the SR357 should fit perfectly. If they don't, something is wrong. With an SR357 and E55, I get no handling or any other issue, even at higher speeds, even with the givi fully loaded, say, with laptop and ammo and sundry gear, or 2 12 packs of bottles. With sidecases loaded up, the wife on the back, and the top case stuffed to the brim, I can definitely feel the cumulative handling effect, but it doesn't make it handle poorly, slow or fast, just like the pig it is when at or just over max rated weight. The SR357 the key. I would not put much weight at all on the back using the OEM rack. But that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SR357 works as a stiffener for the rear subframe. Givi gives weight limits for load based on what they feel is the capability of the box attachments probably. It is capable of more and reliably so. I have proven that on many trips with my '07 and the E46. I even put the rack on the top to strap a bag with shoes and rain gear to it, because the box is completely full. Did that for a 7500 mile trip to NAFO 3 years ago and just a few weeks ago 6500 miles for SW-FOG. I just mounted a new rack and a 55L Maxia lll on the 15. I am sure I will be pushing it's limits in the coming years!

As for the load of the bike, I haven't ever weighed what I put on the bike itself, but we load it up and then hook up a cargo trailer when camping. It adds maybe 15-20 lbs of tongue weight and probably 150 or so pounds of towed weight. Never had any issues. I do have an upgraded suspension on it too.

Two up loaded with gear and bags all packed I go about 500 lbs. I also have loaded up the top box with some heavy items. It's designed to be leaned against so it's prepared to handle the pressure of weight plus passenger. I've had the E460 Givi for 7 years and no issues. Just painted it red and moved it to the 2014. I do have the Givi 357 base. Install is easy and seems solid. No issues with anything. Bike stable at all speeds.

Weighed my Givi V46 after I loaded it with "stuff" Came in at just over 40lbs.

That + Me + Debbie (with riding gear) + side cases full + tank bag. Bike rides just fine.

I'd estimate a total weight of -- 460lbs -- approx.

I inflate the rear tire to 43.

I've traveled with over 30 in the Givi, and I've done short trips, i.e. grocery store to home, with more.

Total load weight, I've never really counted it up... We never traveled together, so it was either her for a day trip, or luggage for a weekend alone. I'll go out on a limb here and say that the bike was carrying more with, um, her, than with my stuff.

Remember the broken internal bracing anyone? The tail is weak, some of the genetics from the sport side of its family. Be careful of going much past the owners manual's recommend weight that includes the top case itself. I can see the future post now...

"My tail broke, this thing is junk! Why can't my touring hold more than this tiny amount!"

^^^ Not the case with with the SR357. It eliminates the

rotational loads that were cracking the subframe.

The cantilever of the rack loads the subframe much

further from the weak end.

broken%252520bit.jpg

metal%252520meat.jpg

I think Givi quotes something like 10kg max weight capacity for their top boxes. Is a monolock case compatible with the 357??

Monolock and Monokey use different mountings.

^^^ Not the case with with the SR357. It eliminates therotational loads that were cracking the subframe.

The cantilever of the rack loads the subframe much

further from the weak end.
This, absolutely. Most of the load of a top case is carried by the grab handles in tension. The stock handles are plastic, the Givi replacement is steel tubes. Lots of people say the Givi rack is ugly, but so what? You can't see it with the case mounted, can you??? If the case isn't mounted, then why did you get it?

Givi mount is about 130 times stronger than the stock rack.

OK, maybe not 130, but it's still a LOT stringer!!.

I think it's about 122 times stronger. Hijack- I've been looking for a backrest pad solution for the wife. Givi's foam pad is generally regarded as too thick, poking into the pillion's back. Thought about gluing something, but that's bound to look like ass eventually. Then I stumbled across the luggage rack from givi. Similar in price to the pad, but looks good and gives me the option of stowing raingear or something else light on top when we're traveling and loaded. I'm going to fab a removeable neoprene sheet that snaps around or ties around the rack and hangs down the front of the case, where the passenger leans back.