Inside thighs soreness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
I bought a 2013 FJR recently and while I love the bike (still trying to get used to the tight clutch) the one thing that is bothering me is that the lower-inside part of my thighs just upwards of my knees get sore from the pressure of the seat on there. Is there mods or aftermarket seats that can help alleviate this soreness (starts getting annoying after an hour in the saddle)?

Thanks In advance.

No, there are no aftermarket or custom seat options for the FJR.
uhoh.gif

Also, whatever you do, don't think about adjusting the seat height...

There are NUMEROUS options with regards to custom seats and aftermarket seats and add on fixes. A quick search will net more information on this subject than you can possibly use. Good luck.

I bought a 2013 FJR recently and while I love the bike (still trying to get used to the tight clutch) the one thing that is bothering me is that the lower-inside part of my thighs just upwards of my knees get sore from the pressure of the seat on there. Is there mods or aftermarket seats that can help alleviate this soreness (starts getting annoying after an hour in the saddle)?
Thanks In advance.
Yes.

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking at an airhawk now, the other custom seats are gonna wait until I have my 'stich.

I'll also try and adjust the seat position but with a 32" inseam im already tippy toe

A Laam Seat will solve your problem long term, for the meantime it has been suggested that you lower your tire pressure, then you will be able to touch with the seat raised.

Welcome to the forum, it is full of good advice and sarcasm. Discerning between the two is often the funniest part. Relax the riding position and give yourself a few weeks to get acclimated to using the new muscles needed to ride the new bike. Good luck with the new ride.

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking at an airhawk now, the other custom seats are gonna wait until I have my 'stich.
I'll also try and adjust the seat position but with a 32" inseam im already tippy toe
I've got a 31" inseam on a good day, so I hear ya. Balls of the feet is all I've ever gotten on bikes. I would think an Laam for a good, less expensive seat...if you don't mind dodgy customer contact...and Russel if you have the $$. Alaskan sheepskin may be a temp fix, but until you have some support from an aftermarket seat, your thighs and but will be burning and cursing you.

I have the yamaha comfort seat and developed the same issues when first using it. It took a while butt (Pun) my body finally comformed to it. It is noticeably wider than stock even though I believe it is on the same seat pan. I use the CS as a daily commuter. I also have the RDL for longer rides and trips. I swap them out as needed.

Give it some time,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the yamaha comfort seat and developed the same issues when first using it. It took a while butt (Pun) my body finally comformed to it. It is noticeably wider than stock even though I believe it is on the same seat pan. I use the CS as a daily commuter. I also have the RDL for longer rides and trips. I swap them out as needed.
Give it some time,

Dave
Yeah, i need to give the stock seat a chance; I asked because it was a new pressure point, so I was wondering if this was a common issue..

Spork, If you want to try an AirHawk and you are not a big guy, you may want to try the pylon AirHawk. I am 5'10", 31" inseam, and 145lbs. I have been using the pylon AirHawk for over 10 years on three different type motorcycles. This type will not affect your reach to the ground and it will not widen your splay on the seat. At rest I cannot completely reach the ground flat footed unless I move forward on the seat. I have my seat in low position. Do not lower your tire pressure below 39psi front and 42psi rear. Doing so will negatively affect the handling and tire wear.

You say, "tight clutch". If the bike is new, the clutch may seem tight or catch with very little release. That is normal and will loosen up with time. If it does not you may want to do a clutch soak. Much info on this on this Forum.

What motorcycle did you have prior to FJR?

Spork, If you want to try an AirHawk and you are not a big guy, you may want to try the pylon AirHawk. I am 5'10", 31" inseam, and 145lbs. I have been using the pylon AirHawk for over 10 years on three different type motorcycles. This type will not affect your reach to the ground and it will not widen your splay on the seat. At rest I cannot completely reach the ground flat footed unless I move forward on the seat. I have my seat in low position. Do not lower your tire pressure below 39psi front and 42psi rear. Doing so will negatively affect the handling and tire wear.
You say, "tight clutch". If the bike is new, the clutch may seem tight or catch with very little release. That is normal and will loosen up with time. If it does not you may want to do a clutch soak. Much info on this on this Forum.

What motorcycle did you have prior to FJR?

I'm 200-220 6'0" but I used to lift a lot so I'm only chubby around the middle.

My last ST bike was a 04 BMW K1200GT. It was a smooth (engine and trans) and good looking bike, but the final drive possibly failing, and the servo brakes possibly failing, caused me to look at something more reliable.

I was thinking along your lines that the clutch may need to loosen up. The bike has 6900 miles (I bought it with 6300 a week ago), and those foam thingies on the hand grips that indirectly give you a bit more leverage when twisting the wrist, maybe reducing throttle precision. In any event I find I gotta rev the engine a bit higher to not lug the engine while releasing the clutch, since it appears to engage quickly with a narrow friction zone. My Triumph's clutch is pretty predictable with 9.5k on it so I was thinking it might be a model thing.

The other thing i find different is that the trans is a bit more clunky than my other bikes. My other bikes would just "click" into place when shifting up or down; this one is more of a "clunk". Maybe its a Japanese thing since my old KLR, and my friend's Ninja 650 both have a similar-feeling transmission.

The clutch hydraulic fluid, (DOT 4), may be due for a change, along with the brake fluid. I like to do mine at least every 24 months, usually every year, regardless of mileage. Speedbleeders or vacuum pump make it quick and easy. Clean and lube the clutch pivot at least every 12 months.

The clutch hydraulic fluid, (DOT 4), may be due for a change, along with the brake fluid. I like to do mine at least every 24 months, usually every year, regardless of mileage. Speedbleeders or vacuum pump make it quick and easy. Clean and lube the clutch pivot at least every 12 months.
Good point, I got my shop manual yesterday and have a mighty vac in my garage. I might get speed bleeders to speed up the process.

I didn't think about the clutch pivot, but I'll lube it up next time im in the garage.

I agree about the early engagement feel on the FJR clutch. I rode five FJRs enroute to buying my 2014, and all of them are indentical.

The first time I rode one, a 2006 model I killed the motor taking away in first gear. It doesn't take long to get used to it. I've noticed that the engine control raises rpm for you if you let the clutch out slow and don't add any throttle. Not sure what use this may be.

As far as saddle, After 1100 miles and compared to the Corbin Dual Tour on my 2007 Venture, this is a miserable excuse for a saddle. All that can be said for it is, it looks great on the bike, and it has a real non-slip covering. It is probably gonna have to go.

However one thing I've learned is not to make changes very fast. I'll give the oem saddle time to break in before I put it in long term storage alongside my Venture oem saddle. I rode the FJR this morning 120 miles with very little discomfort, so maybe the oem saddle will be ok. I have not had any soreness, or any discomfort that lasts longer than it takes me to get off the bike. I'm 205 lbs, 66 years old with a prostate that must've been already used the day the Lord installed it in me. So I do tend to have pain when sitting for long.