saddle cuts my legs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptail

Reaction score
is it normal for the saddle to cut into the upper thighs a long ride?

I'm normal proportionef good shape - tall.

I'm on the road now CA NV AZ CO UT, and I don't want to sit down after a 500 mi day.

Went to see the Piles Peak race.

I've done similar itinerary and never had the seat cut into my thighs. I use a AirHawk cushion for long road trips. Try a sheep skin or a AirHawk cushion. Others are going to suggest a custom seat.

In mid July I plan to ride out to CO and want to do Pikes Peak. How is the road surface going up there? Any idea how long it takes to get there from Colorado Springs?

I've done similar itinerary and never had the seat cut into my thighs. I use a AirHawk cushion for long road trips. Try a sheep skin or a AirHawk cushion. Others are going to suggest a custom seat.
In mid July I plan to ride out to CO and want to do Pikes Peak. How is the road surface going up there? Any idea how long it takes to get there from Colorado Springs?
Don't we have another thread going on about this same question right now? Something about sore inner thighs? If the seat is set too high or just plain does not fit then have it modified or a full custom seat.

To address your Pike's Peak question, I rode up there almost 1 year ago and the pavement was very good the entire way. The toll booth is just a few minutes to the West of Colorado Springs off of Hwy 24. You cannot miss it, there are large huge green signs like you would see on the Interstate telling you where to go.

It can't hurt to have an airhawk as an option, even if just for longer trips. On long trips, for me, position change helps. Both fore and aft and using the high and low seat settings. I went through a period recently where my seat was terribly uncomfortable on the low setting, and excruciating on the high setting. I searched and came close to buying seats and pads from others here. While I deliberated, the problem self-resolved. I had lost 20 lbs recovering from surgery. I didn't know until I'd gained half of it back and my seat became comfortable again that it was me. But really, it's always you. Good luck finding what works for you.

IMHO buying aftermarket accessories to make your seat more comfortable is a waste of time and money.

Find a good custom seat maker, do a ride in and get it fitted to your specific measurements.

Do it once and get it done the first time. Your wallet might suffer however your butt will not.

This thread sounds familiar
ph34r.png

thanks for the suggestions.

yes pikes peak is in colorado springs and you just follow the signs like the other poster said.

the road is very nice.

It hailed on us at the races Sunday.

My 2004 has adjustable seat height?

this is news to me.

For what it's worth, I can do about 600-650 miles before my stock seat becomes difficult. So far, I've been treating it as mind over matter: "No, Hud, your ass does not hurt that badly. Keep the throttle open."

Laam, Russell, Saddlemen, etc make custom seats. Airhawk and BeadRider offer cushions that strap atop the stock brick.

Search with Google: "custom seat site:fjrforum.com" I got 1,620 hits.

I would guess the extreme heat plays into the

abbrations. Wearing three layers of shorts seems to help.

About 7 years ago I did a run thru SLC where I'm at now and on to WY. Same thing happened so when I returned I had a layer of foam put on to the saddle.

Hail at Pikes Peak, lightning coming into UT, but mostly in the 100's. Sadona was 93 when we arrived after. 9pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had anything close to this issue. Wear proper riding pants.
I wear proper gear and will have similar symptoms after 10-hours on the bike. I attribute it to the seam of my Sargent Seat.

It doesn't bother me enought to get a new seat, but I know how the OP feels.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HotRodZilla" data-cid="1241399" data-time="1435699511"><p>

Never had anything close to this issue. Wear proper riding pants.</p></blockquote>

Wearing comfortable pair of "proper" Sliders.

I'll research similar thread mentioned above when I get home.

Don't we have another thread going on about this same question right now? Something about sore inner thighs? If the seat is set too high or just plain does not fit then have it modified or a full custom seat.
To address your Pike's Peak question, I rode up there almost 1 year ago and the pavement was very good the entire way. The toll booth is just a few minutes to the West of Colorado Springs off of Hwy 24. You cannot miss it, there are large huge green signs like you would see on the Interstate telling you where to go.
Thanks Redfish. Good info!!! How did you come up with the handle Redfish?

I'm a FNG here so take this for what ever it may be worth. On here (SOMEWHERE) a full review of seats was done I want to say by ignacio the board "supreme being"... Stock seats with the various ad on's such as the airhawk. He tested many of the popular after market seats, again with and without the ad ons. He tested many of the semi custom seats. The seats that take your stock seat pan and rebuild it... Again with and without the ad ons... Very interesting. But there was a home made "Butt Board" I don't remember the name. But it was a small piece of plywood cut to a particular shape that when inserted under your thighs on long hauls seemed to be a magic bullet. The thread had a link to how to build one and lots of guys who use them and swear by them. In the end he gave the Russell Day long (Semi custom) and this butt board contraption a 9.7 rating out of 10. Stock was a 5.

So you might look for that thread... maybe it will help. YMMV

500 miles on a stock seat is asking for trouble. You need to upgrade to something better.
Dave
Definitely relative... I rode many, many miles on a stock seat & really didn't have an issue with it. This guy sounds like he'd benefit from, at the very least, shaving the sides of the seat. There are many who have operated on their seat, too. I'm sure there is a tutorial here somewhere.

That "Butt Board" is made and sold by Craig Vetter ... yes, THAT Craig Vetter. There are plans on his site to make your own.

I tried everything, before I ended up doing what everyone who tries everything does ... I bought a custom seat and now, riding successive 1000 mile days causes everything to ache except my butt ... it's no longer a consideration.

I've put 60k on my stock seat. Sometimes 1400 miles at a time, and many times, 4-5k over a 6 or 7 day ride. Twisties, slab, dirt, rain, heat, and cold, and honestly, the stock seat has served me well.

It wasn't until this last trip to Cedar City that my wife had a hard time. Harder than normal. On the way home, she agreed the bike needs custom seats. Gonna spring for a Laam as soon as I remember to try to contact him during the day.