Borderline dangerous epic adventure wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
Help wanted, more like.... advice needed.

Here is the scenario/backstory. My oldest boy chose not to go on his 8th grade trip 2 years ago to Washington DC. The cost would have been about 800 bucks and he is a practical kid who realized he could spend the money a different way and even made the suggestion that our whole family of 6 could go somewhere for that kind of money. Well, we never went mostly because of my school and work schedule conflicts.

A friend of mine is moving out to the Phoenix area and did not have a way to take his corvette out there. He was getting some ridiculous bids from car transport companies that are about a grand $1000 to transport. Well, I said in passing that I would take it out there for half of that and then just fly back. We talked a little more about it and then my wife suggested taking Connor my 15yr old out there and flying back or renting a car and coming home. She knew it would be a great time for both of us and an awesome time to reflect back upon as a life changing trip. My buddy found a car company to pick up the corvette for only about 600 because of a cancellation of another vehicle. But we had already talked about the trip and have decided to go ahead and take the trip anyway.

So the plans are this. Leave from our house on July 22nd and drive to the Grand Canyon in 2 days. Spend 2 days there and then meet my brother in Yosemite on the 26th. My brother who also lives in Illinois always goes out to California to see his Father in law in San Francisco is always looking for something to do during that time, so he is going to meet us there at Yosemite for a couple of days. We are going to head back to the Bay area with them for a day and then we are wide open for advice and suggestions with one request from Connor. "Dad, I would like to have a Borderline Dangerous Epic Adventure!"

We all know what he wants, now I just want to oblige that. This is a kid who rarely asks for anything. He gets straight A's and is everything I could hope for in a son. He is a terrific role model for his younger brothers. We have 2 weeks or maybe 3 to get back to Illinois.

Please give us some advice for BDEA. We plan on camping and are taking my Ridgeline. We would like to spend a couple of days at each location before hitting the road for the next destination. Glacier, Yellowstone, Arches, Zion, Bryce, Wind Cave, Rushmore are just a few choices to do. I have very little knowledge about what the best to do is and thought the forum would be a great resource. I don't have much time to research because of my masters classes are all coming to an end in the next 3 weeks.

So here is the deal, I need some help planning the adventure. I will post up a report and plenty of pictures. We have a few ideas, but really are open to whatever happens. Thanks in advance for your great suggestions and advice.

Cav and Connor

Last edited by a moderator:
Style criticisms aside, it sounds like a great trip for a great kid. (And his father.)

The places you mention all hold the possibility for adventure. Yosemite is an excellent place for adventure; reserve a tent cabin, or just show up and hope for a cancellation. I've been lucky twice.

Also, let him climb the backside of Half Dome, that should classify as borderline dangerous and epic.

That's all I have right now, good luck with the trip.

Well Cav and Connor, if you Lads are looking for a Borderline Dangerous Epic Adventure I wholeheartedly recommend camping along the beautiful shores of Lake Merritt in Oakland, California. I was the Superintendent of Pipefitters/Plumbers on the High Rise in the middle of this panoramic shot.

Each day on this job I arrived at our construction shack with my Model 1911 Colt 45 Automatic in my tool bucket, sure enough on a Saturday while installing fire sprinklers in the parking garage entrance three Oakland Gangsters decided to rob us! They picked up half length pieces of 1-1/2" Schedule 40 pipe with the intention of braining us, their attitude changed instantly when my Apprentice and I pulled our guns out of our tool pouches! "Come on feet, don't fail me now!"

Panorama-downtown-oakland_by_Daniel_Ramirez.jpg

I don't know the water levels out there this year, but a rafting trip on one of the whitewater rivers would be cool. Have fun. ff

lol @ iggy!
Also I'm sorry to say I have no suggestions, other than at some point you must play this on the Vette's sound system
Buried in the mass of words was the fact that we are now taking my Ridgeline, but that song is bad!! The trip to the Grand Canyon is 1620 miles, that song would make it feel like 16K. I thought it was going to be Sammy Hargar on the YouTube link.

Don, we live near Danville, the have some of the finest high rise projects south of Chicago. No need to travel far to be accosted!!

What is the most awesome place you have been in the Western states on a road. My Ridgeline will go off-road some and we are up for the challenge. You have a wealth of knowledge in that ol Irish brain, help a couple fellow micks out!!!

Dude, Half Dome will be researched by the boy today per your suggestion. Thank you.

Fly, running a river there has crossed my mind as well, if there is any water out there to ride, it will be a certain possibility. Thanks.

I don't know the water levels out there this year, but a rafting trip on one of the whitewater rivers would be cool. Have fun. ff
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-kern-river-rafting-20150630-story.html flyfisher since I figured that Cav and Connor might pass on a fun filled night in the Oakland Ghetto, white water rafting was my next suggestion. I originally was a California Native, yes I come from the Land of Fruits and Nuts that has produced Old Michael, Dr. Rich, HYCLE, Rog/Deb, Bokerfork, MadMike2, Miss Tyler and Sacramento Mike; a perfect pack of Whacko Weirdos!

My Hometown was Morro Bay and rafting the Kern River was a twice yearly outing for my Wife Judy and I, left CA for ZonieLand in 1990, last year I rafted the "Killer Kern"! Unfortunately for Cav and Connor the terrible snowpack has the Kern River almost empty.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm Last but certainly not least, do not miss Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Yosemite to the North is fantastic, but just a hundred miles South is another Crown Jewel for camping and exploring!

A Land of GiantsThis landscape testifies to nature's size, beauty, and diversity - huge mountains, rugged foothills, deep canyons, vast caverns, and the world's largest trees.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks lie side-by-side in the southern Sierra Nevada, east of the San Joaquin Valley. Visitor activities vary by season and elevation
(1,370 to 14,494 feet).

lol @ iggy!

Also I'm sorry to say I have no suggestions, other than at some point you must play

Cav and Connor, you must forgive mi Bueno Amigo bluesdog! Since yesterday was "Happy Canada Day" I am sure bluesdog was completely through a case of Molson and half a bottle of Canadian Club by the time he wrote his post, we have to look after and protect our "Little Brothers" from the Great White North eh! Wicked Beauty, eh! JSNS, Hoser!

Aged_Canadian_Whisky-2.jpg
3ed2d8d7f2bffab263d7eebb27a5da11.jpg

Do one of the mule rides at the Grand Canyon, epic & borderline dangerous!
https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/things-to-do/mule-trips/ Great suggestion from marcusorelius and Duchess the FJR Forum Wonder Dog. These mule rides sell out early, so book ASAP Cav and Connor!

Our mules are thoroughly trained, and are well adapted to the unique environment and work situation at Grand Canyon. Although we have over 100 years of experience working with mules, they are animals and not always predictable. The restrictions we place on our rides are intended for safety and to avoid distracting or disturbing the mules. There are always elements of risk due to trail conditions, other trail users, and sudden appearances of wildlife native to Grand Canyon. While serious accidents or injury seldom occur, risk is minimized by carefully following the trail guide’s instructions.

Coming in from the north, I "assume" you'll be seeing the North Rim of the canyon. It's SOOO much cooler than the south, and more on your way. They also have one of the greatest campgrounds just a couple miles from the Grand Canyon Lodge, which is THE place to view the Canyon. Don't know about availability for either the lodge (they have very cool cabins, and not too expensive) or the campground, though. I'd get right on that if interested. (I guarantee you won't get one of the half dozen campsites that are perched right at the freaking edge of the canyon--I'm sure they're all booked through next year at least, but you can sure see them.)

Coming in from Utah, you'll pass right by some of the most amazing scenery in America, places like Moab (Canyonlands and Arches NP), Capitol Reef NP, Escalante Staircase, (the incomparable highway 12: not just a motorcycle road), Bryce Canyon and Zion NPs too, all lined up for you. Maybe see if you can squeeze in more time? Have a great adventure with your boy.

If you want more danger, drive really fast.

@Cav - I don't have anything borderline dangerous to suggest, but I noticed in your plan that you'll be driving out for two days and then spending two days alone with your son, but then including your brother and possibly other family members in this "epic adventure" with your son. I think I would be a bit more selfish about it and try to keep the time together just as Father and Son for the entire trip. Of course, you know yourself, and your son, better than anyone else does, so maybe you would get on each others nerves eventually and your plan is for the best?

What I can tell you is that those teen aged boys grow up. Too fast. And then they get really busy, just like you did, with their adult lives. Enjoy every moment that you can manage to steal with your boy. Your description of him sounds a lot like how I would describe my own son, who is now 29 and lives and works in another state (Vermont). I cherish the memories we have together from his teens, and of course we try to make new ones whenever we can.

Fred,

I could have made it more clear In the scenario. Connor and I are meeting my brother and his 15yr old out in Yosemite for a couple days and then going back to the Bay Area with them for a day or two. Then we are going solo for the rest of our trip. We are kinda limited at the beginning of the trip because of their short time in California. Connor and my brothers boy are great friends and it will be awesome to take in Yosemite together.

You make a great point about spending time with him as they grow up fast. We have as much as 2 weeks after leaving the Bay Area to "figure" it out on the way. Hence us looking for the suggestions.

Bug,

That sounds awesome. Please send us that info. Death Valley!! We just charged the air conditioner in the Ridgeline. Thank u for the suggestion.