TripperMike needs assistance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
So, Mike is in Charleston VA. He stopped for gas, filled up, and now bike won't start. He thought his battery died, but while trying to get a replacement, tested it and the battery is fine.

Any idea what could be going on? He says his dash lights come on and then it all dies. It has to be a bad switch or ground connection. I asked him about the Kill Switch. It's not that.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
First silly question. Is he in neutral? Side stand up? I'd trouble shoot that switch first. Bypass it if possible.

Sounds like everything is dark, not the starter not spinning.
  • Swap the battery with new anyway. Many load testers won't yield correct results on mc batteries.
  • Check wires on stater relay.
  • Wiggle starte relay fuse. Check/reseat fuse. Both are right next to the battery,
  • Check ground on right front lower engine case.
  • Is it Gen 1, 2, 3? If Gen 2, has the iggie switch been replaced? Ground spider harness?

Ok...He got it running. He said if he jiggled the shifter it kicked on. There's no shifter switch, right? Only the neutral switch and the kickstand switch from what I remember. I'm thinking his neutral switch is dirty and just needs cleaned or bypassed.

Am I on the right track? He'll be on the road in a few, I just don't want it to crap out on him on the road somewhere.

I must have misunderstood the dash light thing if it's just a neutral switch...

Last edited by a moderator:
From Mike's TOH Madonna thread in the Long distance Iron butt section?:

"I think I have it figured out. If I wiggle the shifter just so, everything comes on. But jeez is it touchy. Don't know if this might be indicative of a pending total failure down the road or just crud building up where it shouldn't.

Time to get back on the road.

Mike's in Virginia, his bike won't start, and he calls . . . Zilla?

Are you the electrical system guru around here now, AJ? Good to know. You're on my speed dial.

Hey Zilla, I'm in La Pine at Ray's place and need a tire.. can u help me?
smile.png

Don't be bustin his balls! He has been doing a superior job taken care of feejer folk. shit, I don't know when he has time to fight crime these days.

Good Job Zilla,

Dave