Leaking Brake Fluid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
I could use some advice / guidance.

The bike: 2004, non-ABS, 112,000 miles. Hasn't been ridden since Tech Day in Owosso.

Sooze and I geared up a little while ago to take the FJR for a spin. On my pre-ride walk-around of the bike, I noticed some fluid on the right side of the front rim.

I'm not a great mechanic, but I do know that that isn't where brake fluid should be.

I noticed that the right caliper is "wet."

Did this just happen? Has it been like this for a while? Did Bust do something to my bike at Tech Day? I dunno - I got nothing here, but did also notice this splooge indicator on the plastic. This could be from the brake fluid escaping or just splooge 'cause I haven't washed the FJR since before going to Canada in 2013.

The only thing I have done to the bike is I swapped out aux light brackets so I had the dash panels off and just put 'em back on.

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated. Due to life keeping me busy, I may not be able to check in on this thread for a couple of days but will pop in when I can.

TIA.

First step is to be very sure where the offending oil is coming from. Brake caliper or line = easy fix, just need some parts. Front fork = not terribly difficult either, just take a little longer.

FWIW, looks like a brake caliper re-seal is needed.

If you still wondering if the fluid in the top pic is brake fluid or fork oil, here's an easy test: just tap your finger into the fluid and taste it.

If it's the nastiest tasting thing you've about ever had it's brake fluid. Fork oil, well, just oily like salad dressing.

Now, don't tell your doctor you've been doing this as brake fluid really isn't a good thing to be tasting but stuff happens......maybe you'll get lucky...... Hope you get all repaired and on the road soon!!

Same thing happened to me.

Turns out the fork oil was spewing all over the brake line,

And running down to the caliper.

Ran a SealMate around forks.

All is good.

Same thing happened to me.Turns out the fork oil was spewing all over the brake line,

And running down to the caliper.

Ran a SealMate around forks.

All is good.
Yep - pretty sure that's what is going on here. Gonna try the SealMate solution first.

Sucks to be you Andy...good luck.
Thanks! Knowing my incredible lack of wrenching ability, I'll turn even the easiest task into an epic cluster of fscks. It's a gift I have. I may, or may not, take pictures.

Let me know if I can help Andy. Plenty of room in the garage.
Thanks! Once we get moved next week, I'll have plenty of garage space. Just not the right tools nor mechanical aptness. Should be epic! If (when) things go sideways, I'll give ya a call.

Don't rebuild your shocks by yourself. DAMHIK...
It's a Gen I A.J. No center slide, no problem. The Gen II forks are the PITA.

If that fork has never been worked on, it's due for new seals now. Just in case you need it, here is my shopping list from when I did my 2005. You need 2-each to do both forks:

Part Name, Drawing #, Part #, Price

METAL, SLIDE 2 (3) 4SV-23135-10-00 $5.52

METAL, SLIDE 1 (5) 4SV-23125-10-00 $5.88

SEAL, DUST (6) 4SV-23144-00-00 $5.34

OIL SEAL (7) 4SV-23145-01-00 $4.90

GUIDE, COVER UPPER (8) 4SV-23115-00-00 $2.11

CLIP, OIL SEAL (9) 4SV-23156-00-00 $0.62

GASKET (13) 90430-10171-00 $1.17

O-ring (19) 93210-40N50-00 2 $1.21

Last edited by a moderator:
It could just be the dust seal is contaminated. Certainly worth a try. I think you're dealing with fork oil given how much there is and that it's all over the forks and fairing. Another problem that probably led to this is that you're missing the debris shield cover (46 below). That keeps stones and debris from hitting the fork tubes which can scratch them, and let dirt get in the seals to begin with. It's part 4SV-2331G-00-00

I copied your photo, and the cover is clearly missing and is what appears to be the source of your oil loss.

18061_frontfork.gif

IMG_0719_zpsrjkzs7yw.jpg

It could just be the dust seal is contaminated. Certainly worth a try. I think you're dealing with fork oil given how much there is and that it's all over the forks and fairing. Another problem that probably led to this is that you're missing the debris shield cover (46 below). That keeps stones and debris from hitting the fork tubes which can scratch them, and let dirt get in the seals to begin with. It's part 4SV-2331G-00-00
I copied your photo, and the cover is clearly missing and is what appears to be the source of your oil loss.

18061_frontfork.gif

IMG_0719_zpsrjkzs7yw.jpg
Well spotted eagle eye............