Final Drive Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
What brand final drive oil are you high mileage riders using? I have been using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 synthetic. I have no issue with the product. It is rather expensive but one quart takes care of four service intervals. In your opinion are there other brands of less expensive synthetics available? Thanks for your thoughts.

NEPRT in 3...2...1
coolsmiley02.gif

Mobil-1 75-90

--G

I balked at the price of yamalube shaft drive oil, then realized a quart would give me 3 plus changes. I put it in a mobile one gear lube bottle for ease of pouring, so the bike thinks it's getting Mobile 1 synthetic.

Everything everybody has mentioned works..... I've used synthetic gear lube from my local auto supply, now using Amzoil ....... it's all good.

Since we're allready in NEPRT and I've been watching this thread let me add that buying some of these lubricants is really all about marketing. Yamaha is not in the lubricant business. Neither is Wal-Mart.

They both accept bids from lubricant companies that meet a certain spec. (There is nothing inherently unique about a Yamaha final drive. If the engineers call for a GL-5 lubricant for the drive, any GL-5 lubricant will be acceptable.)

Their branded lubricants are then blended and packaged by whoever the low bidder is for that contract. The duration may be for X-years, it may be for X-gallons.

So that jug of "special Yamaha lube" may in fact be poured from the exact same spigot that the jug of Quaker State lube at AutoZone was filled from. Or it may be Valvoline, Pennzoil, Shell, Mobil, etc.

In fact if the bid is awarded to another company at the end of a contract, it's not impossible that two bottles of Yamaha lube sitting on a dealers shelf (one older, one newer) could be from two different lubricant companies.