Gen II Mirrors on Gen I FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedEBiker

Reaction score
Hello,

Decided I'd post up some pictures of the finished product as I haven't seen many topics about it. My old mirrors were UV damaged as the previous owner had left the bike outside all the time.

The mirrors are OEM cerulean silver from a 2006-2007 electric shift FJR which had the same paint as the 2004.

It was a simple remove and swap with the exception of having to remove some CalSci windscreen material with a dremel tool due to clearance issues.

Comparison between the two mirrors

Where I had to dremel

Looks good to me! I can see fine behind me with stock length (not sure how some people can't...the mirrors swivel on the stalk for those that didn't know ;) ). Stock/FZ1 mirrors are uuuuuugly. I guess they wouldn't be so bad if the bike paint was black, too.

The one thing I did notice was that the Gen I mirrors are significantly lighter than the newer mirrors.

Definately a nice upgrade to the aesthetics of the bike, but you will probably still suffer the same elbows-blocking-half-yer-view as I do with my stock Gen III mirrors.

Welcome to the forum,as about their weight,yes the Gen 2/3 mirrors are quite heavier..

Also i have install the oem knuckle visors on them.Have a look at the below link..
smile.png

Also,you could add some washers between the mirrors and the bracket as i did,instead to cut the screen..
rolleyes.gif

Anyway,they look very nice!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155375-gen-2-mirrors-with-oem-knuckle-visors-installed-in-my-gen-1-bike-pictures/

Last edited by a moderator:
During the commute this morning I was able to get the mirrors adjusted pretty well. I can still see a little bit of my elbow/handguard but no more than I did with the original mirrors. I feel like I can see plenty and I always head turn to check blind spots as a habit anyway. Perhaps mirror extenders are in order for the future but for now it is fine.

Right now I have VStrom handguard on the bike installed by the original owner. I enjoy having dry hands when I get caught in a rainstorm and I'm sure they are nice in the winter. The only problem is slight clearance issues at full steering lock with the windshield. I will have to check out the knuckle guards now that I have Gen II mirrors.

Haha. Thanks, Dave!

Last edited by a moderator: