Muffler gasket installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Sold the aftermarket cans, now time to re-install the OEM exhaust. I ordered and now have in hand brand new gaskets and expect the pipes, with the gaskets between, could be snug fit. For those who have done it, what is best: gasket on the male connection, slip the female over them?; gasket inserted into the female portion, slip that over the male? or partial, insert into the female connecter, then start working it over the male part? Maybe it's machts nichts? Makes no difference? Just though I'd pose the question in advance before/in case I need the answer later.

Have fun with the sexual allusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it both ways...didn't seem to make a difference. Just make sure the male and female ends are both clean of the old gasket.

With new gaskets, I put the gaskets about 3/4 onto the headers, then carefully slip the mufflers open end over the gasket. If it doesn't look like sliding on, I'll use a piece of wood dowel to slightly open up the muffler orifice.

I also found using a very small amount of non-reactive lube -- ACF-50 --, applying a bit to both inner and outer surfaces of the gasket eases assembly.

The ACF-50 burns off during the first 30 minutes or so of a post-install ride, but will not leave a sticky residue to complicate removal of the mufflers later on, or damage the gaskets.

I've taken mine off a number of times, and replaced using the same gasket. The gasket usually comes off with the muffler, so I just leave it in ther, and am careful when reassembling to not damage the inner surface, and I'll use a touch of ACF-50 each time on the header.

Very helpful, Bluesdog and PhilJet09. Thank you. I will tackle the chore tonight and your input should make the job easier if not a snap.

Latest posts