OEM saddlebag locking tabs - one is longer than the other...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi all,

In looking at my new to me 2008 FJR (with a paltry 9200 miles on her) I noticed that the tab that goes into the subframe, located on the backside of the saddlebag, is longer on the left bag than it is on the right bag.

I took a pic of each bag showing what I mean. they both latch on securely, and when I install them, I can see the tabs going "into" the notch in the underside of the subframe.

Would anyone mind taking a look at their bags and letting me know if theirs is the same? Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks for all the help.

Scott

22465d1436409537-oem-saddlebag-locking-tabs-one-longer-than-other-image1.jpg
22473d1436409537-oem-saddlebag-locking-tabs-one-longer-than-other-image2.jpg

I'd say the tab on the right bag slipped a gear, which has led to bags jumping off bikes before. I think Wheaton fixed one.

Is this something that I could do myself? Anyone have any pics of how the bags come apart?

Locking tabs are symmetrical between both bags. Fully extended, mine measure ~45mm high.

Sounds like something is amiss with your right bag.

--G

Lol! You guys are too funny! Hey, can you please measure the tabs on your bags and let me know how far they stick out when in the locked position? I'm just curious. Thanks guys.

I believe the long tab is the one that has jumped a tooth. I need to find out how to get it back to where it belongs. It is sticking up too high.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I've seen the tips on how to force it so the tab extends up more, but am not sure how to go about adjusting the latch/gears so it matches the short one.

Help a new FJR guy out if you can. 😀

Lol! You guys are too funny! Hey, can you please measure the tabs on your bags and let me know how far they stick out when in the locked position? I'm just curious. Thanks guys.
40.5mm out, 1.5mm in.

(Click on image for larger view)

Handle closed, peg out . . . . . . . handle open, peg retracted

Showing the measurements:

Peg out about 40.5mm

Peg retracted about 1.5mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's how my right bag looks. I need to get the left tab to go back into the case more when the handle is down. Some have discussed the latch jumping a tooth. I was going to try to clamp the tab in the open position and gently push down on the handle to get it to skip over one tooth. That, in theory, should get it in line with the right side.

Any thoughts?

Usually it's the other way around.... a tab gets snagged while the handle is forced and the tab skips one tooth too far in (short)....... OK, can't explain how yours grew longer, but if it works why touch it.... jes sayin' you risk skipping more than one tooth going in as you'll have little control over it, so just advising caution.

Yeah, if the one bag is too long and the other is the correct length, I would leave the long one alone. So long as it locks securely, don't worry about it.

Yep, that's how my right bag looks. I need to get the left tab to go back into the case more when the handle is down. Some have discussed the latch jumping a tooth. I was going to try to clamp the tab in the open position and gently push down on the handle to get it to skip over one tooth. That, in theory, should get it in line with the right side.
Any thoughts?
Personally I wouldn't try to reset the tooth/teeth. Might make it worse. Mount both bags. When locked in are the equally tight with almost no movement when you push and pull on them? If so you're probably ok. But if one bags is looser than the other, then you have a problem. The bag could come off the bike. If that was the case for me I'd drill a hole thru the lower mounting tangs ts and secure it with a locking pin. There are threads somewhere here describing this fix. One of my bags had a skipped tooth and the bag would not solidly lock into place. Luckily the YES warranty replaced the bag.

Bill

As a suggestion to those who do not have this problem, when you are mounting the bags be very careful when lowering the carrying handle. Gently wiggle the bag as you are lowering the handle to ensure it is lining up with the recess in the upper frame. I believe the problem of "skipped tooth" is caused by forcing the handle down when mounting or possibly from the bag moving abruptly upward when on very rough roads. Riding with empty bags allows them to move upward very easily causing on-going pressure and wear on the gears. Just my 2 pennies worth!!

I just made an interesting observation on my 2014, related to this tab length question, which I had never noticed before: If I watch the tab as I operate the latching handle the tab extends (to around 42mm as previously mentioned) and then just as the handle reaches fully down the tab actually retracts a hair, like maybe a mm or so. When mounting the bag on the bike I feel a slight resistance at the end of the latch handle's travel and then it snaps shut as it goes "over center". The bag is very secure with no slop in the mounting at all. My '05 never did that.

Last edited by a moderator: