1st REAL ride on mt new/used FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenham

Reaction score
After weeks of upgrades, and maintenance and just basic commuting, today I rode with 7 others on a long "fun" ride of about 150 miles... The bike was a blast to ride. with 1 big exception. The stock seat is a 50 mile seat for sure (Oh $hit my ass is sore) Yes I am sure many of you are surprised by that realization (NOT) Love the power and handling, and the big fuel tank is awesome. Coming from a HD VRod with it's 3.7 gal tank and 110 mile range this is a super tanker. A few more tweaks (lower pegs a little, maybe some highway pegs) and a NEW SEAT !!! I should be able to ride for a long way !!!

Thanks to all who have helped me get it on the road

Sounds like you're hooked! If you like to have fun in the twisties be careful lowering the pegs, you'll run out of ground clearance pretty quick.

Enjoy!

--G

Seat nirvana, let the fun begin. First was the Corbin, like riding a brick. Russell day long, didn't like the wings rubbing my thighs. Sargent, things were feeling good but still searching, Then came across the Bill Mayer, wow my buns couldn't be happier. Keep in mind these were all bought second hand as I'm way to cheap to buy new. Very easy to buy and sell on the forum.

If you're ever heading toward the hills drop me a line. That is truly where the fun is. I'm right here by the Whitewater Center.

Welcome aboard and yeah, these are really fun bikes.

JT

An aftermarket shock can make twisties a lot better. An aftermarket seat is probably going to be available used at a great price for Gen I. I bet the previous owner had one and figured to cash it out. My 2005 is still younger than I am, and it's an amazing ride. Enjoy.

150 miles on the FJR can sure yield some fun and pleasure. The thing is, it will also do so for 300 miles, 400, 500...? Get a sweet thang to ride pillion and start piling up the miles. Go see your area, region and country. We have tried Corbins which are twice as good as stock (but still suck IMHO), but love the Russell Day-Long, good for 60-year-olds and a 1000-mile day. By the way, there are and have been interesting threads here on the problems (and joys) associated with group rides, including the enhanced potential for danger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest getting the seat you want before lowering the pegs. Some seats add height (my Russell does) possibly negating the need for lower pegs. As mentioned above, they do scrape the ground first. Lowering just decreases cornering clearance.

You have the best color.
rolleyes.gif