pigtail for compressor?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freewheelie

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 12v pigtail for my air compressor to plug into my battery tender. I found a couple on amazon but I don't think the wires will handle the amps. Any suggestions? Thx in advance !

As long as it is the small type compressor, like Slime model, 14 AWG wire with a 15 amp fuse will work fine. Anything larger is just overkill. Editied to add: Your battery tender cord should have a fuse. You will probably need to put a 15 amp fuse in it. No need for another fuse on the compressor wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need to re-cable the pump for an SAE connection, you can just use another battery tender cable. Don't forget to reverse the connections to get the correct polarity to the pump.

Yeah. see the mfg. doesn't say what wires are on their cig ltr. plugs. They claim to be battery tender compatible but don't give the amp. capacity. Was just wondering if anybody had a recom. for a sure thing that won't fry or blow the fuse before tire is inflated from 0 psi ?

I think my Slime pump came with a connector. That's the one I installed on the bike. Has worked great since day one. Cycle Gear and many MC shops sell them also. Never changed any fuse.

I think my Slime pump came with a connector. That's the one I installed on the bike. Has worked great since day one. Cycle Gear and many MC shops sell them also. Never changed any fuse.
I got mine from a battery tender and hard wired it to the compressor.

I may put a jump pigtail on this weekend. Just trying to decide which to order. If it was just for a pump, I'd use a slime harness. I'm more worried about being able to jump the bike or jump another bike. Electrically speaking.

...I'm more worried about being able to jump the bike or jump another bike. Electrically speaking.
Jumping a bike means that you are looking at moving as much as 40-60 amps, and if the bike doesn't start right away you may be moving that amount of current for a significant length of time. The smaller the diameter of the wire the more heat that will be generated in the wire and at the connectors, along with a significant voltage drop. IMO, you should be looking at wire closer to the battery cable size and preferably with quality crimped connectors. Ideally, a pigtail that is going to be used for jump starting should be fused at 60 amps or best yet, not fused at all (making arc welding possible if something goes wrong). Again, IMO, a remote starting pigtail should be separate from an accessory pigtail. My last few cars have had remote jump starting terminals on a pigtail which is distant from the battery.

In place of fuses for high current accessories (10 amps and up) you can get resettable fuses and self resetting fuses. When it's midnight, 31°, in the rain ;) you don't have to fiddle with fuses, simply push the reset button and you are good to go again.

I sell high quality ones on my site. Can also make up custom lengths if needed. Let me know if I can help. motopumps.com

Rob