Advice on Possible FJR Purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericgraig

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading in my Bonneville for an FJR. I ride about 85% in the city and like the Bonneville for its looks, light weight and general manuverability in city traffic. However, I also want to start to ride longer distances (300+ miles a day) but am hesitant to replace a GREAT city bike with what looks to be agreat longer distance bike. It's worth noting that I ride all year long unless there is snow or ice on the ground. I'd like to hear what others think about the utility of the FJR as a city ride. I could keep both bikes but as I rely on on-the-street-parking this is a bit of a pain.

Thanks much.

Eric

There are a lot of folks that commute on the FJR, myself included. I don't think you would have any issue using the FJR as a commuter, but I am sure you will love it as long distance rider once you have it personalized.

Granted, she's a bit heavy for daily commuting use, but that doesn't stop me...I love the machine and she hides her weight well when on the move! I think you'd like it! :D

I commute pretty much daily on my FJR. My truck usually only gets started on the weekend. Good bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used touring bikes and naked bikes for commuting. Either type can work.

Naked or standards are more fun and cooler in hot traffic, but touring bike lockable hard luggage is mighty convenient.

Thanks for all these replies. Just to clarify, riding here in New York City involves negotiating cramped city streets and tucking the bike between parked cars. It's definately a different animal than rush hour highways. I figure I'd take off the stock luggage for daily use to reduce the width of the bike but if the Bonneville is like a 10 for city riding and a Gold Wing a 1, my guess is the FJR would be a 7?

Make sense?

I think my FJR is without a doubt the best overall bike I've ever owned. I commute to work on it almost daily. I've travelled on it for up to a week long vacation. I run to the store on it for groceries or household items. I've been starting to do some LD rallies on it. Short of going off-road this bike will do anything the normal person could want it to do.

I have commuted daily on mine. Although, commuting in Dallas is a far different beast from commuting in NY.

How many of you commuters park in the street?

The FJR only has to get knocked over once to realize

the folly of your choice.

Any bike ensconced in thousands of dollars worth of

plastic makes for a poor commuter.

Where do you think they got the idea for "street fighter".

Yeah, I would stick with the Bonneville, and get a different seat for the longer rides iffn yer butt is a hurtin. I would not want to put a beauty like the FJR through a city salt bath...that would just be cruel. Stick with the nekkid.

Thanks for all these replies. Just to clarify, riding here in New York City involves negotiating cramped city streets and tucking the bike between parked cars. It's definately a different animal than rush hour highways. I figure I'd take off the stock luggage for daily use to reduce the width of the bike but if the Bonneville is like a 10 for city riding and a Gold Wing a 1, my guess is the FJR would be a 7?
Make sense?
I think on your scale the FJR would be more of a 5.

I'm thinking a 10 would be a supermoto.

I think my FJR is without a doubt the best overall bike I've ever owned. I commute to work on it almost daily. I've travelled on it for up to a week long vacation. I run to the store on it for groceries or household items. I've been starting to do some LD rallies on it. Short of going off-road this bike will do anything the normal person could want it to do.
I'm not saying the FJR is ideal for off-road, or that there are not bikes better suited for the purpose, but it is rather more capable than many assume ... This is something I know
biggrin.png

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference in terms of exposure to salt of a naked bike versus one with a fairing, etc.

Eric

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference in terms of exposure to salt of a naked bike versus one with a fairing, etc.
Eric
In exposure terms ... zero.

Salt isn't the problem, wet salt is the problem and when it is wet it gets everywhere.

If there is a difference I'd say that it is easier to wash it off a naked bike, than a fully faired bike.

SLK50's response comes closest to my thinking. Questions that come to mind:

• Do you live in the city? If so, what's your overnight parking like?
  • Where do you park while at work? Street? Parking garage? Alley??
  • You chaining/covering the bike anywhere?
I've ridden mine through the city enough and can say it handles it all fine. That said, my smaller 650 V-Strom is much better suited for that if I had to do it everyday. If possible, I'd find a bike you like for touring and then find a cheap beater for work.

I used to commute with my concours from long Island to forest hills. Parking there was never an issue. I parked either at the end of the block or by the hydrant (far enough away to avoid the ticket) the fjr isn't any smaller or larger and I left the bags on all the time. Manhattan idk may be an issue. I suppose it comes down to personal skill and how aggressive you ride.

Somewhere on this forum I've seen commuter bags? Not sure but I think the lids are just a little narrower than the standard, consequently making the bike a little easier to manipulate in tight spots.