What's with the FJR pricing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Okay, tough to get away from my trusty 08', but I do want to get a new FJR.

Thanks to all the forum contributors and reviews, I am fairly sold on the FJR1300 ES model.

Began the Cycletrader shopping and found it a bit frustrating.

Started with KBB for 2014 ES used at $12,200.00 retail; so I figure $13k a good start.

Interesting enough, the 2014 ES model is more expensive than a 2015 ES model??? What!

Granted, haven't went to any dealer and haggled just yet, but will tomorrow while traveling here in ATL.

One dealer has a used 2014 ES w/4800miles set at (Call for Quote) called, salesman said $14,600 firm. 2 days later they posted a price of $16,860

Heck, the 2015 ES is listed at 14,860.00 Some even list at $12,860 w/a couple of rebates.

Even more, the 2014 A model (new) is listed for $11,860 and yet the 2014 ES model (new) is at $15,860 (varies with different dealers, not by much)

These bikes were $1,000.00 bucks apart 2 yrs ago, how is it the spread is now $3,000 to $5,000 different in pricing?

Wife likes the red color, and I said I would get it before I started my research. Seen the 15 ES in person, not crazy about the color. Personally Like solid colors.

Anyone has explanation for this surge in 2014 ES pricing. They still have new 14's, so it can't be a shortage..???

That red 2014 ES paint is in high demand and can be expensive.
smile.png
I moved from the 2013A to the 2014ES and know the price.
fool.gif

All joking aside, I think the red 2014 ES is a popular model and supply and demand sets the price. Maybe I finally found an FJR that won't depreciate like a rock. There is no way I would let my 2014 ES with 4100 miles go for $14,600 and have to move to the 2015 color.

EDIT

Just did a search and it looks like the 14 ES is priced proudly. My best search effort shows

Gainsville Motorsports GA at $13,488 new

Marietta GA $14,494 new

I found reasonable priced used ones at Cycles in Beverly MA, Berts Mega Mall in Covia CA, and 4 used 2014 ESs at Ride Motorsports Woodinville WA.

Good luck with the search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considerably more than I paid brand new in November 2014. I think between the economy and the season, they're selling bikes and feel comfortable raising prices. I don't see last year's model appreciating unless some pandemic was found to exist with the current year model.

Let's just say that some advertised prices, especially those of the online variety, are not what you will end up paying. The only numbers that actually matter is what people actually shelled out to buy them. The rest is sales puffery.

The ES models are holding their price closer to msrp when new, or book value when used, due to high demand. The A models are somewhat more available, thus more heavily discounted, so you will net a larger than $1000 msrp difference.

For better or worse this is the "system" we have for purchases of most big ticket items (homes, cars, motorcycles, etc) It's a system of having to negotiate for your best price, shady advertised prices with hidden fees, bogus rebates, and incentives and last minute add-ons.

Why we allow these sort of business practices only in the highest cost purchases that we make is a good question. Imagine if you had to haggle over the price at the local grocery store when buying a gallon of milk.?

I paid $13,395 (before tax and title/Registration) for my 2015 ES. The dealer was using Yamaha incentives to provide that price. Apparently I traded in an ATV. I didn't sign anything that said that, but that is what they recorded. MSRP is $16,890.

As for current pricing on Gen lll models, it is kind of depressing. It really doesn't look good for selling my '07!
sadsmiley.gif

Thanks for the input.

So my search was as follows: Cycletrader showed several dealers in the ATL selling the bike.

Visited two dealers both under the Freedom powersports umbrella. They not only did not have a ES on the floor, they didn't have a ES model to sell at all.

SO WHY NOT TAKE the ad down????

Not a 14 or 15 ES or A.....WTH????

Looks like there isn't one to be had. Proud to be in the FJR family where the King of the Brand is in high demand.

The search continues.......maybe the Used 14ES is still available.

First, be patient. Second, be an informed buyer and determine what the "real" price of a new or used FJR is. There is no shortage of new or used FJRs if you're willing to travel a bit.

Perfect excuse for a fly 'n ride!

Happy searching!

--G

When I was still working at the dealership ( which incidentally,, I'm not anymore) I had been looking for a 14 model to get for 'Pants. I was looking also for the ES in case that's what he decided on. Now this is a couple month old information,, but there was an A model in Monroe,La. And Halls motor sports located in Mobile and New Orleans should have ES model and possibly an A. Like I said,, that is from couple months ago. Call them soon. You might just luck up.

Trying to find logic in dealer pricing is pretty futile. Some dealers overprice by a large amount while others want to move bikes. I've been noticing many things over the past couple months about FJRs new and used. First there aren't exactly many of them out there compared to other bikes. Second, and what somewhat concerns me is that used ones dont sell that fast even at great pricing. These are just my observations watching fleabay, craigslist, forums and cycletrader. I never buy a bike thinking I'd sell it anytime soon but I try not to take losses on them either. Or get stuck in a position where I have to take a bad offer just to get rid of a bike and buy the next one. Anyways this is just my ramblings... sorry. I took a ride on a new ES model and loved it. Of course its not the same as living with the bike but its as good as it gets until I would buy one (or take another demo ride).

There is a dealer near me that has great pricing on brand new FJR's. $12,800 for the A and $13,800 for the ES not including taxes title and tags. Have seen some prices lower but they aren't near me. And like you mentioned there are many dealers trying to sell 2013-2014's for more money than a 2015. The red is a great color if thats what your after. Maybe its just me but Yamaha color choices in the past are fairly mundane. But then so are all the other manufacturers. It'll be interesting to see what the 2016 color turns out to be. Anyways good luck with your search!

Resale value only matters if you intend to re-sell.

Sport Touring is a small segment of the motorcycle world. FJRs represent a small portion of that small segment. Of course they do not sell fast, either new or used, unless priced right. People are not clamoring to buy them, so it is a buyers market.

When I was looking to buy my first FJR, price was an important issue to me. Why? Because I wasn't sure if I would like it, and wanted to be able to flip the bike with minimal loss if I didn't, just like I had just done with several other bikes preceding it. As it turns out, that 2005 FJR that I bought @ 1 year old stayed with me for the next 8 years and 90k miles.

When I bought my new 2014ES last year the price I paid was not very important to me. Why? Because I already knew that this is the bike for me. Regardless of what other bikes come out in the next few years, or even what changes they make to the FJR for 2016, or beyond, I will be keeping this FJR at least as long as the last one.

FWIW - The dealership offered me $4k for my old '05 w/ 100k miles on it. I refused the offer and "sold" it to my son for that amount (actually took his old bike in trade). I had only paid $9k for the bike back in '06. I'm thinking that $5k for 8 years and 90k miles of reliable fun was an awesomely excellent deal. Hell, it would have still been a great deal at twice the price.

I expect to get a similar "return on my investment" from the new red one. YMMV

Well said. I've spent quite a bit, for me, on bikes,bike maintenance, bike repairs, and an endless supply of the stickiest of the icky. I try to buy smart, but in the end, for the enjoyment I get and mileage I put on, it's money well spent, and would be worth it at twice the price. Even when I got rid of my R bike, it was more from frustration from downtime associated with repairs rather than the exorbitant cost. Resale is a far more important concern if you plan on flipping in a couple of years. If your intent is to engage in the ritualistic wearing-out and thrashing of the bike, it's not really a big deal.

How do you know if you got a good deal? A good deal is when you walk away smiling and happy! Seriously, no matter how great of a deal you get, there will always be somebody who did better... I paid what I paid this spring for my 15' ES and I am extremely happy about it. I got what I felt was a great deal... However, I have seen people post better. Fred and Lumberg hit the nail on the head. My advise is to figure how much you can afford, then just get exactly what you want, even if it means waiting til next year. It's only when you settle for less that you start to feel unhappy and start looking for things to be upset about.

Of course, since my little ATV accident in June I haven't sat on anything... And will be lucky if I can get back in the saddle by mid October....

When I was looking for my FJR I just basically went to the two closest dealers to me. First dealer had a 2012, 2013, 2014. 2014 was priced at retail. 2013 was $1000 off, 2012 was $2000 off. Since the 2012 was still sitting there it told me they had no problem letting a bike sit. I tried to deal. Nope.

I really got the feeling the dealership just concentrated on selling PWC, sport bikes and four wheelers. It's almost like Yamaha made them have an FJR on the floor. So they put them on the floor. If they sold for MSRP fine, if not then the dealer didn't have to order another one. Now the salesmen didn't actually say that, but that's the feeling I got.

I walked and never even got a follow up call to see if I was interested.

Second dealer had a 2013 and a 2014 coming. They were slightly more motivated to sell. Ended up buying the 2013 there.

There was $1000 difference in the 2014 Red ES and the 2013 A at the time. I wish now I would have gotten the ES, but just not a fan of red.

Latest posts