2013 handlebar risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesjammer

Reaction score
Looking at buying a slightly used 2013 and need to fix the handlebar reach. My question, how large a handlebar riser, up and back,can I get before I need to change the cables?? Thanks,

Steve

Look at the specs on MCL (motorcycle larry) and Helibars. Heli requires a simple and quick extension to the brake line, and no other extension. No bleeding was necessary for my install, just plug and play.

Also MV Motorrad. Wrestle the cables/hoses, but no extension needed. You pays yer money and takes yer choice. From their website:

The handlebar adapter plate brings the bars not only 40 mm closer and 23 mm higher to the driver but it is adjustable in the angle of the handholds by up to 20° so that the hands are straight with the arms.

The mounting needs less than a half hour. All strings are long enough.
(Note: "strings" = cables/hoses.)

The conversion needs less than an hour and is not complicated.

We supply our handlebar plate with an M6 thread and a 25 mm ball which can be used for attaching the GPS.
(Note 2: RAM ball mount included.)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Helibar risers are 1" or so. No cables needed to be changed, BUT the top of the tree needs to be removed in order to cut and remove the wire braces.

Even the instructions warned 'this is not a simple mod' so I had help at a tech session.

The help was grand and the bar risers work great! (move them forward to gain another 1/4" or so)

On the MCL riser. Do you have to drill out the screws that hold the ignition switch in the stock piece in order to remove it like in the video?

Problem with the Heli-bridge (and likely all of offset risers) is that you will most likely hit your bars on your tankbag at full lock. I bought a much small Givi and it STILL hits the horn on full left.

er... full right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with the Heli-bridge (and likely all of offset risers) is that you will most likely hit your bars on your tankbag at full lock. I bought a much small Givi and it STILL hits the horn on full left.
Actually the HeliBar isn't bad in that respect. If I am somewhere that I need to lock the front the tank bag will not be there anyway. As for riding, except for a slow speed turn around like a U-turn, It isn't a problem. Oh wait, I just realized who posted this!
rolleyes.gif

Just put the MCL top tree set up on my '15. Feels great. I would recommend getting the drill jig, as you do have to drill the ignition bolts off. the tool works fine and makes quick work of it. The triple tree is a fine piece of work.

I went with a set of SSR risers, as far back as the stock option allows. Better than before, but still working on the Yoda position.

On the MCL riser. Do you have to drill out the screws that hold the ignition switch in the stock piece in order to remove it like in the video?
Yes, it's not too bad a job. The switch bolts aren't all that hard, so center-punch and a couple sharp bits make quick work of the bolt heads. As mentioned, the drill jig helps the process but isn't absolutely necessary.

--G