Donner Lake Mist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the pleasure of showing my good Canadian friend Dustin both Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe on his way to Colorado. Dustin and I met through a FZ1 forum about four years ago and have ridden together once a year since then. He is the fellow who was riding with me when Bambi totaled my FJR near Mt. Saint Helens almost 3 years ago so we have a bit of a bond from that rotten day.

As usual for a Canadian he his just a nice guy and we always look forward to his visits. Perhaps I could learn a thing or two about minimalist packing as everything he needed was in the top case but that's not going to happen when I'm on the Hippo.

Here's Dustin ripping up 1-80 on his VFR.

IMG_1176_zps4am7stf2.jpg

We stopped at the Donner Lake overlook on the Lincoln Hwy, yes it's named for the famed Donner Party https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party of 1846.

The morning mist over the lake was a sight to behold.

IMG_1180_zpsq1jpbxs3.jpg

You can see interstate 80 on the left in this picture.

IMG_1179_zpsdtgfw3vd.jpg

By the time we rode down past the lake the mist was almost gone but here's a shot on the go along the lake.

IMG_1193_zpsa7jrxgcs.jpg

I did ride with him to Fallon, Nv. for lunch and then he was off to Ely while I headed west for home. Rode through a thunderstorm in Reno complete with lighting and a heavy downpour. The Hippo is at home in the wet and because it's double darkside it stuck to the wet pavement( including a few small lakes on the road) just fine.

One more from the overlook, ride safe my friend!

IMG_1189_zps8qqk1kgz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesu Cristo Dougie Bear, if I would have known you wanted to be in a car with your Amigo Dustin I would have lent you my BMW M3S Convertible.

That way you could've left the Wing-A-Bator (rhymes with Masturbator, ese!) in your Peardale Garage! JSNS, Friends don't let Friends ride Wings!

Yesterday? As in Wednesday? For crying out loud, riding on a weekday??? You self employed guys drive me nuts, but glad to see someone is out having fun.

BTW, good to see you recently and yes, you look sexier on the Ktoom.

*Like*
Never get tired of pics of the Sierras, thanks 'Bug.

--G
Come on down George, we have room and La Porte Road is waiting.....Bring the S10 and I'll show you why I like the suspenders on the KTM.

Yesterday? As in Wednesday? For crying out loud, riding on a weekday??? You self employed guys drive me nuts, but glad to see someone is out having fun.BTW, good to see you recently and yes, you look sexier on the Ktoom.
Hey John, come with me SATURDAY when I'm working, I'll teach you how to deal with Puncture Vine at 2 qt per acre. ;)

And yes my butt does look 10 lbs lighter on the 990!

Beautiful pictures - hard to believe ya'll can't stand there even for a minute to take a picture in that riding gear. Of course I guess it's probably not 95 degrees with 70 percent humidity either.